Craigslist Glen-L 21CB?

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

Bill Edmundson

Re: Craigslist Glen-L 21CB?

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed May 31, 2017 8:35 am

Locutus

We used to have a problem with handrail on the coast. When you weld pipe sometimes you need to leave vent holes. Hot and cold cycles pulled salt air into the inside. After a few years, what had been a solid rail might just crumble in your hand. That's not good 200 ft. up.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Locutus

Postby Locutus » Wed May 31, 2017 8:37 am

I'll also look into the possibility (and cost feasibility) of just replacing the tubes with galvanized tubes or C-channel. Also may replace the nuts and bolts. I don't want to spend too much though because then I might as well just buy a new trailer.

Locutus

Postby Locutus » Wed May 31, 2017 8:46 am

Found two products: Ospho and Corroseal. Corroseal appears to be the better of the two.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/u ... do?pid=557

http://corroseal.com/

Locutus

Postby Locutus » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:27 pm

Doggone Photobucket is holding photos hostage now. I may fix my previously posted photos later. Meanwhile, I installed and raised the sails for the first time today. All the rigging seems to be present. Now that my Skipjack is finished it's time to turn my attention to getting this boat ready to launch. I don't think it will need much besides a kicker outboard.

Here's a photo of the boat with the sails up for the first time. They're a bit saggy but otherwise seem to be in good condition. They are the offical Glen-L 21 sails with logo.
Attachments
IMG_0515.JPG
1975 Glen-L 21 CB on SnowCo trailer

dbischa

Postby dbischa » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:43 am

Looks like a great find, hopefully there's no hidden problems. Have fun restoring and sailing her!

Locutus

Postby Locutus » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:46 pm

I bought an old Mariner 2 HP outboard, so I was finally able to take this boat out on the water on Sunday after a few maintenance items and a wash. The boat performed surprisingly well, and pointed high to windward. It seems seaworthy enough, doesn't leak, and the ride in the cockpit was pretty dry too, with only a little spray making it's way over the cabin top. The winds on Lake Washington were pretty brisk so it was a good shakedown sail.

Setting up the rigging takes about a half hour. Note the little wooden gizmo on the motor mount. The motor is a short shaft version so I slapped this together just before taking the boat down to the launch. It lowers the motor about 4 inches below what it would otherwise be. It turned out to be needed, to get both the propeller and the cooling water uptake submerged.
IMG_0517.JPG
Setting up the rigging at the boat launch

Me enjoying the sail.
IMG_0521.JPG

First mate (brother in law) enjoying the sail. He used to own a Coronado 25 so I brought him along for his experience, since I myself am a sailing neophyte.
IMG_0522.JPG

The boat proved itself worthy on this shakedown, so I plan to take it up to the San Juan Islands later this month for about a week. Lots of preparations are needed prior to that though.

rleete

Postby rleete » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:32 am

Very nice. More pics of the interior?

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:32 am

Looks like you got one heck of a deal for $100. The only place I know of that you could have gotten one cheaper is Bill Edmundson.

Happy Sailing! :D

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:03 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Locutus

Postby Locutus » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:25 am

BayouBengal wrote:Looks like you got one heck of a deal for $100. The only place I know of that you could have gotten one cheaper is Bill Edmundson.

Happy Sailing! :D

Yeah and I got the outboard motor for $100.00 too. Total for boat, trailer, motor, title transfer, taxes, tabs and parts so far is probably less than $400.00.

Coming up in preparation for my cruise is an inflatable dinghy that can mount the same outboard (about $50), a butane/propane dual fuel single burner stove (about $40) and some construction inside the cabin for a porta potty platform and galley/chart table. Cost for that is not yet known. Oh and I'll need navigation and anchor lights too.

I've already put together a chart book for the San Juan Islands and Puget Sound. These are free downloads from NOAA and I printed them in color for free at work (better printer than I have at home). I printed the 8.5" x 11" booklet format. With sheet protectors they completely filled a 2" binder.

I also have a handheld VHF with GPS (position only, no plotting) that I bought second hand, and I'll probably just use my hiking compass on a lanyard.

Locutus

Postby Locutus » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:38 pm

I took the GlenL 21CB up to the San Juan Islands for a week. No real issues, but it's definitely under-powered with only a 2 HP motor. I'd say 5-6 HP would be about right. I built a little galley counter with sink that drains into a Homer bucket. faucet is the spigot cap on a Coleman 5-gallon jug laid on its side. Pretty simple set up. No room for the portapotti in the cabin so I put it at the back of the cockpit. Leaking around the swing keel trunk is only about a quart a day, I just sponged that up each morning and evening. Winds were intermittent and generally fairly light so I ended up motoring most of the time. There was only one time where a gust suddenly heeled me to about 40 degrees and spun me into the wind. That was a bit "interesting." :shock:

Anyway here's a sampling of my photos from the trip.

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0570.JPG

IMG_0577.JPG

Locutus

Postby Locutus » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:44 pm

More San Juan photos.

IMG_0604.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG

IMG_0628.JPG

Locutus

Postby Locutus » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:48 pm

One more. At the Friday Harbor breakwater waiting for a slip.

IMG_0667.JPG

Finally, I couldn't resist this one of a classic wooden Schooner returning to port at Friday Harbor.

IMG_0674.JPG

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:37 am

Looks like a great trip.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Locutus

Postby Locutus » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:06 pm

I'm thinking of adding ballast to the bilge to increase the boat's stability in gusty conditions. I had a few "interesting" moments when the boat heeled way over in gusts. :shock:

The empty boat is probably about 1500 pounds with maybe 400 to 500 pounds of that being the steel plate swing keel. So that's about 25 to 33 percent ballast/displacement ratio. A better ratio would be 40 plus percent, but since bilge ballast is higher up than a heavier keel would be, I'm thinking that I should bring the ratio up to as high as 50 percent. That would entail placing up to 500 pounds of lead plates or ingots in the bilge, half on each side of the swing keel trunk. This would bring the total weight of boat and ballast to about 2000 pounds, with the ballast being 900 to 1000 pounds.

The prospect of doing something like this poses several questions:

Can the boat safely accommodate the additional load on its structure?
Will this really add any stability in gusty conditions? Is it a worthwhile modification?
Can the plates/ingots be simply placed on the floor or should they be fastened/glued in place?
Where can I find the ballast cheap or free?

Anyone care to comment on this?

Return to “Sailboats”