I'm a Boat Builder! G-L Ski Tow under construction!

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Mark-NJ

Re: I'm a Boat Builder! G-L Ski Tow under construction!

Postby Mark-NJ » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:21 am

Well, I'm reluctant to use the word "done"....I'm still making the 4th section of floorboards, the seats aren't screwed in yet, and I have to install deck hardware. Still, for all practical purposes...I"M DONE!

Avert your eyes away from the missing floorboards, ok? :)

This tank was a mess...$15 bucks on craigslist, however there was zero rust inside! So I sandblasted it, primed & painted, then put on a repro decal. I like it!

The steering is connected with rope right now, but I intend to put on 3/16" stainless 7x19. Then again, I remember as a kid when the 20 year old rope [not wire] broke on Grandma's boat, dad replaced it with vinyl-covered clothesline, and it lasted another decade. I'm not altogether TOO concerned about braided nylon line.

Backseat does, indeed, fold down!

The only thing left to do today is put the name on the transom. It is considered extremely bad luck to reveal a boat's name until the name is ON the boat, so you'll all just have to wait a few more hours! It's a short name......do I put it on the port or starboard side? I say port.....wife thinks starboard. Anyone care to opine?

As an added bonus, we're headed to Maine over 4th of July weekend for a party....and the town office is open on Monday 7/3!! I've already made an appointment to stop in and do my registration. So when we go back in August for vacation, I'll already have numbers on the hull, and she can go straight into the water.

I have to dash......I'm going to do a 'bucket test" of Grandma's old engine. Wish me luck! (I haven't run it since I converted it to a one-line, fuel pump system.)

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:10 pm

Bucket test.....yes! Scratch that off the "bucket list"...!!

Ibrew2be

Postby Ibrew2be » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:34 pm

Mark:
You have done an absolutely wonderful job with your build. Thanks for all of your posts.

I can't say I noticed anything about floorboards :) , but I did notice for the first time that the recoil seems to be missing from that beautifully restored Evinrude of yours. I'm sure there's a story there...care to fill us in?

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched. Thinking hard about Boat 2.0

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:17 pm

Very nice. Have enjoyed following along. I bought the Total Boat varnish based on your great reviews of it. Looking forward to trying it in the next week or so.

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:22 pm

Thanks for the kind words.

Recoil? meaning the pull rope? If so, it's not missing. When you open the cowling, it snaps back in. Kind of a PITA, actually. In these pictures, the handle is inside the cowling....but it's there.

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:38 am

Hi Mark,

Great job on the build. Grandma's Evinrude looks cool on the transom.

I vote for the name on the port side. I've seen a lot that way.

Enjoy,
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:02 am

Outstanding Mark, The Evinrude looks great on the boat. The boat looks superb. Congratulations.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

BillW

Postby BillW » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:22 am

Really beautiful boat.

Mark, it's a good thing that you followed instructions, per this attached photo.....

You could have the name on the left, and on the right, in smaller letters:
"Glen-L Ski Tow, 1957" ( or whatever the design date).
IMG_1267.JPG
IMG_1267.JPG (48.84 KiB) Viewed 1273 times

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:53 am

Barrel test...that's priceless!

Anyway, I promised a name, didn't I? Well, sorry to disappoint, but the name is not "Glen-L Ski Tow, 1957"

Long before the "keel was laid", I had a name in mind. In fact, I was certain of it. But as with all aspects of life, things have a way of changing.

Since I was a young kid, and continuing through to this day, I've always had a head full of grand schemes & dreams, many of which I've brought to fruition. Some were hairbrained & never left the drawing board. And while the naysayers were always quick to laugh at my follies, there was one person who always encouraged my dreams....who always said "you can do it!"....who always said "I have faith in you".

"Build a boat? Are you nuts?" I've heard that a lot over the last year. But that one consistent voice was always there, saying "go for it".

My mom.

If you've followed this build, you know that I lost her last October....and that's OK. She had a great run! But, unfortunately, she didn't live to see this finished.

Somehow, over the last month or 2, the previously-selected name fell by the wayside. With every passing day, it seemed more & more fitting to name the boat after her. And it's her mother's engine that's powering it!

So here's a small tribute to mom...."PEG"

Last edited by Mark-NJ on Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:31 pm

Mark

I wish we had a like button. My Bartender is named the "Francis Lauren", after my mother and wife. Both knew I could do it!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:32 pm

Looks really cool, see if you can make it to the Gathering! We would all love to see your boat

Matt B

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:07 pm

Mark, the boat looks great. Can't think of a better way to pay tribute to your mom.

Bryan
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Toopilot

Postby Toopilot » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:23 pm

[quote="Mark-NJ"]Barrel test...that's priceless!

Anyway, I promised a name, didn't I? Well, sorry to disappoint, but the name is not "Glen-L Ski Tow, 1957"

Long before the "keel was laid", I had a name in mind. In fact, I was certain of it. But as with all aspects of life, things have a way of changing.

Since I was a young kid, and continuing through to this day, I've always had a head full of grand schemes & dreams, many of which I've brought to fruition. Some were hairbrained & never left the drawing board. And while the naysayers were always quick to laugh at my follies, there was one person who always encouraged my dreams....who always said "you can do it!"....who always said "I have faith in you".

"Build a boat? Are you nuts?" I've heard that a lot over the last year. But that one consistent voice was always there, saying "go for it".

My mom.

If you've followed this build, you know that I lost her last October....and that's OK. She had a great run! But, unfortunately, she didn't live to see this finished.

Somehow, over the last month or 2, the previously-selected name fell by the wayside. With every passing day, it seemed more & more fitting to name the boat after her. And it's her mother's engine that's powering it!

So here's a small tribute to mom...."PEG"

Image[/quote

Amazing and best name you could give her!

It will always make everyday aboard your build that much more special!!
Tim

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:10 pm

Looks great, nicely done! And the "period correct" outboard is a great touch, you must be very proud! Your mom definitely would be!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:46 am

Did I say I was "done"? Did I?

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!

Remember the epoxied-inserted nuts? All the work of re-tapping?

The whole time I was thinking (as I'm sure some of you were, too), "I wonder how long before some of these pull out?"

Answer: Not very long! They just didn't work at all.

So I had to rip them all out, drill the center hole for the shank of a T-nut, then cinch a T-nut up from underneath....

....which was a complete failure, as the T-nut didn't grab "permanently" into the Sapele, and they would fall out with virtually no effort.

Plan B: Sink them from the top & epoxy fill.

First, I had to core out all of the old hole to 3/4" with a Forstner bit, then center-drill for screw clearance:

Then test fit a T-nut with screw:

Then set the T-nut with epoxy, using a nylon screw to keep epoxy out of the threads. This time I only engaged one thread so I wouldn't repeat the last fiasco.

Simple, right?

Turns out this "solution" was anything but.

After the epoxy was cured, I put the floorboards in and inserted the screws. Something amazing (bad) happened...but let's step back a moment. Originally I was using Silicon Bronze nuts and 2" long 416SS screws (because I had those in stock from a different project), all in 10-32 thread pitch. Since this was a "do over", I used 10-24 thread, 304 (aka 18-8) SS T-nuts & screws.

Now, since the initial plan was to have the T-nuts come in from the bottom, I needed 2" screws, which is what I bought. But since I ended up putting the T-nuts on top of the frames, I don't need nearly as much length. No matter, though.....right?

Wrong.

I installed the floorboards, and chucked a #2 philips bit in my battery drill, figuring this would "speed up" the process of setting these 2" screws. I then proceeded to drive home the screws. That's when the "fun" began. Sometimes going "in", but more usually going "out", the screws would jam.....as if they were cross-threaded. But they weren't! The threads were fully engaged at that point, but the screw & T-nut were locked together tight. Wouldn't budge. Some went in & out OK, but 6 out of 12 locked up hard. OK......all stop. Need to figure this out.

With the aid of a 300W soldering gun, I was able to heat the epoxy and remove the nuts.

Was it my floorboard design? Were there 10-32 nuts / screws mixed in with these 10-24s? Was there an alignment problem? No, No & No. What the heck is going on?

Removing the boat entirely from the equation, I clamped a T-nut into a vice. I hand-inserted a screw, and screwed it all the way in by hand. No problem. In fact, the threads engaged as you'd expect a course thread to: kinda lil' bit sloppy. Repeated this with my fingers 2 or 3 times. No problem.

Then I repeated the process with my battery drill, and had the oddest "eureka" moment: fast in...ok, fast out.....and the threads bound up hard.

Google to the rescue:

Thread galling is a common, yet seldom-understood problem with threaded fasteners. Galling is often referred to as a cold-welding process, which can occur when the surfaces of male and female threads come in contact with heavy pressure. The truly annoying aspect of fastener galling is that these same nuts and bolts are found to meet all required inspections (threads, material, mechanical, etc.), but yet they are still not functioning together.

Stainless steel fasteners are particularly susceptible to thread galling, although it also occurs in other alloys which self-generate an oxide surface film for corrosion purposes, such as aluminum and titanium. During the tightening of the fastener, a pressure builds between the contacting thread surfaces and breaks down the protective oxides. With the absence of the oxide coating, the metal high points can shear and lock together.

Minor galling may cause only slight damage to the thread surface and the fastener may still be removed. However, in severe cases, galling can completely weld the nut and bolt together and prevent removal of the fastener. Often times, once galling begins, if the tightening process is continued, the fastener may be twisted off or its threads stripped out.

Well, I'll be damned!

The quoted article goes on to say the issue is worse with 304 SS (guilty!), compounded when the bolt & nut are the same material (guilty!) and to slow down the tightening speed to reduce heat (very guilty!)

So, today, all T-nuts that jammed have been removed & replaced. All of the others have been chase-cleaned with a tap. And as long as I use a screwdriver to install my screws and I don't over-tighten, I'm hoping I'll be A-OK. If your project calls for SS bolts & nuts, you heard it here first: No battery drills!!!

Add this to my adventure: This is not a "boat work day". This is a "sit in the house with the AC on and watch TV" day...

Return to “Power Boats”