1st timer. Boat for Camping?

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

mahai217

1st timer. Boat for Camping?

Postby mahai217 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:29 pm

Hello,

I'm currently building a small, teardrop trailer and found there is a little crossover between boat building and camper building. I know next to nothing about boats and wondering what type of small boat would be good for weekend camping on a lake?

Thanks!

John

Roberta

Re: 1st timer. Boat for Camping?

Postby Roberta » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:07 am

Welcome aboard!! There are several smaller boats and larger ones that have been used for camping and overnighting. Check out the Outboard boat section for simpler designs. Plenty of help available on the forum for building assistance.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Coleman

Postby Coleman » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:00 pm

A lot will depend on what gear you plan on using and if you plan to sleep on boat or on shore, I have done both numerous times.

If you are on skinny water a l16-18 ft jon boat with everything in a garbage bag is by far the easiest. If your packing light a canoe works fine. Assuming you need a tent and all the associated gear.
For several years I had a 24 ft pontoon boat. At night we strung a small tarp from the front of the partial roof, laid out a foldaway cot, put the kids on the couches and we all slept well even during light rains... with a small grill, we only landed to swim or explore....

Few things are better than sitting there late evening or early morning just enjoying the scenery, peace and quiet.....

Oh and if shore camping, though bulky a lawn chair is worth the weight.... in my opinion....

galamb

Postby galamb » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:32 pm

Well, if you are hauling a trailer unless you want to haul two trailers (and I see that quite often when fishing in Northern Ontario) you will want a "car topper".

I would be inclined to build a nice cedar strip canoe. Easy on/off the vehicle and is usually enough if you are out simply for a weekend where "camping" is more of the focus.

(and I have assumed here you are asking about a boat to accompany the trailer you are working on)
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:05 pm

:D Sometimes,I wish I had built a Small houseboat instead of the Bo-Jest one I'm working on.Something flat-bottomed (Water Lodge)so could use flat bed trailer and could use as camper on land as well as on the water. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:28 am

I'm with you chug, the waterlodge is a pretty cool design. No curves and cheap lumber. Who's to say you can't land camp in the bo jest though?

mahai217

Postby mahai217 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:52 pm

All great ideas! Thanks for the input.

My thoughts are towards either a houseboat/cabin boat - like Chug mentioned or a cruising sailboat. My original post didn't clarify that I wasn't looking for camping and boating -- but camping boating -- if that makes sense.

I would love to wake up on the water -- and be on the water.

So maybe... small, simple houseboat, sailboat with cabin, trawler with cabin, what else?

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:19 am

:roll: Or screened in cabin on pontoon boat. could even have hole cut in floor for night-time fishing (similar to ice fishing house) would have to have hatch cover over hole for moving,maybe fireplace in corner and futons :roll:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

garrech

Postby garrech » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:44 pm

mahai217 wrote:
I would love to wake up on the water -- and be on the water.

I find myself drawn to that idea as well. Maybe because as a kid we would "camp" on my grandparents' wooden cabin cruiser.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”