I'm a Boat Builder! G-L Ski Tow under construction!

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

DrBryanJ

Re: I'm a Boat Builder! G-L Ski Tow under construction!

Postby DrBryanJ » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:43 am

Mark, it's not too tough. Just need to practice. My father-in-law had a 100 ft driveway just wide enough for the boat. Had to back in all the way. After two times out could do it without a problem.

Bryan
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:18 am

Thanks guys!

I've watched a ton of youtube videos, some better than others, and I think I have a grasp of the steering. Plus all of the screwups, dropped boats, sunken trucks, etc. videos, too! If nothing else, the 'sinking trucks' has incentivized me to take it slow & easy, as the consequences of sinking Katie's GMC Acadia...well, that's to gruesome to contemplate! I'll develop a step-by-step checklist and follow it faithfully until this is 2nd nature.

Now it's off to the school parking lot!

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:45 pm

My Scoutmaster taught me to back up a trailer. Put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and move your hand in the direction you want the back of the trailer to go. Simple! :D
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:00 pm

Howdy, just thinking about those "guide" posts I see on trailers, the dealer I got my trailer from mentioned that option - I didn't pay attention but isn't that a helpful thing? Are they for guiding the boat to the trailer when departing - but maybe also good for backing up the trailer in general? Think I'll get some. Bob
Bob

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:00 pm

Well, the driving practice went pretty well, the "graduation" of which was me backing it into my driveway! Had to cut a few times, and I had to straighten it out by pulling into my neighbor's driveway across the street, but I got it done.

Still a little fuzzy on one thing: When I need to back into something at a 90 degree angle from the direction of travel (like backing into my driveway), I understand the "hand on the bottom of the wheel" to get the trailer swung in, but once the trailer is lined up where I want it to go, getting the car to curve in with it is still eluding me. I'm sure it's easier for you all to "do" vs. "describe", but if there's a secret, I'm all ears!

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:10 pm

Nice trailer. As the boat comes off the trailer the first time also take a mental note as to where your vehicles rear tires are in relation to the water and how deep the bunks and fenders of the trailer are so that when you are ready to recover the boat you know to go a little less deep than that as a great starting point. Its better to be too shallow than too deep until you figure out just the right depth.

As to your question above once the trailer is starting to turn the direction you want it to say from your 90 degrees when the boat is about 30-45 degrees into the turn you already need to start cutting the wheel back the other direction a substantial amount. The trailer will continue to turn as your vehicle straightens out and if your timing is right and you hold your tongue right you will both wind up 90 degrees from where you started and aligned with each other again.

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:30 am

"What a difference a day makes", as the old expression goes.

Just yesterday, I commented in a different thread about posting images that I simply use {img} and {/img} tags, embedding photos that are stored elsewhere on the 'net....

....and several folks commented that links break, and pictures become unavailable. I, admittedly, paid little heed. Why would I?.....PhotoBucket has worked for me for years!

And today, one short day later, the 'people' at photobucket have changed their rules. To link my photos so they display on 3rd party sites like this one will now cost me $400 a year as a 'member', and until I "join", all my links to MY photos displayed on this forum (and many others as well) are turned off.

Was this their 10-year plan? To get everyone's photos uploaded to their "free" site, then drop the hammer on anyone who linked? Seriously: linking is the ONLY reason anyone used their crappy site and put up with their very-poor portal.

And now they "invite me to join"? Pay ransom is more like it! Nefarious!

Sorry about the fractured links, folks.....but I will *NOT* be paying PB one thin dime. I've deleted my PB account without a regret or backwards glance...

Chime in with the "I told ya so" replies....they're very justified!

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:13 am

Question: With PhotoBucket's recent shenanigans, all of my photos are toast.

Without photos, I find that as I read over this thread about my boat build, it has really become quite useless. Is there any real reason to keep it? IMO, most of the text was based on the photos posted; no photos = no context = no value = waste of Glen-L's bandwidth.

Re-building hundreds of links is not possible, as I'm not even certain which (of my thousand photos taken) pics to re-upload to the 'net. Besides, with my build finished, there's not much more to be said anyway. So what we have here is a useless thread that is destined to slip into obscurity anyway.

I'm thinking about just deleting the entire thread. What is the proper etiquette on this board regarding such matters?

Mark

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:35 am

:( That's too bad.all my photos are on my card in my digital camera.so i use the attachments on this place.I'm not sure about editing photos but can edit the script.I really enjoyed your posts and wish there is a quicker fix. :roll:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:21 am

There is a solution to finding the names of the photos but it will be a bit of a hassle. For each image, if you right click and copy image address (assuming your using Chrome browser) you can past the address into a test editor and read the address. from there you would have to go into where you keep your photos and find that photo then add it to the particular thread as an attachment.

Not an easy solution but if you want to maintain the integrity of the thread it is one way.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:15 pm

Mark if you could see your way to re-posting your photos here in the forum or the Customer Photos section, you'd be doing a great service for others, especially those building the Ski-Tow or the Malahini. You presented some great work and some clever solutions to obstacles you encountered.

Have you made it to Maine and run your boat yet? You were taking vacation time on the lake... :D
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Mark-NJ

Postby Mark-NJ » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:34 pm

Boat is done, on the trailer, provisioned & in the garage. State of Maine sent me my HIN & Reg numbers, so that's done.

Bought a bolt of Sunbrella fabric; Wife is sewing covers this weekend.

We're driving up on 7/29...it goes in the water on our arrival! Pics when it happens....

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:17 pm

Mark,

I see you are on-line. How did your launch go? Is she in Maine?

Bryan
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:48 pm

Photobucket seems to be holding all your embedded pictures hostage. So I can't see your completed boat :(

jenko

Postby jenko » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:24 pm

Photobucket seems to be holding all your embedded pictures hostage. So I can't see your completed boat :(

I would also like to see it

Return to “Power Boats”