New member from oregon

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

mrintense

Re: New member from oregon

Postby mrintense » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:49 pm

Looking good Josh. Hopefully scarping off the squeeze out on the underside won't be too difficult. I'm dreading that on mine although fortunately, there isn't a whole lot of upper deck.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:41 pm

A little stainless work tonight, i drilled my bow eye hole using a simple jig made to fit the stem angle (turned out great) i then took my "Glen-L" 6 inch stainless bow eye and removed the stainless allthread, yes it is in fact removable, not easy but doable, the bow eye is drilled and tapped from the factory, i then cut off the two protruding prongs that "bite" into the surface and keep it from rotating, a "V" was then ground into what was the flat surface to match the angle of the bow. A small amount of material was removed from each side of the cutwater pieces to clear the bow eye allthread. The idea here is to weld the bow eye to the cutwater but still use the allthread to attach the whole shebang to the front of the zip, i will only use four screws (black sharpie circles) to locate the cutwater on the zip with the bow eye being the main connection, the remaining holes will be tapped and dummy screws installed for the "screw look" minus the leak/rot potential just like my transom bands. I wanted a bow eye and a cutwater, i wanted the bow eye to bolt through the stem and i wanted my bow eye to match my transom "tow hooks" mission accomplished,......now if i can just weld it all together...........
Attachments
20170705_215634.jpg
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:39 am

Very impressive, Joshua! I think that's gonna look GREAT!
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:07 am

I didnt plan it this way but I was pleased to see that my cutwater is actually not under water when the boat is sitting in the water at rest. It stops right at the waterline. I think you can run the screws pretty far down if you'd like. I backed them with blocks of wood inside the hull.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:54 am

Really nice Josh. Welding is one of those skills I need to learn. This boat of yours is going to be a real head turner!
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:36 pm

Got the cutwater welded out tonight, slow going, several hundred tacks spread out trying to keep it cool and not stretch or warp, fits very well, the half below the rubber bow stop i sanded flush tonight, will finish sanding the top half tomorrow, i think i will do one more weld pass around the bow eye to fill a couple low spots, then small fit adjustments and finally work my way through grits to a full mirror polish. I used my miller 135 mig welder (110v) set on DC positive, ran .025 diameter 308L stainless hardwire and stainless tri mix shielding gas, running such small wire allowed me to really dial down the heat to the point where i could achieve 100% penetration without even one single episode of accidental burn through, the fit after fully welding out is very nice, only tiny adjustments are needed. Most people recommend tig welding for cutwaters, but mig with small wire i think is the way to go. One happy clam right here. 8)
Attachments
20170707_224448.jpg
20170707_224419.jpg

jenko

Postby jenko » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:58 pm

Well done Josh

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:55 pm

Nice work, let me know where to send the pieces for my cutwater! :lol:
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Catbldr

Postby Catbldr » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:49 pm

Absolutely gorgeous. It must be a great feeling. I did a kit from Chesapeake Light Craft and it was fun but now I am starting a Hell Cat soon. I live on the Outer Banks of NC and the sounds get pretty choppy. Hopefully a catamaran will help smooth it out as bit and a fairly swallow draft will get me to most places my old Carolina Skiff got me to.

Is this your first boat?

Jeff

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:12 pm

Jeff

After your next approved post, you will have access to personal mail (PM). You may want to try to contact Oyster. Mike is very good builder in OBX. He is a wealth of knowledge. He's not on a lot any more. But, he comes through from time to time.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:44 am

Excellent job on the cutwater and welding. The key with welding stainless is to minimize the heat input to minimize warping, especially with sheet material, but enough heat to get good penetration. The only way really to do that is to alternate back and forth with tack welds or short beads. You did great maintaining the shape through all that.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:35 pm

BarnacleMike wrote:Very impressive, Joshua! I think that's gonna look GREAT!

Thanks mike, it's turning out nicely, pretty happy for a first try, i have lots of welding experience, however none with mig welding stainless, in my opinion it's easier than mild steel.

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:38 pm

Catbldr wrote:Absolutely gorgeous.

Is this your first boat?

Jeff

Thanks for the compliment, it is my first boat, pretty much no woodworking experience prior to this, if i can do it anyone can and the folks here on the forum are extremely helpful and encouraging, no hurdle is too high with the collective available help.
Last edited by joshuab on Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:41 pm

JimmY wrote:Nice work, let me know where to send the pieces for my cutwater! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Zimbabwe :lol: :lol: :lol: i will never do another cutwater so long as i live,...........until the next boat

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:19 pm

All welds are ground flush on the Zip cutwater, started smoothing in the Glen-L bow eye today, my goal when finished is to have the two seamlessly flow into each other, so far so good but mountains of sand work to get everything smooth enough to polish.
Attachments
20170711_191059.jpg

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”