New member from oregon

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

speedracer

Re: New member from oregon

Postby speedracer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:23 am

Josh,
Your cutwater looks great. I especially like the way in which you’ve incorporated the bow eye into it. I was thinking of getting my cutwater made for my Monaco but I understand the guy doesn’t use a bow eye. As such, I am considering making the cutwater myself. I also like to learn new stuff and a challenge. My steel welding skills are good but never tried SS or mig welding. I assume I would need a different welder adn not sure about cutting SS.

I’ve read your details on welder setting, wire size, etc. Do you have suggestions on what I need for SS cutting and welding? Such as machine makes, models, etc.

Sure appreciate your advice and look forward to following your build.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstien

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:22 am

Speedracer, We used this jigsaw blade https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X4TZHW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1for cutting the 18 guage SS sheeting used to make the cutwater. The blade goes through the stainless without much problem but begins to get extremely hot after about 10 to 12 inches of cutting; so, the solution was one of us would run the jigsaw while the other followed along with the air hose spraying air across the blade.

Also, I had to buy a 4 x 10 sheet of 316 SS to make the cutwater. I can't promise you this because I know that my brother used some of what was leftover to make a meat smoker, but I probably have enough for you to make your cutwater if you'd like to have it. Let me know if you want it and I'll check to see if I have enough.

Josh, Great cutwater! I also like how you accommodated your bow eye.

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:07 pm

I used a jigsaw to cut my sheet stainless as well, the more tpi (teeth per inch) the better, i used 36 tpi and it cut like butter, same issue as mentioned above, i would cut abount an inch then cool the blade in water then cut another inch, it still cut fast, once the blade starts glowing its done, pitch it and grab another.

If i were to guess mike won't weld a bow eye to a cutwater because alot of stress/liability if one broke off and you lost your boat going down the freeway, that is why i welded mine to the cutwater but kept the allthread as well, this way the boweye is still being used "as designed" and takes the weight not the weld attach point or cutwater, just a guess i could be wrong.

P.s. i had never welded stainless with a wire feed prior to this cutwater, easy as pie, almost identical to mild steel, seemed easier than mild steel to be honest.
I cut twice and it's still too short :mrgreen:

speedracer

Postby speedracer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:47 pm

Thanks guys. I’ve been researching welders and welding methods for stainless. Seems pretty straight forward. I use a Lincoln wire fed machine now for regular steel. Works much better than a stick welder as long as the material is relatively light gauge. Too bad, it just isn’t the model that can use the shielding gas. I’ve just about decided to do the cutwater myself – any excuse to buy another tool, right?

BayouBengal – I would certainly take you up on your offer for the left over SS. Size it up and let me know. I assume I will use the same material for the SS pieces on the two aft corners (not sure if those have a nautical name). Anyway, if you have enough, I’ll be glad to come get it. Give me an excuse to see your build as well. Please let me know.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstien

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:39 pm

So here is the result so far after sanding with 180 Grit, in the bottom picture you can see the 100% penetration of weld on the backside of the cutwater, the middle picture kind of gives you an idea of how the all thread protrudes through the cutwater, and the final top picture shows the cutwater mounted back to the bow of my zip, I still have plenty of sand work to do but it's starting to take shape and I'm very happy with the overall look.
Attachments
20170713_212615.jpg
20170713_212209.jpg
20170713_212234.jpg

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:45 am

Anyway, if you have enough, I’ll be glad to come get it.

Speedracer, What's left of the sheet is a piece 53" x 48" inchers. If that's long enough for you, you're welcome to it.
If i were to guess mike won't weld a bow eye to a cutwater because alot of stress/liability if one broke off and you lost your boat going down the freeway, that is why i welded mine to the cutwater but kept the allthread as well, this way the boweye is still being used "as designed" and takes the weight not the weld attach point or cutwater, just a guess i could be wrong.

Josh, the way he was describing it to me was that he had a bad experience with making a cutwater for someone's boat with a bow eye and he didn't want anything to do with them. My bow eye was already fastened to the boat and just needed a slot cut in the cutwater to accommodate it. His response was, he'd make the cutwater, but I'd have to cut the slot in it.

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:53 pm

Josh that welding looks great. The cutwater looks awesome, the bow eye looks like it's an integral part.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:17 pm

Well today marks three years i have been building my Zip, i started july 14th 2014, here is a year end recap video talking about my experience building a boat complete with plenty of Glen-L plugs along the way.......

https://youtu.be/QGW849AJvAs

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:53 pm

Here are some Zip cutwater update pics, port, starboard and an under pic, still have plenty of sand work and smoothing to do especially around the bow eye but progress is being made. 8) slowly working through grits. I threw a quick polish on it to locate areas that need more attention.
Attachments
20170716_153729.jpg
20170716_153705.jpg
20170716_153600.jpg

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:48 pm

As your youtube video said, you are saving some good money having the skills to do that yourself! Coming along extremely nicely.

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:46 pm

Thanks everyone for the compliments, here is another zip cutwater update, after coming to the realization that to achieve the best fit on my cutwater i must actually screw it to the hull. Although painful, the fit is much better than before, i did double my screw holes from 4" spacing to 2" and like chris suggested i am adding 1 1/4" mahogany backing blocks 1/2" thick behind each screw for a more solid bite instead of just hull ply, i will use #6 X 5/8" screws to attach. Making progress, i will use 3M 4200 on every screw during final assembly to guarantee it is sealed/protected, if my waterline is accurate all cutwater screws will be above water anyhow. :shock: :shock: :shock: whats to worry about?....its only 30 more holes in my boat :lol:
Attachments
20170716_184307.jpg
20170718_210225.jpg

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:50 am

I thought you would be able to get away with leaving the bottom two rows screw-less and not have any screws below the water-line. Bummer. Im sure it pulls it in tight with the screws though. I dont think youll have any problems at all though. Let me know in 30 years ok? :D

joshuab

Postby joshuab » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:35 pm

vupilot wrote:Let me know in 30 years ok? :D

I am probably just being paranoid but have avoided hull penetrations like the plague. :lol:

Today i glued and screwed the last of the subdeck down never to be removed again. Cutwater work continues and soon deck planking, this boat just might see water yet. 8)
Attachments
20170723_121558.jpg
20170723_121547.jpg
20170723_121658.jpg

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:34 am

Josh, Just got around to watching your three year review. I've not watched all your videos, but from what I've seen; wow, what a great resource for anyone thinking about building a boat. Great work!

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:50 pm

The deck really makes a huge difference on these boats. What are your plans for the cover boards?
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”