Identify this boat.

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

scscott

Identify this boat.

Postby scscott » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:23 pm

I was watching Netflix "The Crown" Episode 1 (~19:00-~19:28 min) and saw the boat below. Anyone have an idea of the boat type or plywood boat plans that come close?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fzDfTjRTnDSMtEkF2 (screenshot from episode)

Bill Edmundson

Re: Identify this boat.

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:23 pm

SCScott

I would guess it's a Riva, about 30 feet with twin engines.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Rich Coey

Postby Rich Coey » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:07 pm

It is a 24' Dauntless 750 St Moritz.
found it on an auction site.

Rich

ZA041692.JPG

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:18 am

WOW!! Beautiful boat!!

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:13 am

Scscott

The closest thing here would be the Tahoe 23 with 10% stretch.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:37 am

It's similar to what I was shooting for with my build. Of course, I don't have as good an eye for lines and design as the professionals. There's also a couple of things done on this boat that I considered, but chickened out of because of design concerns, or more specifically, with my design knowledge limitations, I chose to stick with what I was fairly certain would work as opposed to venturing into anything I only thought might work. 1) I wanted to extend my bottom past the transom on each side of the outdrive as they did with this boat, but was unsure as to how to precisely design it, and 2) I was torn between an open bow or the traditional wood deck, but structural concerns about not having cross members between the shears up front pretty much put any open bow thoughts out of my mind.

This boat is beautiful and I wish there were more pictures of it. It's not a boat that I stole ideas from in my design. My ideas came from the Riva (of course), but also from the Pegiva Convertible, and the fiberglass ChrisCraft Launch 25.

From having built a modern sterndrive runabout with classic lines, I can say that, building it wasn't so hard; but, designing it was hell because I didn't and don't entirely know what I was doing, which limited me because I could visualize ideas but was unsure as to how, or if, they could be designed. When you look at the above picture, in no way do I think anything about this boat is beyond the ability of most all of the builders on this forum to build, but I think many of us would struggle with the design issues.

Which all brings me to the point that while there will never be another Glen L. Witt, it would really be great if Glen-L could find a new marine architect to add some new and modern designs to Glen-L's wonderful repertoire of boats designs for the home builder. Is that person out there? Is he or she lurking on this forum, as we speak? Would Gayle have any interest in this?

Dauntless Comparison Pic.jpg

scscott

Postby scscott » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:51 am

Thanks everyone for the posts. I guess I was dreaming about how nice it would be to have a boat like that. I have yet to build a boat so that is outside of my scope/skill.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:48 am

No it isn't.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

scscott

Postby scscott » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:59 am

okay... garage size. City living is going to keep the overall size down.

Return to “Power Boats”