20ft Texas Barrel

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Hercdrvr

Re: 20ft Texas Barrel

Postby Hercdrvr » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:41 pm

Borane4,
I PMed you with my contact info
Matt B

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:39 pm

This has nothing to do with the Barrel Back build, I'll get back to work on it when the temp in the garage drops to 95 degrees. However, I do have a rough model for the express dumpster houseboat. Roof and window lines need some work but it's a start. Model is a 1:12 scale, flat as a shoebox 3/4" ply bottom, 15,000 btu's A/C..etc...4000watt super quiet Honda generator....you get the idea. Function over sex appeal in all decisions.
Matt B
Attachments
IMG_2983.JPG
IMG_2979.JPG

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:02 am

Back to work on the Barrel Back. 4 plank strips on and my question is, how concerned should I be about encapsulating where the edges butt together? I'm using Poxy-Grip so it goopy like honey and not well suited for encapsulating the end grain like Poxy-Shield. Need some advice from the gang.

The Raptor stapler is fabulous to use, exceeds my expectations.

Matt B
Attachments
IMG_3045.JPG

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:20 am

Matt

I put a coat of epoxy on the back of each new strip. And then put the "glue" on the base. Good or bad, that is what I did. I did an epoxy coat on the inside of first layer, to seal under the frames and battens.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jenko

Postby jenko » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:04 pm

I did same as Bill

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:24 pm

Sounds like good advice, I'll encapsulate everything when the planking goes on.

Next question: I'm using strips 6" wide, seems to all be fitting together ok. Is 6" wide about what y'all used in this area of the hull?

Matt B

jenko

Postby jenko » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:01 pm

I cut my strips at 4'' had to use 2'' right at the the front :)

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:31 pm

I'm getting a little bit of waviness on the edges. Able to align it when the next slat goes on pretty well. Do I need to be concerned?
Matt B
Attachments
IMG_3087.JPG
IMG_3086.JPG
Edge isn't straight between the battens

jenko

Postby jenko » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:40 pm

You should be able to fair smooth what you have already done .
However I think what is going on is not right ,are you forcing the edges to meet up with the previous board ?
If so that is the problem,to correct let boards lay down naturally and trim edges to fit :D

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:57 pm

Yes, I'm pressing each slat to the previous one. I'll ease off and work more on good fit. I'm finding if there is a tiny gap, I can fill the gap with proxy grip. It's not easy to get each board to fit perfectly to its neighbors.
Keep the advice coming please,
Matt B

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:06 pm

One problem I see is the strips you applied have been cut across the face grain of the plywood, not with the grain. Your ply is thin and flexible, more so across the face grain than with the grain. You will need to have as much grain running the length of the strip to minimize or prevent that buckling. That means the grain of the face plys should run lengthwise.
The strips you have applied should be OK, the next layer should fair or press the first layer where it belongs. But definitely make the rest of your strips with the grain running lengthwise.
I suggest when installing your strips that you sand/plane the edge of the strip you are installing to fit snug to the edge of the installed strip without pushing it into place. Your strips should have straight/parallel edges as cut, so fitting one edge of the strip to the previously installed strip shouldn't be too much work. I see this technique used by most builders here and by the Van Dam boat builder shown on an American Craftsman episode about the design and build of a custom cold molded runabout.

Have fun and post more pictures!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

slug

Postby slug » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:18 am

PeterG is correct about grain orientation. I would suggest that to make your edge fit easier you use a compass to scribe the next piece to the fixed one Just lay the new one close to the fixed one and scribe a line parallell (sp) to it.

Doug

billy c

Postby billy c » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:56 am

Peter and Dougs posts above are right on. Seeing the edge view of those pieces you have applied looks like quite a bit of fairing would have to be done to correct. I would remove them and get it right. Will save time frustration and effort in the end.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:13 am

As you start coming around the bow, each strip starts becoming hourglass shaped. To make the bend you may need to drop to 3" strips or maybe even 2"

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:29 am

Help me with my technique. I'm cutting 6" wide strips and fitting each piece to the previous one using a belt sander on the edge to make them join flush. Square cut strips won't fit snug, they need a slight banana shape. Slug posted to use a compass and scribe technique, I don't get it, how did everyone Custom fit each plank?
About the plywood grain, are y'all saying I need to cut my plywood lengthwise instead of simply cutting 6" off the end of a sheet of plywood? I know boat building isn't easy but what a hassle to rip 6" a full 8''.
Thanks for the advice,
Matt B

Return to “Hankinson designs”