Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Hercdrvr

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Postby Hercdrvr » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:33 am

Hey Carl,
Are you going to shoehorn an air conditioner into that cabin? I mentioned as a side note on my Barrel Back thread about an idea I have for an express Houseboat, my power source will be a super quiet Honda generator big enough to power a 10-12,000 btu A/C unit. I'm talking a Homedepot stand alone floor unit, nothing to winterize.
Even if you don't install a/c, a small generator might be an idea for your power needs. Have you ever heard a Honda 2000watt generator up close, they are incredibly quiet. The People's Republic of Harbor Frieght makes a nice knock off model too for 1/2 the cost. Build a quiet box for it and exhaust it overboard, hang a couple of carbon monoxide detectors and your safe.

I can sleep in the heat and I can sleep in cramped quarters but not both.
Keep at it buddy,
Matt B

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:13 pm

Hercdrvr wrote:Hey Carl,
Are you going to shoehorn an air conditioner into that cabin? I mentioned as a side note on my Barrel Back thread about an idea I have for an express Houseboat, my power source will be a super quiet Honda generator big enough to power a 10-12,000 btu A/C unit. I'm talking a Homedepot stand alone floor unit, nothing to winterize.
Even if you don't install a/c, a small generator might be an idea for your power needs. Have you ever heard a Honda 2000watt generator up close, they are incredibly quiet. The People's Republic of Harbor Frieght makes a nice knock off model too for 1/2 the cost. Build a quiet box for it and exhaust it overboard, hang a couple of carbon monoxide detectors and your safe.

I can sleep in the heat and I can sleep in cramped quarters but not both.
Keep at it buddy,
Matt B

Matt,

No plans in the short term to fit an air conditioner in there. I think I could easily fit a marine unit under the V berth and I am considering running ducting in case I decide to add A/C later. Main reason I am not considering it now is the cost. These marine units are quite expensive. If I were to go with a off the shelf non marine model, the cost would be considerably lower but I am not sure where I would mount it. Perhaps in the cabinet planned for across from the head box. No ducting would be required if it were a window type (except for ducting the hot air out of the cabinet). Hmmmm. Food for thought.

I've considered the Honda generator. I had dropped that idea some years ago but that was mainly because I had less aft cockpit space to use then. Perhaps this is still doable with the shorter length cabin and bigger aft cockpit.Like I said, food for thought. Something to go over on my twice daily walks :D :D :D

Hey Tim, no sweat on making the boat too pretty. By the time it gets to be a real beauty queen, I will have been using it for a while since I am focusing on functionality now. :) :)
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:22 am

Well, I am not sure what happened because I know I hit the submit button, but my posting didn't make it to the forum. So here goes again.

I spent several hours packed into the front of my boat yesterday and today getting the V berth structure installed. I am definitely going to pay for that tomorrow as it was quite uncomfortable. But it's in and just needs to be cleaned up after the epoxy cures. Then I'll move on to final fit on the V berth platform which I rough cut about a month ago.

Here's some progress shots.

IMG_20170806_091848.jpg

IMG_20170806_091933.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:05 pm

It's coming together, Carl! Good progress. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:02 am

Thanks Skip,

It's been a pretty busy week with other than boat stuff. Lots of things going on to take time away from the build. I only managed to get in 15 minutes yesterday to do some sanding. Today will be all about lawn work so no boat building again today. :(
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:26 pm

Finally, some visual progress. The V berth structure has been installed, cleaned up and re-encapsulated. Next up is to get the platform final fitted and final design worked out. also need to do some white paint touch up.

IMG_20170809_201740.jpg

IMG_20170806_091933.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

jenko

Postby jenko » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:42 pm

Very nice Carl

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:50 pm

Thanks Pete!
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

rleete

Postby rleete » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:57 am

What is the white crossbar with the fasteners in it for? I assume you're mounting something there.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:07 am

rleete wrote:What is the white crossbar with the fasteners in it for? I assume you're mounting something there.

I'm sorry, I might not have made that very clear in previous posts. This area under the V berth, being odd shaped, is currently an unknown for me. In other words, I am not sure what I want to do with it. I am considering using it as storage or maybe for an air conditioner in the future. But for now it's unknown. I am mounting a small floor panel in this location. I am making it removable so that I can change this area if necessary. The platform for the V berth above this area will also be removable for the same reason. Bottom line, I want to keep my options open for this area.

Here's a picture of the floor panel. In this photo, the mounting holes have not been drilled and the part has not been painted, but it shows how it will set.

lowerfloor.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:12 pm

Bilge Pump question for those of you in the know.

I would like to place a higher capacity bilge pump in the cabin area under the floor and have been looking at various options. I've heard that Rule pumps are good choices and I have looked at the 1000 and above gph models. However all of them seem to be taller than the available space I have under the floor. What I am considering is mounting them further outboard under the seat box where there's more room and mounting the float switch under floor instead. Then running a smooth bore hose down to the bilge area for water pickup. Having never messed around with these pumps before,
I have a couple of questions.

Will this idea work and not seriously cut the flow volume of the pump , assuming the pick up hose length is kept relatively short?

From looking at the few pumps I've seen, I am not even sure you can add a pickup hose to them.

Are their reasonably priced high flow rate shorter pumps out there?

From what little research I've done so far, I am under the impression that anything less than 1000 gph will be inadequate for anything other than small amounts of flooding.

And yes, I am planning on doing more research and searching. In fact this posting is one of those efforts.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:32 pm

Carl

I set two 500 rules, one each side of the keel. I actually have 3 sets like this. Overkill, you bet! I have them set up with float switches and a console panic switch!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:47 pm

I have two 500 gph pumps on each side of the transom knee (Malahini). It takes a lot of water in the boat to even get them to start pumping water out. They are mounted in the lowest part of the boat.
Bilge pumps will never keep up with a significant breech of the hull.
The one time a bilge pump saved my bacon was on a 1985 MasterCraft tournament ski boat with a very leaky stuffing box. The pump was able to keep up while we skied all day, not the smartest decision to not take it straight back to the trailer.
Matt B

jenko

Postby jenko » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:08 pm

Carl most of the bilge pumps like the Rule pumps are a centrifigal vane pumps ,which means they need to be primed to pump and they will not suck water only push water.
For your application you would need to source a positive displacement pump.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:08 pm

Pete, Bill, and Matt, thanks for the responses. There were a couple of things I was seeing that were confusing me. The automatic centrifugal pumps are too tall for my purposes, but the non automatic 1100's (Rule 27D) will fit fine. With a separate switch I can get them all under the floor.

Pete, you are correct. The centrifugal pumps require priming. The types i would have needed were the diaphragm style. However, I am satisfied that I can make the centrifugal ones work now that I know I can get them in the size I need. What threw me off was product dimensions in the site i was looking at said they were taller, but they were talking about the package dimensions, not the actual product dimensions. I went to the Rule site and found out the correct height.

Matt, I was also aware that they would never keep up with a serious puncture. To be honest, except for water over the stern, or heavy rain while out on the lake, I find it difficult to believe I will ever have a water problem in the bilge since there will be no holes in the hull except for the bilge thru hulls. The boat won't be stored on a lake, she'll be a trailered, pampered garage queen ! :D :D

Not that I won't be using the hell out of her whenever i get her finished!!

Bill,
The plan is to put two of these up front behind frame 4 (low spot) and two more in the back by the outboard. Since I will be putting the floor in the cabin within the next month or so, i wanted to start thinking about getting these so I can size the mounts and work out the best placement.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Return to “Power Boats”