Tuffy Build

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Evan

Tuffy Build

Post by Evan »

Started today.

I got the plans in the spring, I was hoping to start a little sooner but things came up and I have less $$$ than I think I do.

Picked up some supplies between then and now, they sure don't give that 3/4 marine plywood away!

Managed to get some 14+ foot ash so no worry about joints, I had thought about going with oak but at 1.25 a BF ash wins.

Today I cut the gussets put and got the lumber ready for the wider pieces of the first 2 frames. It will take a day or so for the glue up as I apparently do not have enough clamps.

Not much time in but it was a start.

JimmY

Re: Tuffy Build

Post by JimmY »

Sounds like a good start.

Now, repeat as necessary. :D

Not sure what's available in Canada, but I picked up an arm load of $0.99 spring clamps at home depot. They've been handy to have around.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Harbor Freight has slide clamps for $3.00 US that are perfect for this type of work. You can buy 10 of them at a time for a little over 30 dollars.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal »

I'll really look forward to following your build. The Tuffy is not a boat that has been built by many forum users; but I don't understand why. It's got great lines and is a nice medium size boat that would be very useful and fun.

I myself believe that I'm retired from any future power boat building (never say never). However, if I were to build another I think the Tuffy would be it because of a combination of liking the way the boat looks and happening to have in my possession a gold 1957 Johnson Javelin outboard that would be a perfect match for it. But for the time being, I'll just have to be happy living vicariously through your build.

Be sure and post lots of pictures!

Evan

Post by Evan »

Not sure why there are not many, I think it is a good looking boat.

We don't have harbour freight but Canadian Tire has some good sales on clamps here and there. I might have to take a run to a Home Depot to get wood for the form anyway, the places near me keep theirs outside.

I still have to get proper nails/screws, I hope to order those next week, that will give me time to glue these parts together and hopefully draw the layout.

Hopefully I can put something decent together.

Evan

Post by Evan »

I got the first frame drawn out and cut out the side pieces, they fit into the drawing so I guess that is a good sign.

I don't have my fasteners yet, hopefully by the time I get them I will have the other frame pieces close to ready so it will just be a matter of drawing them out to put them together.
Attachments
20170818.jpg

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal »

It's always exciting cutting them first pieces of wood and seeing the frames in real size. Looks like you're off to a great start!

FarmBoat

Post by FarmBoat »

Greetings All. I saw where someone said they didn't see many Tuffy's being built and had to reply.

I started two years ago, cut out all the hull pieces, fine tuned them and left the project upstairs in the garage. I meant to get back to it, but what got me back now is the story about the guy that took 17 years building a Lamborghini in his basement that I read. That's all it took. Retiring from the Army National Guard this year left a little more free time in my schedule too.

Anyway...here's where I'm at with no plans on slowing down. However, winter is coming; have to love Maine. I do have a monitor to get me through the outer plywood stage coming up. There's a temporary transom in the picture. Need to grab another sheet of ply soon.

Permanently attaching the stem as I speak...gotta run.

Later,
Jay
Attachments
So far...to go
So far...to go

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal »

Welcome back to building, Jay! Looks like you're off to a good start.

Evan

Post by Evan »

I am happy to see another one, especially one that is ahead of me.

I ended up getting my fasteners and got a frame put together, I was happy with the way it turned out. Unfortunately after that I came down with Lyme Disease so I have not been doing anything (at all) for a number of days now.

Hopefully I will get a bit of time in but hunting season is coming up which wont be ideal for boat building.

Evan

Post by Evan »

Seems I am poor about documenting. I don't have much time in, most of it is cutting a piece or two as I have a minute.

The form is built, frames are attached to it, one and two are level as they are supposed to be.

The transom and stem are cut out, I clamped the stem in place, it seems to line up.

The keel is there but I still have to laminate the piece of ply to it, the plans say 1 1/4. After the board was cleaned up I am just under an inch.

So far things seem to be going ok, I guess it could be building to realizing a big mistake.

I did break off the first one of those bronze screws, after that I started driving a screw of the same size prior.
Attachments
DSC_0004.jpg

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Looks like you're making good progress. Keep it up.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Evan

Post by Evan »

Slowly forward. I have the chine glued and screwed, except at the transom. I used boiling water and towels to help with the bend, nothing broke so I guess it worked. I did a few measurement checks just to make sure.

The cutouts for the chine went OK. The first one needed some fine tuning but the second was easier.

If I have a few drinks and try really hard I think I can see a boatish form.

It is still a long way off but I am planning to glass the bottom, is there any recommendation for the weight I should use?
Attachments
Boat.jpg

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

I used 6oz cloth. Haven't launched yet so I can't speak to ultimate durability but It didn't take a ton of epoxy to fill the weave. You're doing a great job on your boat! Tuffy is a cool design.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike »

I used 6oz on my Utility, and I've been happy with it. In retrospect, I'd use 4oz on any bright work such as the deck or transom, etc.
"How long does it take to build a boat? Until it's finished" — yours truly
Why did the boatbuilder get a divorce? Because he didn't have enough clamps to hold his marriage together!

Return to “Small outboards”