Which plan to emulate a Chris Craft Capri?

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Chips

Which plan to emulate a Chris Craft Capri?

Postby Chips » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:16 am

I finally have the space to build a boat and I think my woodworking skills are up to the job. I've rebuilt cars in the past and done plenty of home renos and furniture restoration. I've loved the look of classic runabouts from the 50s and 60s after accidentally walking into a Riva Aquarama gathering in the south of France many years ago. That boat is beautiful, but too big for my garage.

I've looked at many plans on here looking to build a classic runabout, and apart from wanting the styling of a 50s or 60s runabout, I have two other criteria. I really want a single, open cockpit that will seat 5 with 2 captains chairs and a bench, and it must have a V8. My inspiration is the 19' Chris Craft Capri, but I'm struggling to find a plan that meets all those criteria. Is there a plan here that could be modified?

hoodman

Re: Which plan to emulate a Chris Craft Capri?

Postby hoodman » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:03 am

http://www.boatdesigns.com/19-Barrelbac ... ducts/778/

The barrel back sounds like what you are talking about. You can build the cockpit however you want.

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:16 am

Look at the Monaco, there is a utility open cockpit version available:. http://www.boatdesigns.com/mobile/19-Mo ... ducts/240/

You could easily duplicate the deck style of a Capri on this hull, that would look great!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Chips

Postby Chips » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:22 am

Out of those two, the Monaco looks to have a similar hull shape to that of the Capri. But is there enough space and beam to safely move the engine back to achieve the Capri cockpit layout?

19-capri-chris-craft-15n-023-9in.jpg

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:32 am

A V6 would provide plenty enough power and save you about 5" of length. Is there any particular reason that you have to have a V-8?
Last edited by BayouBengal on Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

Chips

Postby Chips » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:34 am

BayouBengal wrote:A V6 would provide plenty enough power and save you about 5" of length. Is there any particular reason that you have to have a V-8?

I'm in love with the sound of a V8. If I didn't have that noise I think I'd regret it.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:13 am

Chips

What if you did the Riviera and put a drop in hatch over the rear cockpit. Then if you need 2 more seats you just take the cover off.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:15 am

Chips wrote: ... accidentally walking into a Riva Aquarama gathering in the south of France many years ago.

There are not too many folks that I am envious of, but this particular phrase caught my eye, and imagination.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:59 am

I think Bill is right. The Riviera is the closest thing you will find to a Capri. Cockpit size is good and you could either make a drop in hatch for the rumble seat or just plank over it. The Capri came in two lengths. 21 and 19 feet. The Glen L Riviera is 20 ft. You could do some wood sculpting if you wanted to do the Capri Bull Nose. The Barrel back bow is the older straight up stem and is not as beamy as the Capri or Riviera.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Chips

Postby Chips » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:16 am

I just did a quick mockup with the Monaco Utility plan. It's not dimensioned, but it looks like the engine would have to move aft about 2 feet. Is this feasable or will it totally screw up the balance? There is a chap on here who has a Tahoe with a sterndrive which is right at the back, but his boat is obviously a few feet longer.

Glen L Monaco Alternate Cockpit.jpg

Chips

Postby Chips » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:18 am

I should also mention that 19' is about as much as I can get in my garage and still have space to work around it. For this reason I was originally considering the Ski King lengthened to 16.5', but I think it's just about impossible to achieve the layout I want with a hull that short.

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:22 pm

No, I wouldn't suggest that you move the engine 2 feet aft of design, not even 1 foot aft.

You want a classic design which generally means you want a generously long wood planked foredeck, a tumblehome transom, and an inboard motor. You want a single cockpit that will seat 5. You want a V8 engine. And you're limited to 19 feet overall length. Out of all the suggestions offered, as far as standard designs go, the Barrellback is probably the best option. You could probably tweak the transom shape to give you more of the Capri look, but I think it's going to be difficult to get a V8 in it.

Quite frankly, you're running out of inches and I don't see any feasible designs, Glen-L or otherwise. So if you want to be adventurous and willing to do some design work, start with the Wanderlust hull plan, modify the transom and the applicable aft frames above the waterline so that it has a tumblehome shape at the transom. Put at sterndrive engine in it (maybe you could consider a V-Drive), but run your exhaust out of pipes instead of the outdrive so that you can get your V8 rumble. Forego the cabin plans and instead just deck the front as you would a classic runabout.

Or, maybe you should just buy a Capri and restore it.

TomB

Postby TomB » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:43 pm

Chips,

Welcome.

You might like the Roustabout. It will take a little "imagining" to make a Capri. The Roustabout is 17' that can be stretched 10%, close to 19'. It can use a 650 lb. inboard/outboard, so maybe a small V8. It is shown as a utility, but by the time you are finished with the hull, you'll have the skills, without a doubt, to put a little deck and hatch aft rather than the engine cover.

Good luck,

Tom

jenko

Postby jenko » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:26 pm

these are the calcs from my riviera
engine trans unit 881lbs, C of G is 2 5/8'' aft of C of B
moving the 881 lbs aft 24'' moves the C of G to 10 5/8'' aft of C of B
corrected calc :D
Last edited by jenko on Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chips

Postby Chips » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:40 pm

Thanks for all the replies. This is all extremely useful.

One question I have; how did Chris Craft manage to pull off this configuration? It looks like the stern is wider than the barrelback designs, but is that it? They didn't even move the fuel tank forward, it sits right in front of the transom.

Return to “Design Modifications”