I will be turning wood into a boat shortly.

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

watkibe

I will be turning wood into a boat shortly.

Postby watkibe » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:48 pm

At last the boat is starting to show it's inner boatliness. Photos are attached. What you see is the two halves of the hull. The one standing up is finished; the one on the work table lacks only gluing for completion. When we join the two halves it will be very exciting. I am tickled at how much Wanda (my wife)
boat2-5 006.jpg
boat2-5 005.jpg
boat2-5 003.jpg
very shortly.
is interested and excited too. She is a real help, and the best work partner I have ever married. I am looking forward to the mating of the hull halves, it will be a real turning point in the building process.
From the Great Pacific Northwest !

Roberta

Re: I will be turning wood into a boat shortly.

Postby Roberta » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:48 am

Looking good. Keep posting.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:30 pm

Looks great! What design are you building?

watkibe

Postby watkibe » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:37 pm

For Roberta :
Thank you for the comments and encouragement!
For Hoodman:
I am building Cabin Skiff 16. I think it is the ultimate result of the power skiff/console skiff lineage. Thanks for the interest.
I read one of your posts in reply to a complaint about Frearson drive screws. You had the right answer, about pre-drilling. I have bought the silicon bronze fastener kit ($pendy), and some Frearson bits. There are several variations on the basic Philips head, so the actual correct bits seemed prudent. But most importantly I think, I bought some proper tapered wood screw drill bits, with countersink and stop collar ( also $pendy). In hardwoods these are essential.

CaptDave

Postby CaptDave » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:27 am

I look forward to following your progress. I have thought about building a cabin skiff. It is certainly a design that can go for the long haul. Just take a look at the miles Ray Macke has put on his.(over 25,000 miles) Plus it looks good and will go 30 MPH on 40 hp. I like the stitch and glue method because you look like you have a boat early on in the process. Good luck, have fun and post a lot of pictures.

P.S. Where did you find your tapered drill bits? They probably will result in fewer stripped heads and less removals via vise grip.
Capt. Dave

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:15 pm

I suspected that it was a cabin skiff. You may have better luck than me but I found that the tapered bit did not do a good job for me with the 1 1/4 inch screws that were called for in my plans. I ended up drilling a pilot hole and shank clearance hole separately for each hole with straight bits. You don't need to drill a countersink hole in plywood. But I do have a countersink bit to use for solid wood. The recommended bit size for each screw size in soft and hard wood is in "Boatbuilders Notebook."

watkibe

Postby watkibe » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:43 am

to CaptDave - I got the tapered bits at Woodworker's Supply. Thanks for the interest.
to hoodman - The drills come in the same number sizes as the screws: #8 #10 and so on. I found the in #8 and # 12; I will have to use your method for the #14s. Thanks for the tip about the Handbook. I will look into it.

I am posting more pics tonite, if I stay awake long enough. I don't wan't to overdo it, but when I was lookingfor which boat to build, the ones with the most photos were the most valuable. So here goes !
Attachments
boat2-9 002.jpg
boat2-8.zip
(14.21 MiB) Downloaded 16 times
boat2-8.zip
(14.21 MiB) Downloaded 15 times

watkibe

Postby watkibe » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:41 pm

We are persuading the hull into shape; "torturing" might be another term. The directions are clear cut and very simple. Creative ingenuity, and adaptation and improvisation have all been useful.
Directions and video don't recommend a cradle until the transom is installed. At this stage it says boxes and staging may be required, and handle carefully, at this stage the assembly is fragile and large. Ditto on both counts. So far we have used a floor jack, jack stands, buckets, 4x4 cut offs, 2x4s, assorted scrap wood, and ropes. Lots of ropes. Gradually we are able to add more stitches as we get the shape a little closer; haha, like a surgeon "approximating" the edges of an incision before suturing. We have no deadlines, are both retired, and both have some health stuff going on, so we can just work a bit every day and it's fine with us. I would like to get the seams filleted and glassed before it get cold, but it was over 80 today so we have a while.
Attachments
boat2-11 015.jpg
boat2-11 014.jpg
boat2-11 006.jpg

watkibe

Postby watkibe » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:43 pm

I couldn't attach all the photos I wanted too in the previous post, so they are here. Yeah, I know there is a Gallery; I am resistant to learning new things !
Attachments
boat2-11 024.jpg
boat2-11 018.jpg
boat2-11 016.jpg

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:43 am

I'm not sure where you live but you may be able to work through the winter with epoxy. First you can switch to a faster hardener if one is available for your system. Also a small space heater blowing warm air under the hull may do the trick to help cure the epoxy during the colder months. You don't have to heat the shop to 70 degrees. Just try to keep the epoxy above freezing until it cures. It will take longer but it will cure. Using this method I was able to fiberglass my hull in December and January in NC in an uninsulated shop. Of course it helped that we routinely had daytime temps in the 50s.

watkibe

Re: I will be turning wood into a boat shortly, new pics

Postby watkibe » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:59 pm

To Hoodman - Thanks for the input on epoxy. We live close to the Canadian border,on an island in Puget Sound, in WA. We occasionally get snow, and have freezing temps from Dec thru Apr. Your ideas sound good. My only epoxy problems to date (last 2 boats) was temps in the +90s, setting epoxy off way too fast.
NOW: The keel and bow are stitched. It looks like a boat has arisen from a pile of plywood ! Stitching the bow took some strength and cunning; at my age I have more of the latter and a bit less of the former. My experience as an Eagle Scout, sailor, and truck driver prepared me with enough knots and rope know-how to get 'er done.
It looks more and more like a boat every day.
Attachments
boat2-12 008.jpg
boat2-12 006.jpg
boat2-12 001.jpg
The silver haired beauty at the bow is my wife and fellow boat builder.

specialk

Postby specialk » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:45 am

I am enjoying watching your build...I too am interested in building a CS-20...it is on the short list ...
I agree with what Matt said ...if you keep your epoxy in a warm place. ..mix it in a warm place...and put a heater of some kind on your working area...to keep your wood warm...you will be fine...
Nice build keep the pictures coming. ..
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:51 pm

Looks real good!

I love how the stitch and glue designs come together so quickly. I know two gentleman who have build larger cruisers from Blue Jacket 28 plans which is also a stitch and glue design. They look great and are very stout boats.

Looking forward to seeing more progress.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

watkibe

Postby watkibe » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:06 pm

Thanks to specialk and Mrintense for your kind words. I love the way S-n-G designs come together quickly too !
I am in somewhat of a brief pause right now. I am accumulating the materials to build a cradle for the hull before I start the "glue" part of stitch-n-glue.
It will be mostly made with 2x6s, and with 5 inch swiveling casters. Being able to move it seems like a really good idea.

When I was a kid, there was a meme before the word was invented: a guy builds a boat in his basement that's too big to get out when it is done. I am close to that. The barn where we are building has only a man door. The hull is already too big to get it out. However, at one time, our barn had a big door, that was framed in. My brother the professional carpenter took a look at it, and he says that the framing isn't load bearing, so there's no problem cutting it out. He has the hardware to build a sliding door after we make the hole. When it is time to turn it over and sand epoxy, and then paint, we will be able to take it outside.

watkibe

Postby watkibe » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:33 am

I realized that I hadn't posted pics of the hull completely stitched yet. It is ready for the cradle, materials for which may be seen in the bottom photo.
Attachments
boat2-13 003.jpg
stitched ready for the cradle
boat2-13 002.jpg
boat2-13 001.jpg

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”