Rookie question-something other than mohaganey?

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Leegej

Rookie question-something other than mohaganey?

Postby Leegej » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:13 am

New member here. I love woodworking and am kind of a gear head, so building a classic wooden boat and slapping in a decent size motor that sounds tough really gets my blood pumping.

I don't know much at all about these classic runabouts, but it appears to me it's all mohaganey. Has anyone ever finished one with something else? Maybe something native to the Midwest? I've got plenty of woodland that could use selective management, and portable bandsaw mills are cheaper than going to the lumber yard... I was thinking cherry, I love cherry. If the wood is encapsulated in epoxy, does rot resistance matter immensely?

So tell me I'm dumb, tell me I'm crazy, or tell me it's a great idea?? A cherry barrel would look peachy, if it's not suicidal that is!

Roberta

Re: Rookie question-something other than mohaganey?

Postby Roberta » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:27 pm

Typically the boat hulls are built using marine plywood in the cold molded method. Decking usually is 1/4 marine ply. White Oak is easy to get for motor stringers, I like to sandwich them in 3/8" ply on both sides. Sappele or white oak works for framing, or African mahogany. I think the cherry has been used a lot for veneering for hull sides and decking as long as it is encapsulated with CPES and epoxy. You can use anything, just check it's rot resistance and workability.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

kens

Postby kens » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:15 pm

The only voodoo I know of is Walnut.
It is a mariner's voo-doo / taboo to use walnut in a boat.
I like Cypress, White Ash, Sapele, (I dont like oak)
With mahogany getting on the endangered species list, the wood suppliers are often presenting alternatives to mahogany.
Sapele, is one good item,
Red Grandis is showing up recently.
Don't snub Spanish Cedar.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Leegej

Postby Leegej » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:34 pm

Thanks for the input Roberta! That is what I figured, hull out of plywood, top coat of something other than mohagoney! I'm building a rocking chair out of cherry right now that consistes of laminates that are bent to shap, so i know first hand how it works. Just prone to burning is all!

Leegej

Postby Leegej » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:13 pm

That's too bad, walnut is a great accent to cherry!

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:57 am

I used white oak for everything so far. It's probably not something you would want to veneer your hull with but it's great for frames and longitudinals if only a bit heavy. Just make sure to rough up your glue joints first.

irie E

Postby irie E » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:07 pm

Slightly off topic but still pertinent, I think anyways. When using lumber other than what's called for in the plans do scantlings need to be adjusted to provide the same strength the designer intended? Example would be using cypress or Spanish cedar in place of oak, mahogany, or spruce.

kens

Postby kens » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:57 pm

no,
Spruce is not all that strong, compared to other species, but it is strong for its weight.
Spanish Cedar (the wood I got) is stronger than spruce, but heavier at the same time.
Mahogany is stronger than spanish cedar, but heavier,
Oak is stronger than mahogany, but heavier than all of them.
All you need is something equal to or stronger than spruce.
Can you get Sapele??
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

irie E

Postby irie E » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:27 pm

Thanks for the quick response kens. Sapele is what I plan to use, I was just curious about the other types.

Return to “Hankinson designs”