Hello from Chincoteague Island, Virginia!

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Seaside

Hello from Chincoteague Island, Virginia!

Post by Seaside »

Hello, My name is Jason. I am 40 years old. I have been looking at boat plans for a couple of years now. My wife purchased some books and a DVD for me last Christmas from Glen L. I am contemplating a build in the future and would like to know what the good folks here think. This will be my first boat build. I am interested in building a small, fairly easy to build boat that will perform well with a 20 hp outboard. My wife and I like the ideas of purchasing an A/C electric 20 hp outboard made by Elco. Here is a link for the Elco 20 hp motor:https://www.elcomotoryachts.com/ep-20-outboard.shtml

The plan that I am leaning toward is the 16' Wee Hunk. Image
http://www.boatdesigns.com/16-Wee-Hunk- ... ducts/376/

I would like to have a side console like the one pictured below. Would this be an easy modification? I don't mind the bench seating, but I would like to build storage under the seats for a well organized boat. With the electric outboard there will be 2 batteries, both are 12" long x 7" wide x 9" high, and weigh 70 pounds each. The motor weighs 90 pounds.

I would be using this boat mostly to go fishing, crabbing, and clamming with my wife and daughter. The boat would be utilized in the protected coastal waters inside of the Chincoteague Inlet, Tom's Cove, Chincoteague Bay, and the creeks and channels around the island. Do you think 20 hp is plenty of power for the Wee Hunk design? I'm not looking for a speed boat. I am looking for a safe and comfortable ride for my family to enjoy.

Any suggestions for this boat or other low powered boats is welcomed. I'd enjoy hearing from you.
CaptDave

Re: Hello from Chincoteague Island, Virginia!

Post by CaptDave »

Hello Seaside,

We visited Chincoteague a few years back. We had a good visit (except for the bent prop I got from getting in too shallow of water.)
Have you considered a console skiff? It is a 16 ft stitch and glue. Here is a picture of a nice build.
Console Skiff w/Raised Bulwark
Console Skiff w/Raised Bulwark
No, I haven't built one of these but have admired them. I am completing a Amp Eater, a stitch and glue build, which you may guessed by the name, is electrically powered.
Here is the link to my build on the forum viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26296

Good luck and post pictures. Ask questions, there is a lot good help in the forum.
Capt. Dave
Builder of the Amp Eater Aquatron
Seaside

Post by Seaside »

Hello Capt. Dave,

Thank you for the reply! I do like both designs of the Wee Hunk and the Console Skiff. I wonder which boat would be the best fit for a 20 hp motor? The see the hull description for the Console Skiff is an arc bottom hard chine hull in mid-to-aft areas with rounded side/bottom vee'd sections forward. I am guessing the Console Skiff would probably provide a much smoother ride than the Wee Hunk. I appreciate your suggestion. The Console Skiff looks pretty roomy for a small craft and I like the high freeboard. I am also re-thinking my side console now that I am looking at a couple Console Skiffs. I will read up on people's boat builds and try to figure out which one I'd like to build.
Seaside

Post by Seaside »

I went fishing with a friend yesterday in his Carolina Skiff. While out on the water I have come to realize that most of the time the water I will be fishing is pretty well protected and calm on most days. There are certain times of the year when the wind blows hard, but I would not want to be out in any boat on those days. I have decided that a flat bottomed boat is something I am interested in for stability, low draft, and low power requirements. Is it possible to build the Wee Hunk with the same deck plan the Console Skiff? My wife informed me that any boat I build needs to be stable and have comfortable seating with back rests.

The beam and length of the Wee Hunk and the Console Skiff are comparably close. Can the Wee Hunk be built with a center console seating arrangement like pictured below? If so, I think the Wee Hunk built in this manner would be a perfect small boat for my family. I look forward to hearing any feedback from members.

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

I think the wee hunk was designed for a center console but the bulkhead the seat sits on may have to go all the way across. If so you would not be able to walk around the seat but have to step over it. It is hard to tell without seeing the plans.
Capt. Dave
Builder of the Amp Eater Aquatron
Seaside

Post by Seaside »

I think I am getting a more realistic idea of what type of boat my family will need, but it is hard trying to settle on one design and pick a plan! :) I figure if I am going to build something I should go for the gold and build the ultimate family fun boat. With more thought on the subject, I would like to take my family out on the water for a half a day or even a for a full day with protection from the sun and rain, and a place for people to use the bathroom when nature calls. I have been eye-balling the Huck Finn pontoon plans, houseboats, cruisers, and anything with a cabin. I believe that I might skip over a smaller sized vessel and to build something that is 18 - 24 foot in length, has low to moderate power requirements and a fairly shallow draft (under 16" if possible). The idea of a standing headroom cabin with a head/portable toilet and enough space for a few people to fish would be great. That sure is a long way off from my original post about Wee Hunk. I would be happy with something like Wee Hunk, or the Console Skiff, but I think we'd have more fun with something a little bigger and has the features mentioned above. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I'll start another thread to ask questions about particular designs if I am able to narrow it down. One more thing to add is that I am not limited to having to have an outboard motor. I would consider an inboard motor build, but I would have to learn a bit about inboards to complete the build. The electric motor company Elco actually offers more inboard choices that outboard choices. Right now all they have for outboard motors is a 9.9 hp, 14 hp, 20 hp, and a 30 hp in development. The inboard motors available are 6 hp, 12 hp, 20 hp, 40 hp, 70 hp, and 100 hp.
OneDrunkPoet

Post by OneDrunkPoet »

Hello, Jason in Chincoteague! I am Allen in Utah, but I am from Salisbury, Maryland. I just received Huck Finn plans and will be begin the build soon.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”