First Time, small boat builder

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

BWest

First Time, small boat builder

Postby BWest » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:10 pm

Hi all,

My name is Brian, I'm from Everett Washington. Married with two children ages 1 and 3. Building my son and I our future fishing vessel; the 13' Fisherman. Ordered the plans and the Plywood Boatbuilding book. Lots of good information in there, though it's a bit overwhelming considering I'm reading the book before starting the build. I'll most likely be on here for questions here and there. Pleased to join you all

Thanks!

Roberta

Re: First Time, small boat builder

Postby Roberta » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:10 pm

Welcome aboard!! Many people on the forum are very happy to help out with answers and advice. Post pictures and ask away.

Roberta :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Ruben

Postby Ruben » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:27 am

Hello!!!
Welcome!!!!
Last edited by Ruben on Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

BarnacleMike

Postby BarnacleMike » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:46 pm

Brian,

Welcome! You're already right on track. Reading the book first is a very wise decision.

Be patient, and stick with it. You're gonna build an awesome boat!
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

watkibe

Postby watkibe » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:52 pm

Hi Brian !
We are just north of you, on Camano Island, and building the Cabin Skiff. I don't know if you have bought any wood yet. I bought the marine plywood for our hull from EdenSaw Woods, over in Port Townsend. They have free shipping on orders over a minimum ($400 I think), but their warehouse is in Everett, so maybe you could pick up a smaller order there. I can recommend them, very helpful and friendly. There is another place in Everett that sells marine ply also. I bought the okoume ply, which was pretty spendy; I figured that if we are going out in the Sound, I don't want to worry about the hull breaking up because I bought cheap wood. There is a good, less expensive alternative which Glen talks about : Marine AB. This is Douglas fir plywood, made to marine standards. EdenSaw was out of it when I bought mine, or I might have bought it. I plan to use it for the rest of the boat, above the hull, as it seems less critical. The place in Everett whose name I've forgotten says that they carry Marine AB. When I'm ready for it, I will check with them. I can drive my truck down to get it, and so save on shipping.
I'm sorry if I've just been going on about stuff you already know, just trying to be helpful to a "local". The Fisherman is one of the designs I really considered, along with the Utility. There are some really good pics of the Fisherman on this site, especially a white one down in the Caribbean somewhere.
Post pictures when you get started ! Feel free to ask me anything you like.
take care
Bruce
From the Great Pacific Northwest !

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”