Which plan to emulate a Chris Craft Capri?

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

CraigS

Re: Which plan to emulate a Chris Craft Capri?

Postby CraigS » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:50 pm

Thanks, Bill. I like your Tahoe 19 build a lot. That boat has nice lines. Wish the Barrelback had the same, particularly the transom. This is a Chris Craft Riviera 18 that I like a lot. If I could modify the Barrelback transom, it would be close.

Rivera 18.jpg

For those interested, here is a list of the videos Bill Yonescu posted on his Yon'e 22 build, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv_Er4 ... zmGPCmZcbw. Most are time lapse videos of the hull build. Quite interesting to an ignoramus such as I. A number of them were posted this last February, so hopefully Bill is up and doing fine.

JasonG

Postby JasonG » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:40 pm

How about the Bonanza, stretched, with a v-drive?

CraigS

Postby CraigS » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:02 pm

This comes from the land down under, plans for the original Chris Craft Riviera (among others). It says 17' overall length, though I've only seen it as an 18' boat. They don't have anything on the Capri.

http://www.classicwoodenboatplans.com/riviera-17/

gap998

Postby gap998 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:11 pm

Those plans are available for free on Svensons.com - they were originally posted in a magazine back in the day. Classicwoodenboatplans have "just" modeled them up in CAD, (this involves a fair amount of work) and are selling them on. I've read that the guy is a CAD jockey, not a marine architect or boat builder - nothing wrong with that (some of my best friends are CAD jockeys :wink: ), it's just I doubt you'll get the kind of support you get with Glen-L & this forum.
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

jenko

Postby jenko » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:34 pm

still mid mounted engine so does not solve the inboard outboard dilemma with all the weight at the stern

CraigS

Postby CraigS » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:16 pm

Thanks, Gary. That's a good site, and there's an intrinsic quality to free that's hard to beat. The CAD jockey info could explain the crickets I got in reply to a question I sent about stretching the plans. Concur on the value of the Glen-L plans and the forum. My interest in the CC Riviera plans was to compare them to the Barrelback. My only problem with the Barrelback is ... the barrelback. I like the transom of the CC Rivera better. I figure I could tweak the Barrelback transom and possibly next to last frame above the waterline to get the CC Riviera look without affecting the aft end displacement. The CC Riviera-like transom would weigh a few pounds more, but I would think that would have a negligible effect.

An inboard/outboard appeals to me, but my first priority is to get the CC Capri/Riviera look and cockpit configuration. Like Chips I'd like two adjustable captain's chairs and a rear bench. I'm 6' 6", so legroom is a quality of life issue.

This was in an old issue of Woody Boater of someone who restored a CC Riviera. Would really like to pull off something close to that.

Riviera.jpg

Steven r

Postby Steven r » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:35 pm

Hi,
Is the Monte Carlo the same a lot lower in hight? It looks a lot stronger boat?
Thanks Steve.

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:22 pm

Has anyone looked at the Biscayne? That has the non barrelback shape discussed here, and could possible be modded to the double forward cockpit like the Capri. It would require moving the engine back one frame bay, set at a steeper angle. That may not be a problem, it's a similar situation with the Barrelback and the Key Largo, both hulls the same, but the Barrelback engine is set one frame bay back from the location of the Key Largo. I would build the Biscayne to the longer version especially with a V8.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

CraigS

Postby CraigS » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:07 pm

The latest Glenn-L newsletter linked this article on balancing the center of buoyancy vs. the center of gravity.
http://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/50592/bu ... ance-hull/.

It would be hard to move enough weight forward to offset moving the engine aft one frame. So to move the center of buoyancy aft, one is left to increasing the displacement at the stern by increasing the width at the stern. That could start to change the look and performance of the boat. A person could do it, but he would have to know what he was doing.

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:23 pm

Absolutely, shifting the engine like that will change the trim of the hull, Ken Hankinson's design accounted for that by restricting the Barrelback to a slightly smaller engine displacement. Otherwise both hulls are identical in size, shape, etc. Was just a thought regarding the Biscayne. Which now it occurs to me would make a great utility too... Things that make you go hmm..

jenko

Postby jenko » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:50 pm

Ken Hankinson's design accounted for that by restricting the Barrelback to a slightly smaller engine displacement.

I don't think that is why he restricted the engine displacement but more for keeping the boat to safe speeds.
Where he placed the engine was over the centre of buoyancy so it would not matter what weight you put there the boat would stay balanced.
making the rear of the boat wider moves the centre of buoyancy rearward so therefore you have to move the engine rearward to maintain balance.
:D

CraigS

Postby CraigS » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:04 pm

I don't think that is why he restricted the engine displacement but more for keeping the boat to safe speeds.

The Glenn-L newsletter #25 essentially said the same in pointing out the difference in the bow design between the Riviera and Barrelback. The Barrelback bow will cause it to submarine at high speeds. It stated, "Boats like the Riviera, Monaco and Tahoe are best to about 50 mph, while designs similar to the Barrelback, Biscayne & Key Largo, we recommend running in the 30 mph range. "

PerCapri

Postby PerCapri » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:23 pm

Hi Chips
You can buy the plans here.
http://www.maritimepassion.fr/eng/20170 ... CAPRI.html
Its not a Glenl plan so you need to do a lot of drawing and planing by yourself.
I am building the plans in a 3d program so that I hopefully can cnc cut some of the parts and make the build a little easier and faster.
Best regards
Pelle from Sweden

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:05 pm

The Chris Craft company archives are now at the Mariner's Museum in Newport News, Virginia. You can buy copies of the plans, table of offsets, etc. that you would need to restore or build a Capri. They also have the Hull Cards for the boats. Based on the hull number, it will show what a particular hull was equipped with, what colors, fittings, upholstery, etc. as it came from the factory. They also published a couple books like encyclopedias of Chris Craft boats. I am sure a clever boat builder can make a cold molded version of a Capri or an exact replica based on that info.

PerCapri

Postby PerCapri » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:51 am

Hi again
Heres a picture of my 3d build that I made from the plan i mentioned. Its not nearly finished but work in progress. The only thing that I think is wrong in the plan is the stern. The angle and curve seems of compared with pictures I´ve seen.
I also have some problem fitting the engine I end up with 14 degree angle on the propshaft with a 12" prop. And its still really tight.
Does anyone in here know the original angle?
Excuse my bad english
Pelle from sweden
19' Chris Craft Capri2-2.png

Return to “Design Modifications”