New Maineiac member

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Luteplay

New Maineiac member

Postby Luteplay » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:17 am

Hello all, I have decided to build a Key Largo after stumbling across this site. It will be my first build, and will probably be a long process. I am fairly handout have never attempted something like building a boat.

I am retired Navy and will be retiring from my current job in 5 years. I have been looking around at different marine engine vendors, and it can be daunting. I'm thinking about using a 3.0L MPI Mercruiser, and was wondering if that would be underpowered for the 20ft option or if I should go with a 4.3 or 5.0 instead.

When looking at engines and I see a bobtail, does that mean it has all of the marginalization done already and I would just need a transmission.

Reading all I can on here but I'm sure I will have a ton of questions.

Jim
Last edited by Luteplay on Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roberta

Re: New Maineiac member

Postby Roberta » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:51 am

Welcome aboard. I think you mean "bobtail". That does mean without a transmission. Not necessarily fully complete. The V6 or small V8 might be a better choice.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Luteplay

Postby Luteplay » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:58 am

I did mean bobtail, I fixed it. I will concentrate my research on the 4.3L V6. I figure I will need to know the engine for the mount configuration before I start.

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:10 pm

Whereabouts in Maine are you? I ask because I have a summer place near Sanford in York County. I have the Key Largo plans, was going to build one but switched to the Malahini for better SAF (spousal acceptance factor). I had picked the 4.3L v6 for power, I felt a 3.0L was not enough at 135hp. But it's all in what you are looking for in performance. A 5.0L is really the max to use, and probably a bit too much weight wise. I would recommend build it to 20ft for either engine, but definitely 20ft for the V8. Shop around, you may find a package deal for engine and transmission, look at Doug Russell in Worcester, MA or Irwin Marine on Lake Winnepesaukee in NH. Oh and if you look hard enough in the right places you can find a vintage Chris Craft or Gray Marine inline six engine setup if you're so inclined.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Luteplay

Postby Luteplay » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:28 pm

I am in Waterboro about a half hour east of Sanford. I did run across Doug Russell on a site linking to different vendors, but the page it linked to was a coming soon page. I will search for Irwin Marine too.

Thanks,
Jim

Captnick

Postby Captnick » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:47 pm

Welcome Jim! I'm building a Monaco, (utility version); the aft cockpit will be similar to your KL. I'm located in Ellsworth, also a member of the check of the month club (CG)- you gotta stop by if you're ever down this way. I'm currently about 1/3 of the way through the first layer of planking. My postings and pics are under Downeast Monaco Utility Build. I'd be very interested in your engine search results, as I've got an idea what I want, but haven't yet settled on the best way to achieve it-
Nick

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:50 pm

Great, you are not far at all. There are lots of resources nearby that you can take advantage of. Look up Mike Michaud at Michaud's Inboards on rt 109 in Acton, he is a great help and will have lots of pointers and suggestions. He is a boat builder too. Then there is M &M Marine Salvage in Meredith, NH for all kinds of used boat parts if you're looking.
Post pictures of your project, ask any questions here, there's lots of help to be had.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”