First time, full size builder.

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

CptTrip

First time, full size builder.

Postby CptTrip » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:05 pm

Hello from southern California, I just started planning a Dyno Jet, powered by a Jet Ski XP. Anybody building or built one? I'm looking for construction photos of any kind pertaining to the Dyno Jet or over view/side view engineering plans. The building plans are just a bit confusing to me and visuals would be a great help.
Cpt Trip.

cmahler

Re: First time, full size builder.

Postby cmahler » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:42 am

I'm building a stitch and glue Bingo. If you have specific questions, I can try to help. Not sure if you're plans are similar to mine. They are full size plans that needed to be transferred to the plywood. This is my first building project as well and I was a little stumped on the plans at first.

CptTrip

Postby CptTrip » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:36 pm

Thanks Cmahler, It's the written instructions that confuse me. I was looking thru the blog posts yesterday and found some photos of a stitch and glue project. It appeared to be stitched together with the copper wire and held in shape with cargo straps, prior to gluing. Do you think this would warp the final shape, or a normal means to achieve an adequate outcome.
Also, do you think the transom board should be installed prior to any gluing to achieve a proper shape?

cmahler

Postby cmahler » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:42 pm

I followed the instructions for mine using the form on the plans. The instructions called for installing the transom before doing any epoxy putty on the seams. I would think that the instructions would give you a good idea but you do have a different design. I've attached some pics if that helps.
Attachments
20160516_195838.jpg
20160418_082103.jpg
20160416_200315.jpg

CptTrip

Postby CptTrip » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:49 pm

Ok, that helps. I think I'm complicating the process. I've seen some other posts that shown other ideas, like using the deck stringers temporarily to keep form during gluing. Thanks!

JasonG

Postby JasonG » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:42 am

Welcome to the forum!
If you haven't seen it, I started a Dyno jet thread;
viewtopic.php?t=14136

If you haven't started yet, I would recommend that you measure the angle of the transom of your donor ski where the pump mounts and incorporate that angle on your transom when you stitch the boat together. I did not pay attention to that detail and had to make a 3 degree shim to mount the pump into my boat. You can see the picture in my thread of the shim around the pump cut-out.
You can cut the deck beams and mount them temporarily, but then you have to work around them and there's a lot to do to the inside of the boat before they are needed. That's a call that you will have to make.
I would highly recommend being very diligent to keep any hook from forming in the bottom of the hull before any epoxy is applied. That will save you a lot of work later when it's time to true the hull. It seems that stitch and glue boats have a tendency to form a hook when stitched together. Mine did but a lot of elbow grease took care of it.
Those things are not a big deal, but will save you some time and effort.
Let me know if you have any questions and I will try to help as best I can. I still haven't finished mine, life got in the way, but I will one day!

Jason

CptTrip

Postby CptTrip » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:36 am

Thanks, good info. I'm still in my materials collections phase, but I'll keep that in mind. Every bit of detail will help and I get your meaning about life getting in the way! Lol

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”