How to drill holes in the transom without wrecking the paint?

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

bjfrater

How to drill holes in the transom without wrecking the paint?

Postby bjfrater » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:46 pm

I am needing to drill some holes in my transom for drain tubes from the motor well. (I will also need to drill some for the motor mount later)
As I have already painted the hull and framed in the motor well I am reluctant to drill oversized holes so that I can fill it with epoxy and redrill the actual size after. Im scared of creating a big mess over my nice paint job with epoxy and also leaving a ring of expoxy exposed once I install the drain tubes.

What have other builders done at this stage or were you smart enough to drill all the holes prior to painting?
Also any tricks for drilling the holes so that they allow the motorwell to drain perfectly?

One last thing, Does anyone know where to get drain tubes that are smaller diameter than the ones on the glen-l store?

vupilot

Re: How to drill holes in the transom without wrecking the paint?

Postby vupilot » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:12 pm

Use masking tape, drill through the masking tape. Start with a small pilot hole and step up to the end size desired.

Most drain plugs are 1", or 1-7/8"

bjfrater

Postby bjfrater » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:49 pm

Ok thanks. Amy suggestions about drilling oversize then filling with epoxy and drilling again or are there other options?
How have people ensured the drain tubes dont allow water to penetrate the transom around the outside edges?

TomB

Postby TomB » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:08 pm

We had a sailboat with a balsa core. We always over-drilled, used packing tape to cover the bottom of the hole, filled with epoxy and then re-drilled. The deck hardware was then bedded in our favorite goop. It was a painful process but better than a wet core.

Tape inside and out and also sandwiching your finished work with scrap wood inside and out to prevent the possibility of paint chip and tear out. When the scrap wood is removed after drilling, the tape remains to mask a nice neat hole for epoxy and bedding compound.

bjfrater

Postby bjfrater » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:14 pm

Thanks for the tips.
I dont want water to damage the transom, that would be hard to fix!
I was hoping there might be an easier way but looks like this will be it.

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:42 am

I have found that a forstner drill bit works best for drilling clean holes without disturbing the surface. I first drill a 1/8" pilot hole, then I drill from one side about 3/4 of the way through. I then go to the other side and using the pilot hole, drill to where the two sides meet. (no chip out no backup board needed). You can get a complete set at Harbor Freight Tools for about $40.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA

ncbuildr

Postby ncbuildr » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:21 pm

When i have to boar a hole in a finished surface i clamp wood to each side of the hole then drill. This insures that no wood grain is torn out you will get a hole with a crisp edge and protects your work from the forstner bit or hole saw ,walking across your surface. then tape and epoxy.

Return to “Small outboards”