I will be turning wood into a boat shortly.

Here is where we get to welcome all new members.
New members please include your location - Other members close to you may be of great help in locating materials and other needs.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Bill Edmundson

Re: I will be turning wood into a boat shortly.

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:16 am

Oh! So, your doing the cradle out of cat litter buckets?

It looks good!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:18 am

I had to do the same thing in my barn to get my boat out. Exact same situation.

watkibe

Postby watkibe » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:20 pm

The cradle is coming together, with almost all materials in hand. The stern and midships cradles are done. I just need to build the bottom framework, and put the wheels on it. It will be very good to be able to conveniently move the project around a little.
The transom cut-out for the motor is almost done, too. I waited to get a bottom bearing flush trim bit for my router to do a good job of making the long part of the cut flush with the top of the motor board. Usually, I just try to go ahead and do the best job I can with the tools I have. My brother, the professional carpenter, has a fortune invested in the special tools that let him do excellent work quickly and easily. Even though he is my little brother, haha, I am an amateur who can still learn from his example !
Attachments
boat2-14 009.jpg
top view of supports
boat2-14 003.jpg
side view of supports
boat2-14 004.jpg
wood and wheels awaiting assembly for the bottom
From the Great Pacific Northwest !

watkibe

Postby watkibe » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:22 pm

the picture of the transom that was one too many to post on the last one
Attachments
boat2-14 008.jpg
transom almost done (in front of supports)

watkibe

Levitated the Cabin Skiff to it's cradle today !

Postby watkibe » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:35 am

I finished the cradle last night. Today we used ratchet straps, a chain on a roof beam, and a come-along to lift the boat up off the temporary staging. Some reinforcing boards under the lifting straps were needed to keep the sides from becoming scalloped. We were then able to lift the boat about it's balance point to first get the bow end on the cradle, and then lift and move the stern end into place by means of a 2x4 lever.
The Boat has landed, haha.
Now I can start building a boat again. The hull is only stitched now, so, supported by the cradle, I can epoxy the seams, install the transom, and put in the keel and the long battens.
Attachments
boat2-16 003.jpg
the boat has landed
boat2-16 001.jpg
almost in place
boat2-16 009.jpg
boat hovering in the air

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:53 am

nice project. I wish that I have time for something like this. Keep with nice work

watkibe

Re: Only the unemployed make no mistakes at work.

Postby watkibe » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:13 pm

I think it's our moderator, Bill Edmundson, who said "No great comeback is possible without a major screw-up first".
Well, I guess it wasn't a major screw-up, at least not once I saw how to fix it. I forgot to staple the carpet onto the cross members of the cradle before putting the boat on it ! I was able to lever the hull up one side at a time just enough to slide the carpet in, and then to staple it all down along the sides. I left the carpet long in case I need to extend the cross members up at the chine and want to pad those too.

The next task will be to install the transom. I'm proud of how well it turned out. I'm also grateful it turned out well, because I built it from 18mm okoume, which was about $200 for the one sheet. I had hoped to finish the outside of it bright, but have just not been able to keep it perfectly clean.
The temperature has been down into the 40s. I pre-coated the edges of the transom and matching locations on the stern sides and bottom. I was able to make a tent over the stern with a heater in it. In 24 hours the epoxy had set, but was still barely tacky. Oddly, it didn't seem to be set up any better than the transom, which had no heat. At usual temps, 24 hours would be enough for a hard smooth surface. I'm sure it will continue to cure over the next day or so, as it usually does at 70 degrees.
Attachments
boat2-17 004.jpg
Doesn't look like a great comeback, does it ?

Return to “New Members, Please Introduce Yourself”