Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

PeterG

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Postby PeterG » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:32 pm

Wow, looks great Carl. Keep up the good work! I find the chair time is really helpful in figuring out the what and the how for interior joinery, imagining the functions to be done and how to integrate them with an efficient layout. Nice job!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:39 am

Beautiful work as usual from you Carl. You are moving right along.

Bryan
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:18 am

Looking nice.

If you have a lot more overpowering to do, look into a vacuum bag setup. Doing flat panels like that is very straight forward.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:39 pm

Thanks Jimmy, Bryan, and Peter. This is definitely a very satisfying part of the build.

Jimmy, I am quite familiar with the vacuum bag approach. I used to do that for United Airlines when making and repairing aircraft flight controls and engine cowlings. When I first started building this boat, I was considering veneering the entire hull as a woodie, but decided against it because I didn't want to have to deal with the maintenance when it was finished. I was going to use the vacuum bag approach to accomplish that.

So far, it has been convenient enough to use weights or staples (the transom).

Today, I wanted to get more 1/8" veneers made for the other side of the partition. I had bought a 8/4 piece of mahogany for that awhile back and had planned on using a friends band saw to re-saw it into slats. I went over to his house the other night to do this. Unfortunately, his band saw wasn't up to the task so I had to come up with an alternative plan today. I was originally hoping to get approximately 7 slats out of the board (taking into account the material lost to the saw blade) and then plane them down to 1/8".

But my only option short of taking the lumber back to have it milled (expensive) was to cut the slats on my table saw. They are 3 1/2 inches wide so I had to make three passes on one side raising the blade each time and then flip the board over and make three more passes on the other side. It was impossible to keep the blade exactly line up, especially after flipping the board over. The best I could do was four slats of approximately 1/4" thickness but with many steps from the blade.

Then I ran them through my planer and got them down to 1/8". They look great now, but it was quite a bit of waste.I'll probably just get 1/4" rough cut boards next time from the lumber yard and hopefully save a bit of money. I would love to buy one of those really nice band saws for this, but don't have the funds or the room to put it in my garage. So I make do with what I can do.

IMG_20170923_111449.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:13 pm

Hi Carl,

Maybe you don't need a bandsaw, just a good resawing blade for your friends saw. On a band saw, you supposed to just have 3 saw teeth in the wood. So you want a low tooth count blade 1/2" to 1" wide. Might be worth looking in to, and might be cheaper than the waste.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:55 am

Jimmy, that's a good idea. Never even thought of just getting the blade and taking it over there to my friends house. I'll look into that.

Today is being used to make a part of the boat that most don't want to see or talk about, but it is a very necessary part of the boat. Fortunately, there are any number of clever ways to hide the head and that will be coming. But before I can make the head box, i need to have a toilet. I've planned on using a composting toilet for quite some time as I have heard they a less smelly than the chemical toilets. However, buying one of these bad boys takes a fair amount of change. I decided to see if I can make one instead. There are numerous videos and web pages out there about how to do this. The important part is the use of the urine diverter which is critical to keeping the smell down. No ordinary bucket with a bag will do. :oops: :oops:

Okay so I purchased 2 HDPE buckets from the big box hardware store, a total of $9.00. If this doesn't work out, I figure I am not out too much. But so far it appears to be working out okay. One bucket is cut up to make the other parts and one bucket is retained as the container.

IMG_20170924_095913.jpg

IMG_20170924_101417.jpg

IMG_20170924_104336.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:58 am

And some more showing how the diverter is made. There's more work to do and I haven't assembled anything yet. One final note. This is not my own design. I got his from a blog from another builder.

http://dennisdonohue.blogspot.com/2013/12/

IMG_20170924_112453.jpg

IMG_20170924_121017.jpg

IMG_20170924_121035.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:47 pm

:D sounds interesting,Carl.I'm going to use kitty litter containers(simply buy new containers with ammonia blocker litter) empty litter into gal or 1/2 gal freezer bags and install bucket ,use and cover waste with litter mixed with wood pellets.could use litter bucket lid to enclose.when full simply cover maybe tape shut,then empty at home or throw all away :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:10 pm

I needed to plastic weld the urine diverter assembly to the upper bucket assembly. Never done anything like this before and only have a general heat gun. It looks a bit nasty in the photo, but it's solid and there is no warpage visible on the top side (which is the visible side. Some of the strips running around the bucket are a bit melted but it is still solid and circular shape. It looks worse in this photo than it really is. Next step is to drill a hole for a drain tube but I am going to wait on that until I get some of the head box box and figure out exactly where the drain bottle will sit in relation to the bucket. I am also considering a shorter bucket as this one would have to sit on supports on the battens in order to not be too tall.

IMG_20170924_171024.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:58 am

Yesterday I decided to stop working on the partition. It has been gradually developing a curve and I am afraid that if I continue adding slats that I will not be able to pull the curve out during mounting. In addition to that, I do not have a clear idea of the color scheme for my interior. I have enlisted the aid of my wife who has a better eye for that stuff, to try and come up with a coherent interior design. I also wasn't particularly happy with the way the veneers were looking on the partition. And it also occurred to me that if I veneer everything in mahogany, that the interior is going to be too dark. The partition will still be included in the interior, but I am going to make it differently (i.e. start over).

So I am stepping back for a bit to work on the interior design with my wife. I still plan to go with the structural design, same v berth, seat box, head box, cabinet, but just going to rethink the colors to get a brighter look. I think I was letting my desire to get things done get the better of my judgement. Fortunately, I have not gone too far down the path of interior building that I cannot adjust.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:45 am

Carl

At our house, Lauren does the colors! Even if she doesn't like the colors, I'm not in trouble! :lol:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:11 am

: :roll: wonder what mahogany would look like pickled.I've done pine:1 cup linseed oil,1 cup turpentine,and 1 cup white paint mixed together and wiped on with rag.then varnished over after drying. :roll:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:34 am

Hi Carl,
Some ideas for you.
On the interior, a birch or ash unstained might look good with just varnish over it. (like the interiors of classic travel trailers)
On the head, I had a camper with a thetford porta potty that worked great. No smell, the bottom separates from the top to take to dump. You can go quite a few days before you need to dump. I had a low profile unit. They are around $100 bucks.
Jim
Attachments
f5ae113d-b8b2-4078-a339-655619eec759_1.e87f10508ee640a4c5b5da44096d9f32 (1).jpeg
The captain's seat.
P8080140.JPG
Here's a shot of a light interior from a boat show
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

TomB

Postby TomB » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:36 pm

Carl,

From my limited experience with boat and motor home interiors, and for what it’s worth, I like the mahogany interior. It seems like a lot of wood in a relatively small space, but is it? I assume seats and seat backs are upholstered. Is the cabin sole wood or something else? How about the headline? I’ve seen some fantastic looking headliners in off-white with mahogany beams, very boaty.

On the warping, I've had similar experience with the ply warping when wetted on one side. Would adding the mounting cleats on the other side help?

Tom

John56

Postby John56 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:31 pm

Dang, you have come a long way!! And quality work!!

Return to “Power Boats”