GERONIMO floor foul up

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

hoodman

Re: GERONIMO floor foul up

Postby hoodman » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:54 am

Bob, sorry about your mixup with the foam. Glad you got it straightened out. If I'm reading the original post correctly did you say that you put flooring forward of frame 5? Also, is your floor between frame 4 and 5 below the setup level or is that just an illusion of the pictures?

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:34 pm

Howdy Matt,
I've got a couple of blurred spots on my camera lens, hopefully these pictures show well enough. Yes I did do a 3/8 deck between frame 5 and the stem, and did 2lb foam under it. I sits on top of 5's floor timber, you can just barely see the white deck where the paper is pulled away. I'm trying to keep the dust out of there while I'm doing the rest of the cockpit. It's a nice place for the grandkids to crawl into and look out the hatch. This deck sits higher than the rest of the cockpit floor.
From frame 5 all the way to the transom is flat. I can throw my 6' level on the deck in any direction and it's level (I guess that'd be the "set-up level"), so all of the splitting of hairs done making the building form paid off.
Between frames 5 and 4 I did a single piece of 3/8 and foamed that with 2lb foam.
From frames 4 to 1 I did 4lb foam on the sides which makes it really solid where people will be climbing in and out, Then 2lb foam under the sides from frame 1 aft.
Now I'm trying to figure out where to drill the holes in the port frames for the steering and motor controls and wiring to feed through, I'm ready to paint there and I need to do the holes first. Any ideas?
Other picture shows transom, I've reinforced around it with white oak and now need to figure out a motorbox. I will do the bulkhead at frame 1. Bob
Attachments
IMG_1167.JPG
motorbox next (I've never had a motorboat so...)
IMG_1164.JPG
bilge is only void not foamed
Bob

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:03 pm

Bob, I noticed you said you are putting a bulkhead at frame 1, I assume this is for the motorwell. On my Vera Cruise this is 24 inches from the transom which is aft of frame 1. I am curious if your plans call this out? I am trying to maximize the amount of space in the aft cockpit as I figure I will be there most of the time.. Looks like you recovered from the foam problem. Looking really good.

As for the holes for the steering and wiring, I would suggest you get the controls location figures out first and then go from there. I'm hoping to run mine behind the carling but I am going to wait until I get the helm station figured out first.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:56 am

I'm planing to route the control cables and wiring behind the carling. In that location they'll be mostly accessible in the future if need be.

Carl, the plans show the bulkhead about 10" aft of frame 1, which leaves woefully little room for a fuel tank. Other possible tank locations might include a bow mount or possibly under a rear bench seat.

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:27 pm

Hi Carl,
My frame 1 is approximately 24" (bottom) to 30" (top of frame to top of transom) from the transom.
The plans show the bulkhead about midway between the frame and the transom ("distance will vary with motor").
In Glen-L's "Transom Motorwell, Dimensions and Details" notes, it calls for a "Well Depth" of 25" for 60 to 80 hp motors, so I'm just making the bulkhead at Frame 1 incorporating the frame itself in building it. I'm putting a 90hp evinrude in. bob
Bob

Return to “Power Boats”