Craigslist Glen-L 21CB?

Dinghies, day sailers, world cruisers. Many small sailboats make ideal rowboats or low-speed power boats.

Moderator: BruceDow

Bill Edmundson

Re: Craigslist Glen-L 21CB?

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:31 pm

Can you rake the mast back? This is not a fun ride for sure. But, the boat might just "round up" in a bad gust.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

TomB

Postby TomB » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:15 pm

Your sailing grounds are wonderful, the San Juan's are special.

The hard chine and steel keel gives you a lot of initial stability and it probably gets exciting when the wind dumps out of the top of the sails! Before adding 500 lb of ballast...add two big guys, assign them to "rail meat" duty and see how it goes. You might be happier adding ties to the sail so you can take a reef when it is blowing.

Tom

Locutus

Postby Locutus » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:03 am

Bill and Tom,
The boat has weather helm, which increases as it heels, which tends to round it up automatically unless I fight it with the tiller.

The boom is a roller reefing boom. The problem isn't reefing. It's the predominately light winds combined with occasional big gusts. Sailing around in the islands one can encounter somewhat tricky conditions because the land masses cause the winds to vary as you sail past them. To get any speed at all I usually need full sails, then a gust comes along and heels the boat way over. One time such a gust spun me 360 when the boat rounded up...and then kept spinning to make one full circle.

I'm also considering how to douse the jib from the cockpit. It's hanked on, so adding a furler could be complicated. Maybe a more expedient solution would be to add a line attached to the head of the jib, routed through a fairlead or block mounted at the bow and then back to the cockpit. Then when I release the halyard I could pull the jib straight down. I'm not sure though whether I could keep such a line from getting tangled.

LOL--"rail meat." I've always found that phrase to be amusing.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:14 am

What about cam-cleats for the jib lines? Then you could dump the jib quickly.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Locutus

Postby Locutus » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:27 am

I have jamb cleats for both halyards and for the jib sheets. Just releasing the jib sheets doesn't actively pull the jib down to the deck, especially in wind. It tends to just stay up and flap. My idea is that a line fastened to the head of the jib and routed to a block or fairlead at the bow and then back to the cockpit would enable me to force the jib down to the deck in a few seconds.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:50 am

Locutus

I was thinking of dumping wind. I had roller furl on the Genny. I can see what you're talking about now. Sometimes you have to pull a sail down.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Sailboats”