malahini stem question

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

obd

malahini stem question

Postby obd » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:14 pm

I fabricated my stem according to the plans. The plans show a bit of concavity to the leading edge of the stem between the chine and the sheer. I didn't think much about this other than to notice it makes a nice visual line. However, now that I am dry fitting my side planking, the planking doesn't naturally follow this line. I think I can make it work with quite a bit of clamp pressure, or I could add some wood to the stem to make this line straight, or just go heavy with thickened epoxy. I was interested to know if any other builders had run into this issue and how they resolved it. Thanks. Bob

PeterG

Re: malahini stem question

Postby PeterG » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:02 pm

The Malahini stem does have that reverse curve, and makes for an interesting time attaching the side planking. What kind of plywood are you using? The best thing to do here is high clamping pressure to push that curvature into the 1/4 inch plywood. It will go, you will see it on many Malahinis and Ski Tows in the Glen L builder galleries. Try using more clamps with a thin wide batten, maybe 3/8" thick by 1" wide between the outer surface of the plywood and the clamps, to spread the clamping force when gluing it into place.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

obd

Postby obd » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:03 am

I am using 6mm(~1/4 inch) Okoume. It took the side transom curve well so I think it will clamp into place on the stem. Love the batten idea. Thanks for the info and advice PeterG!

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:09 am

Good deal, glad to help. that's the same plywood I am using on my Malahini. It is actually a bit more flexible than the meranti (hydrotek brand) plywood so should conform to the shape you need quite nicely. Post pictures of your project when you can, we all like to see. :D
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:55 am

You may have to do the boiling water/towels trick. It helps a lot.

Return to “Power Boats”