Kid's Toy 4 Wheeler Conversion to Kid's Toy Boat

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

BayouBengal

Kid's Toy 4 Wheeler Conversion to Kid's Toy Boat

Postby BayouBengal » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:38 am

One of my neighbors was putting these out to the road for pickup yesterday as I was driving home. Both of them work, but her kids had outgrown them. If I used both motors on one boat, would these motors be powerful enough to drive a small kids boat like the Ke-pau or kidyak? What about a PeeWee? Could they be set up with a propeller, or would they need to be set up as a paddle-wheeler?

20171006_072539.jpg

Bill Edmundson

Re: Kid's Toy 4 Wheeler Conversion to Kid's Toy Boat

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:26 am

Jeff

I think you could definitely do the Ke-Pau. I'm not sure about a prop boat.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:26 pm

I might do the Ke-pau since I already have the motors and batteries for free, and I've got enough scrap wood and epoxy laying around that the building would be nearly free. I guess the biggest downside to doing such a light small boat like the Ke-pau with these motors is that eventually it's bound to get capsized, most probably by the big kids (adults) horsing around on it. I don't think there's enough power in the small batteries that these things run on to cause a shock hazard in the water, but of course, the motors and batteries would need to be replaced afterwards. I can't really conceive of a way to seal them watertight.

If it gets capsized, it'd just have to be on his parents to get new motors and batteries.

rleete

Postby rleete » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:29 am

Those motors will survive being wet just fine. Not sure about the batteries, but they're sealed, so probably fine.

Biggest problem will be rust, and they are fairly well protected from that, as they are outdoor toys. Just keep the bushings lubricated and they will hold up well.

Return to “Boat Power”