Use For An Inboard Engine Vacuum Pump?

About inboard or outboard motors.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

craig larson

Use For An Inboard Engine Vacuum Pump?

Postby craig larson » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:36 pm

...on April 29, 2008 I pulled this VW 1.6L IDI diesel engine from a 1989 Jetta and began disassembling and evaluating it

...the engine is now entirely rebuilt with the exception of the installation of the vacuum pump, which has a gear that connects the drive shaft to the intermediate shaft and thereby powers the oil pump

...the place where the drive shaft connects to this gear is worn and I want to replace it, but I have to have an entire vacuum pump assembly to do so

...a new vacuum pump is 225$, or I can get a vacuum pump that does not work but with a like-new gear in it for a fraction of the price

...tell me if there is some use for a vacuum pump on a boat that I would want a working vacuum pump or not?

thanks

Craig

...yes it has all been FULLY rebuilt and a marine exhaust manifold is added

...it is 54 hp and will be installed on a Glen-L Eagle, a displacement hull that is powered optimally with 12 horses

...the last thing to do is install the pump, add the oil and filter, prime the fuel pump, and turn the engine

...can't believe this phase is over

(...as a p.s. - does a working vac pump do anything to alleviate internal engine pressure on a low-performance engine like this? ...I know it does on high performance engines)

sproggy

Re: Use For An Inboard Engine Vacuum Pump?

Postby sproggy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:25 am

I believe that a vacuum pump is commonly fitted to road vehicle diesel engines to feed the brake servo/booster - something to do with diesels not creating enough low pressure in the inlet manifold to power the brakes. If this is the case, there would be no use for the vacuum pump on a boat. But I would strongly recommend that you verify this elsewhere just to be sure!

Ian

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:36 am

Craig

I believe Ian is correct. It supports the power steering and brake systems. Maybe Paul Cane will see this.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

craig larson

Postby craig larson » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:25 am

Yes, this vacuum runs the brake system. If there is no use for a vac system on a boat (instrumentation, etc.) then that's what I needed the hear. I sent Paul a PM and will wait to hear what he has to say...

Thanks very much!

jenko

Postby jenko » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:39 pm

I shall confirm the vacuum pump is for the brake system.Most diesels use the injectors to regulate fuel flow and engine speed and have no throttle butterfly ,hence no manifold vacuum ,thus the need for the vacuum pump to work the brake booster.
Unlike petrol engines which use the throttle butterfly to regulate airflow and engine speed ,which then gives greatest manifold vacuum on deceleration and no need for vacuum pump for brake booster

craig larson

Postby craig larson » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:51 am

...thanks...didn't know that...I've been part of a discussion on how to deactivate this pump on a vw diesel forum

...I have a rotary style vac pump...seems that I can remove the outer cover and take out the vanes inside, replace the cover, and there will be no vac

...so now I'm looking for a gear that is not pounded out

...thanks all

Return to “Boat Power”