midengine

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

jphil62

midengine

Postby jphil62 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:21 am

Hi all. I have a regal 250xl, she is actually 24.5 feet. I am pulling all plywood stringers and coosa all over. I bought a cummins diesel to throw
in her and I am worried that she will be too arse heavy with the 6bt. I have a bravo one outdrive, could I connect a torque tube to the sterndrive via
torque tube and make this whole thing work?

X23

Re: midengine

Postby X23 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:14 pm

The P-39 & P-63 did that, kinda in reverse. Engine was separated from the drive end like you proposed. Their "drive end" was on the front.

DSR

Postby DSR » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:38 pm

Hi jphil62,

It definitely can, and has been done, but .......

Do you know what the honest weight difference is between the complete original engine as installed (with all the accessories and exhaust attached) and the 6bt in the same configuration?

With the Regal originally designed as an I/O drive, the hull is designed to put the center of gravity well aft to balance the boat and you don't want to deviate from that very much. There are products available to divorce the engine from the drive, you just really need to make sure that it doesn't change that balance, or that changing the balance doesn't negatively affect performance or safety.

Hope that helps

Thanks,
Dave
DSR Performance - Home of yet another jet TNT build :D
Codename "Just A Little....."
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29753

Postby 283 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:18 pm

Can you move other weight forward to offset the differing engine weights? Maybe the fuel tanks?
Mike

Return to “Design Modifications”