Squirt in Alabama

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

micahjl

Squirt in Alabama

Post by micahjl » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:26 am

Hey All, just got the building form built and figured I'd start a thread to track the progress. I'll try and post a couple pictures later, but I did have a quick question.

For the building form, how essential is it to bolt to the ground? I've beefed up the form quite a bit using scrap material and it's pretty heavy already. Would prefer not drilling into the concrete if necessary.

Hoping to get a start on the frames this weekend. I bought some hobby cardboard and traced out/cut some templates. Hopefully they're straight. Had a bit of a time keeping the patterns straight - should have ironed them out more.

-Micah

Bill Edmundson

Re: Squirt in Alabama

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:44 am

Micah

I didn't attach to the floor. But, when you start bending shears, chines and battens you have to work both sides at the same time. You can start at the transom, where it is pretty straight, and attach each side. when you start the bend pull the two opposite members together. This leaves the pressure equal from both sides.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:40 pm

Hi Micah,
Good idea you had of beefing up your form.
I built my form heavy duty with additional bracing because I knew that I would be adding casters later so that I could move it around easily. I used 1/4" bolts and fender washers to put it together. I didn't use lag screws because I wanted to be able to really tighten up the form so it didn't move. It wasn't bolted to the floor. As building progressed I could scoot the form around my garage when needed. I jacked up the whole works and added the caster assemblies after much of my hull was completed, that way I could varnish and paint on my driveway apron instead of in my garage. After the flip, the removal and disassembly of the form was a breeze because it was put together with the bolts. See pics below.
Jim
Attachments
P1010062.JPG
without casters for most of the build
20150517_141629.jpg
the form with casters added
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:00 pm

How level is your floor? If it's level everyplace and everywhere, then I don't suppose bolting is necessary. If it's not, then you can still get by without bolting, but you need to mark out a home spot where the building form can be returned to for various tasks involved with the framing. Otherwise, you're not going to have a level consistent point of measurement to work from when you're doing things that are alignment or level critical such as aligning frames and fairing the frames.

micahjl

Post by micahjl » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:09 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Floor is fairly level, but I don't trust some spots. I may get a couple of sand bags for the bottom braces when I stress the frame. Great idea on marking out the spot in case it moves. I used a lot of 2x8 and 2x10 for support but may regret that later when trying to awkwardly clamp things.

-M

micahjl

Post by micahjl » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:40 am

Got this enormous 23bf African Mahogany board from City Hardwoods. Traced out the patterns and getting ready to cut. It's painful cutting into something this nice.

I realized my bosch jigsaw may be a pain to use. I need a more stable way to make accurate cuts. Off to find a cheap bandsaw... or jerry rig a decent work bench.

-M
Attachments
rsz_img_0046.jpg
rsz_img_0045.jpg

JasonQ

Post by JasonQ » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:55 am

Yes! A bandsaw will save you a ton of time! Also, if your templates are thick enough, a flush trim bit with a router will make easy work of it.

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:05 am

When I built my Utility, I did not bolt the construction form to the floor. I built the construction form VERY heavily, with 2x6 stringers along the top and 2x8s along the bottom to reinforce it, and plenty of cross-bracing. Once it was finished, and all the levels etc double-checked, I marked the positions of all the legs on the floor, using a sharpie.

I didn't have any major problems, although the form did move around a little bit. My biggest mistake with the form was not screwing the frames directly to the form... especially the foremost frame. I didn't want to drill through the frames unnecessarily, and I thought enough clamps would work. Clamps did not work adequately, and I did have some movement on the forward most frame. I managed to catch this problem before it became a major issue, and I repositioned the frame and screwed it to the form after-the-fact. I should've started that way.

As for your saw, you might consider a good circular saw to start with, in addition to a band saw. I managed okay with a $29 Ryobi jigsaw, but a bandsaw would've been nice to have.

Keep up the good work!
-Michael

Built Utility "Perseverance" — completed Aug 2016
Currently building a Zip
My Boatbuilding Blog: http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
My Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:03 am

I couldn't imagine building my boat with out a bandsaw. The boat has more curved pieces than straight. A bandsaw will also allow you to resaw wider boards for planking etc. Because of the thin kerf of the bandsaw blade I can get 3 one eighth inch boards out of a 4/4 piece of mahogany. When looking for a bandsaw I would look for one that can take a 6" riser block so you could have a 12" resaw capacity if you decide later. Look for one that will take up to a 1/2" blade. Bearing blade guides are also a nice feature. Like Jason said a flush trim router bit is nice to use with your templates. I made mine out of 1/2" mdf.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:17 am

A band saw is a worthy investment. I use mine a lot. And that's some nice African mahogany you have there! I picked up some nice African mahogany in Milford, CT for my Malahini deck. I am looking to bookmatch the woodgrain of the deck for appearance. I found two 6/4 x 18" x 10 ft quartersawn planks for making the 1/2" deck boards and an 8/4 x 16 x 17 ft piece for the cover boards. If you resaw like I will be, a band saw is a must and a carbide tipped blade is very helpful. A smaller power saw is still needed for cutting your stock down to manageable pieces to feed through the band saw and/or thickness planer.
You have a fun project, keep posting photos and have fun!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:24 am

I couldn't imagine building my boat with out a bandsaw.
Different builders use different tools effectively for accomplishing the same task. It's a personal preference as to what tools you have available and what you're used to working with, and feel safe working with as all these tools have a danger factor.

I've seen similar statements to the above quote before. A bandsaw is a great tool to have, but it's far from a necessity as I and many others have built boats without one. At times it would have been helpful to have a bandsaw, but I'm so used to making templates and using a flush cut router bit to make perfect copies of the template, I think I'd seldom use a bandsaw even if I had one.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you have a bandsaw, or really want one for various projects, great! But I wouldn't rush out to buy one just to build a Squirt.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:05 pm

Micah

I don't have a bandsaw, would have been nice to have. I have a jigsaw, tablesaw, circular saw, and a miter saw. And, others.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

micahjl

Post by micahjl » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:30 pm

I guess one of my biggest frustrations with wood working is never having the right tool for every application and getting frustrated down the line making it work. Got a track saw to rip boards.... can't effectively rip thin stock or 9+ ft boards... now I need to buy a table saw. Got a thickness planer... and now need a jointer to keep the boards from warping.

At the end of the day it's a blade and a motor, but somehow my mental sanity needs something efficient. God forbid I ever have to move and clean all this crap out.

Just picked up a big box band saw so we'll see how it does and I'll report back. Thanks for the suggestions.

Post by 283 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:57 pm

I have a bandsaw and haven’t really used it that much for the boat.

I find it easier to make templates out 3 or 4 mm luan. A jig saw and wide belt edge sander let you make templates very accurate quickly. Then use the jigsaw to make a rough cut out in the mahogany and a router with a pattern bit to make the finish pass.

Of course every thing in woodworking can be done different ways... do what works best for you.

(But make sure you have same hand planes)

If you don’t want to drill the floor I’d consider at least glueing it in place with some sub floor adhesive.
Mike

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:44 pm

No band saw in my shop and and I’m too scared to use the router most of the time, plain ol jig saw gets her done.
Matt B

Return to “Small outboards”