Roustabout build in progress

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Elliot

Roustabout build in progress

Postby Elliot » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:42 pm

I started building the Roustabout in December and I feel like I'm making some progress! I've lurked quite a bit on these forums and I thought it would be a shame not to share. Here's a picture of more or less where I'm at. That's my dad in the photo who just started showing an interest and is now hooked on helping in the build.

Anyone else build the Roustabout?
Attachments
IMG_4148.JPG

hoodman

Re: Roustabout build in progress

Postby hoodman » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:11 pm

I'd say you surely have made some good progress! Looking great! Now that we know about you there's no more lurking allowed. That's a great design, glad you are building it.

Ibrew2be

Postby Ibrew2be » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:32 pm

Welcome to the forum, Elliot. I look forward to following your build; the Roustabout is one of the boats I've been considering for my second build.

Are you building the Roustabout at 17 feet, or have you decided to stretch it?

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched. Thinking hard about Boat 2.0

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:16 pm

I'm building it 17'. I thought about stretching it to 18, but it would be a little too tight in the garage.

I'm just north of Chicago and I'll be taking this out on Lake Michigan. I thought the roustabout would be a fun family boat for most of the summer when the waves aren't too bad.

I've been having a blast building it so far. My goal is to have it on the water this summer, but we'll see how it goes.

Shaunh

Postby Shaunh » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:08 am

Hi Elliot
Congrats on getting underway. What motor are you planning, inboard or outboard?

Cheers
Shaun

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:28 am

I'm going to do outboard, I've heard good things about Evinrude. Still undecided on HP. Maybe 75, anyone have thoughts on an appropriate size outboard for the 17' Roustabout?

I'm new to power boats, so motor advice would be appreciated!

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:56 am

You could easily go with a 115 on the Roustabout.

1969Jet

Postby 1969Jet » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:05 pm

Hi Elliot

I'm just in the process of redoing the Roustabout my Father built it in 1969, I have it all stripped down and am just redoing the Transom, Decking, and Bottom Hull. I have spent many years sking and such behind it, feel free to ask any questions as this was a great build. And the boat rides great. We run a small block 383 stroker with a Jacuzzi WJ jet. Not a reccomended combination but in all the years of using it, we have never had any issues except for the occasional sucked up ski rope. I am hoping to have finished all the new upgrades and have it back in the lake by next year.

Joe

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:21 pm

Joe that's awesome! I'd love to see pictures if you ever get a chance.

I'll continue to post updates as I go.

bobinpowayca

Postby bobinpowayca » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:47 pm

Hi Elliot, that's good progress! I really liked the Roustabout plans - I'm building the Geronimo (16'), I wasn't quite sure if I could squeeze the Roustabout build into my garage. I think it would do okay in a mild chop with that deep vee. I have an evinrude etec90 , for some reason it doesn't weigh anymore than the evinrude etec 75, both are 320lbs.
Speaking of jacuzzi water pumps sucking up a ski rope - the navy's river patrol boat in the 60's ("PBRs") used them - I believe the engines were twin grey marine v-6 diesels driving two jacuzzi water pumps - the boat was 31 feet long and I think only drew 24" of water (more or less), but was very fast and maneuverable, the steering wheel controlled the left/right direction of the jets, then two long levers controlled the forward/reverse direction of the jets, and two more shorter throttle levers. So the boat could go flat out at a little over 30 knots and you could stop on a dime like a jet reversing its thrusts, or you could spin the wheel and make a u-turn without capsizing; all this in waist deep water. and with twin 50's forward, a single 50 aft, an M-60 on the engine cover, and other assorted armament. And five men. But a big problem was the intake grates to the jacuzzi pumps getting plugged up with river debris. Wish I could say that I was on the boat crew, I was mainly "in the rear with the gear", but they let me drive it a couple times :D This is the boat in "Apocalypse Now", I think it's just the coolest boat ever.
I think a Roustabout with a V-8 and a jacuzzi water pump would be incredible. Love to see a picture of that. Bob
Bob

1969Jet

Postby 1969Jet » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:56 am

Hi Elliott

Ill link the pictures i have so far, Im about to remove transom and install new one, then will need to flip and redo Bottom of the hull, had a bit of Rot down by lifting strakes and bottom of transom, so i figured i would just redo completly. Have all the new Mahognay coming for the Deck hoping to have finished by next year if all goes well. Since was built in the 60's the fuel tanks were from Automobiles so needing to change them and a few other things.

Please keep me updated on your build, would love to see it built from scratch.

viewtopic.php?t=30531

Joe

1969Jet

Postby 1969Jet » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:40 am

Hi There

What wood did you use for your Battens

Joe

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:46 am

I'm using Sapele for the battens, except for the outermost which are white oak.

So far I've used Sapele for the frames, white oak for the keel and African mahogany for the chine logs/sheer clamps.

I'm having a hard time finding a lot of quality quarter sawn long boards from my hardwood store, so I use what i can find!

I could be wrong but I'm choosing the quality of the individual boards over consistency of wood species throughout.

I started planking, it's going well so far!
Attachments
IMG_4187.JPG

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Tue May 22, 2018 8:09 am

Been making some more progress, finished painting this last weekend. 4 coats of VC performance epoxy, rolled on. I'm pretty happy with it. Not perfect, but I've never done this before so I wasn't expecting perfection. Ready to flip next weekend!

I'm considering going with a 115HP etec for power, anyone think that might be too much or too heavy? its listed as 390lbs. I don't want to under or over power and I'm kinda guessing here, not much experience with power boats.

bt1.jpg

bt2.jpg

bt3.jpg

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue May 22, 2018 8:23 am

Elliot

I think the 115 E-Tec will be just right. That should give you a WOT of about 40 mph. Easy cruise of 24 to 30 mph. I talked to a mechanic in Belize. He had nothing but good to say about E-Tec.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Power Boats”