Celerity Build

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

BillJ

Celerity Build

Post by BillJ »

My plans are to use this boat as a daily runabout to visit neighbors, quick runs to the marina grocery store, etc. so in no way will she be princess. Maybe a hint of class here and there but for the most part, something to use and enjoy. With that in mind, what time saving steps/materials should I be looking into to keep her build time down and still make her tough? Which steps take up a huge amount of time? My plans of this moment are to have all start materials and shop ready to get sawdust flying August 1 with a 12 month build time so I'll be ready for G13.

BillJ

BayouBengal

Re: Celerity Build

Post by BayouBengal »

Minimizing the amount clear finished wood will save you loads of time because you can just use sheet plywood and product like Quikfair and paint over it. Adding some natural clear finished mahogany trim pieces which will nicely enhance the paint and subtly let everyone know she's a woody.
I'm in the "no fiberglass cloth" camp for reasons other than time savings, but not using fiberglass cloth will save a fair amount of time.
Buy a good running motor complete with wiring and controls. Not having to fix a motor and mate controls will save lots of time (and headaches).
Good luck with the build.

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

The fiberglass didn't take me very long. I think maybe 2-3 weeks and that was in wintertime having to wait for epoxy to cure. A shop where you can control temperature even a little bit will speed things up. Don't get frustrated if you can't complete it in 12 months. That's a tight deadline for a first time builder. If you're retired and can dedicate most of your time to it that is a different story though. Fairing the framing will take some time for a first time builder as well. Encapsulate things as you assemble the hull while it is upside down. Try to find the well-documented build threads on the forum and study those.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

BillJ

Post by BillJ »

Great replies guys! Just the type of advice I was hoping for. Yes I realize a year is a tight schedule for a first time boat builder but for me, it has to be. Without a tight production schedule, knowing me like I do, I could justify taking ten or more years to complete if ever. I'm so like my dad when it comes to projects. We are either "in" or "out". No not the best way, just being frank. Caught the fever watching the videos of the boats heading up the river together, that was just cool!

Return to “Miscellaneous”