Bob's Geronimo, scuffed hull help

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

bobinpowayca

Bob's Geronimo, scuffed hull help

Post by bobinpowayca » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:03 am

Howdy, well we had a great trip, kind of the culmination of my build but I made a big mistake trying to get off some hull marks. Cabin came with our own slip and I bumped the sides of my boat a lot going in and out - kept looking for the brake pedal - I've launched from the sides of piers but not in and out of a slip. The slip had some kind of vinyl/rubber bumpers and I wasn't careful, figured the Awlgrip paint was tough enough (which it is). Not til I got home in the driveway did I notice lots of smears, or streaks, along the hull where I hit the slip over the week. No damage to the paint I think, just hard to get those streaks off the hull. The hull scraped off the bumper material, not vice-versa.
So after considering solvents, goof-off, and trying my thumbnails I decided to try scrubbing it off with my wife's green and yellow kitchen pad, which is a 3M scotch-brite pad. Stupid. It was taking off the mars, but since it was wet, I didn't realize I was scouring the paint until I did the whole side of the hull. As it dried, you can see all along the stbd hull flat blue scoured areas where I scrubbed, and still didn't get all the transferred-on mars off.
There's a good hard coat of paint on the hull, at least 2 or 3 coats of awlgrip. I'd appreciate any suggestions on:
1. How to get the remaining marks off (i.e., what would have worked before I messsed up my nice ocean blue hull?)
2. Now that I have these scoured areas along my hull, how to take care of that? I'm hoping because it's just the surface of the paint it can be buffed
out to blend in with the darker shiny paint, any ideas on a buffer method?
I may have to wait until I have some surgeries taken care of and just put another coat on the hull, but I have some painted on lettering and eyes I'd hate to have to sand off. Thanks, Bob hope (you can notice the scuffs/scoured area on the pictures)
Attachments
DSCF0194.JPG
DSCF0190.JPG
DSCF0159.JPG
our slip at lake almanor
Bob

Roberta

Re: Bob's Geronimo, scuffed hull help

Post by Roberta » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:40 am

I would use 3m Trizact pads (3000 and 5000 grit) and then compound and buff with 3m Perfect it with foam pads.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

billy c

Post by billy c » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:14 am

Bob
It looks like you are down to/thru the primer in the scratch area?
If so, it might be good to mask off the area you scratched and sand that area to prep for paint. Then recoat. When dry you can feather that patch area into the rest of the hull using Robertas post above.
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:39 am

Yes, if you did reach primer you would need to recoat. I was under the impression by your post that you didn't.

Roberta

bobinpowayca

Post by bobinpowayca » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:15 pm

Hey thanks a lot Roberta and Billy!
No, I haven't scoured down to the primer, I think I only went down enough to leave the flat blue scuff mark - probably not even enough for prepping for a third coat. While I was doing this I used the pad and hot soapy water trying to rub it off, and was mindful of trying to rub off the deposited material only and not go to hard, but I went back over the mark vertically a few inches up and down to get more off and didn't notice cause it was wet and soapy (good excuse, huh).
I remember doing this same thing years ago on my motorcycle exhaust header trying to get baked on road tar off, and it took the chrome plating down to the copper strike before I realized my mistake. This is twice :(
So Roberta, what kind of buffer would you need for these trizac pads, is that a dry operation? Then I assume the 3m Perfect you'd use same buffer with the foam pads? Also, still a little of the vinyl/rubber pier material I didn't get all the way off -thinking that may clog up the trizac pads so maybe I should try something like Goof-Off to get that residue off before sanding?
Thanks so much folks.. Bob
Bob

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:32 pm

The Trizact pads are used wet. They are available in various diameters and work well with RA air sanders. I used 6 inch pads. You could go to 1600 grit to clean up the residue, but the 3000 should work. You can also find the waffle compounding pads in various diameters. Ebay and Amazon are good sources for all the products and kits offering all the Perfect It products are available. Look for vendors that offer the Trizact pads in smaller quantities so you don't have to buy a full box.

Roberta

bobinpowayca

Post by bobinpowayca » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:45 pm

Thanks again!
Bob

TomB

Post by TomB » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:18 pm

Try acetone to get the dock smears off, it will melt most plastic/vinyl compounds. If that doesn't get it try naphtha. The scuffed areas will buff out, no need to repaint or throw the boat away. :D :D :D

Tom

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:30 pm

Bob, next time try one of these sponges if you need to scrub a little. A lot safer than that scotch brite!
Attachments
IMG_20180926_183351295.jpg
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:50 am

Yup!! Scotch Brite is what I use to scuff up topcoats for the next coat. Definitely dulls the paint.

Roberta

bobinpowayca

Post by bobinpowayca » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:49 am

Thanks for all the help, shipmates, I feel better now :) Bob
Bob

Return to “Power Boats”