FF in Kathleen GA

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Hercdrvr

Re: FF in Kathleen GA

Post by Hercdrvr » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:28 pm

Sure, why not? Let er rip.
Matt B

billy c

Post by billy c » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:54 am

Conrad
looks good :)
use your metal detector over that and get all the dander off before running thru your saw and planer.
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:17 am

If the keel is laminated with epoxy...why would you need screws from the bottom?
Attachments
20181007_140948.jpg
Keep your lines tight!

Conrad

Consider what God has done: Who can straighten what he has made crooked? Ecc 7:13 :)

TomB

Post by TomB » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:22 pm

To expand the question...screws between keel and sheer clam laminations (#8 @ 6"?), and then more screws through the hull layers and the laminations (#8 @ 3"?)...that's a lot of screws, why?

Answered as if I was the designer...If there is a little weakness in the woodgrain in one layer or another, the screws hold things together and prevent cracks from opening. If there is a little distraction while measuring epoxy components, the screws hold things together. Differential expansion between solid lumber and plywood may lead to eventual joint failure (not sure I agree with that one), the screws hold things together. Building with what you've got, suspect as it may be, screws hold things together. Something dynamic happens when the bottom of the water and the top of the water get too close together while the boat is cruising in the middle, screws hold things together.

I not putting in that many screws, but its on me not the designer.

Tom

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:13 pm

TomB wrote:To expand the question...screws between keel and sheer clam laminations (#8 @ 6"?), and then more screws through the hull layers and the laminations (#8 @ 3"?)...that's a lot of screws, why?

Answered as if I was the designer...If there is a little weakness in the woodgrain in one layer or another, the screws hold things together and prevent cracks from opening. If there is a little distraction while measuring epoxy components, the screws hold things together. Differential expansion between solid lumber and plywood may lead to eventual joint failure (not sure I agree with that one), the screws hold things together. Building with what you've got, suspect as it may be, screws hold things together. Something dynamic happens when the bottom of the water and the top of the water get too close together while the boat is cruising in the middle, screws hold things together.

I not putting in that many screws, but its on me not the designer.

Tom
Well, if I do place screws in it, I'll do it after the flip
Keep your lines tight!

Conrad

Consider what God has done: Who can straighten what he has made crooked? Ecc 7:13 :)

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:44 pm

Well, here is the proposed fix for the chine logs...havent glued them on yet, I'll set them in tomorrow, but it should allow for the angle fix once shaved down properly.
Attachments
20181008_205923.jpg
Keep your lines tight!

Conrad

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:28 pm

Chine fairing should work out nicely with the added lamination. Looking good sir,
Matt B

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:26 pm

It seems almost everyone has to do this. I did it myself and have seen it done across multiple different designs. Just part of the process. It's looking good, you're getting it.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Return to “Hankinson designs”