Tom's Tahoe

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

DrBryanJ

Re: Tom's Tahoe

Post by DrBryanJ »

In the past someone had mentioned a clear filler to use. I think it was Jim Neeley. I can't remember the name of the stuff and couldn't find the post. Maybe they will see this and mention it again.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

I have a wallpaper steamer. I fired it up and steamed all visible holes. The steam closed them up to my satisfaction...I don't seem them now, but I also used filler stain which likely filled those I missed with steam.

Mick

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Hi Tom,
Someone mentioned my name in vain, so I guess i'll chime in. :lol:

Thinned famowood might work for you. It will take your stain. I have used it on my boat to fill brad marks, and it works great. I had a few small dimples remaining, and took care of them when building up layers of varnish. Nothing shows now.

Boatlife caulk also might work for you. It comes in different colors. Their mahogany color matches my chris craft red stain perfectly.
When I attached my spray rails, I used it to fill any small gaps between the rail and the hull. Make sure you get the Boatlife Life-Caulk (polysulfide sealant) not their silicone type. The Boatlife Life-Caulk can be sanded and painted. (I varnished right over it).

Whatever you do, no one will probably ever notice. I have to keep telling myself, "It's just a boat, not a piece of fine furniture."

Jim Neeley
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

My answer to small imperfections... Drive faster!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

TomB

Post by TomB »

Brian, I am using MAS epoxy and it comes in a couple of viscosities (runny stuff and motor oil). Maybe chopped glass thickener would go down clear? Have some, haven't tried it, maybe tomorrow.

Mick with his steamer and me with an iron...valet service for boats, steamed and pressed while you wait. :lol: :lol: :lol: The iron worked but also raised the grain so do it early to avoid extra sanding. I did it late. :oops: :oops:

Jim, thanks for the tip on caulk. I plan to mount spray rails before the flip so will be checking it out.

Here is a close up of some staple holes. Straight on they look fine, hardly different than the natural fleck in the wood.
IMG_0273.jpg
Then from the side to catch the reflection...
IMG_0274.jpg
The top hole can probably be sanded smooth, the bottom one not. As I sand the shine comes off and is replaced by a white haze, except in the staple holes which still shows black. Can't figure it out, most holes filled, often times its one open and one full for a staple. (rules out operator error :?: maybe). I am worried that those dimples will telegraph through the varnish and forever be immortalized as little craters in my varnish job. (still dreaming mirror finish)

Tom

TomB

Post by TomB »

Hey Bill, 50 MPH in a light chop, perfect :D :D :D

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Tom

At 50 in a light chop, not even you will notice them! You'll be looking at the water.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Sorry Jim, I mentioned you, but have since found the post I was talking about. It was by BayouBengal. He recommended using Silvertip GelMagic.https://www.systemthree.com/products/si ... y-adhesive We were discussing my staple holes getting filled:
If still not filled before applying your final coats, mix up some GelMagic and apply with a squeegee to the spots. It will cure clear and has enough viscosity that it will shouldn't run out.
I ended up not needing to use it so I can't say if it worked or not.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

TomB

Post by TomB »

Thanks Bryan, I will take a look.

I stopped work on one side and concentrated on the other adding a coat of epoxy, sanding it off, adding a coat...I am in that group of people that do the same thing over and over and expect to get different results :lol: :lol: :lol: The dimples seem to be going away maybe.

Today I mixed a small batch of epoxy and let it begin to set before spreading on/pushing into the holes...it looks like it was spread with a mop...more sanding tomorrow.

Tom

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Tom... I have done a few small repairs to my Gentry. The way that works best for me is to tape on both sides or around the hole with masking tape. Then I mix up some epoxy and thicken it a little with mahogany sawdust and fil the hole. Then I take clear packing tape and tape it down tight over the repair, making sure the packing tape does not go past the masking tape in any direction. After it cures and you remove the tape, very little sanding, if any, is required. Packing tape is your friend !! It works for me... Neel

TomB

Post by TomB »

Thats a great tip Neel
I'll say! Thanks Neel.

The port side got an almost final sand today. I taped off all the defects and plan to give the packing tape tip a try. The bottom is ready for paint. The starboard side is waiting...
IMG_0276.jpg
Tom

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Oh Boy... Now I'm sweating it !! If this procedure doesn't work for you, I will be in the dog house..... Please keep us posted

TomB

Post by TomB »

No worries Neel...

Poor man's Peel Ply...
IMG_0278.jpg
Fingers crossed.

Tom

TomB

Post by TomB »

The tape came off, sanding block back to work...mixed results.

The tape did a great job of holding the epoxy and limiting the drips. Sanding a jillion 1" square dots is a lot easier than sanding the side of the hull and most holes filled. There are still about 30 holes, down from a jillion, that got re-Thompson'd (how's that for a verb Neel? :D :D ) So remove the tape, sand, re-tape, epoxy, and packing tape in about 3 hours---lots faster.

Tom

Return to “Hankinson designs”