How to finish deck surface

Painting options, interior and exterior.

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Bill W

How to finish deck surface

Post by Bill W » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:32 am

I have made my Zip deck out of strips of 1/4" Okume plywood. Now what is the best way to finish it. Should I put a coat of epoxy on first, then varnish, or just start with varnish on the raw wood ?

Thanks for the help.

Roberta

Re: How to finish deck surface

Post by Roberta » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:32 pm

Are you planning on staining the wood to create some contrast from the decking to the cover boards? The best finish will be to stain, followed by a sealer like Pettits, then varnish. Some varnishes will attack epoxy and the finish will become gummy and not dry.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill W

Post by Bill W » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:40 pm

Not sure about the contrast. I really like the look of your torpedo. What stains did you use.

Thanks.

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:10 pm

I used Chris Craft Red and Chris Craft Cordova from Sandusky. The stain was applied and rubbed out and allowed to dry a few weeks before sealing with several coats of System Three Silver Tip resin. Then the deck was coated with three coats of Epifanes two part Poly-U clear and buffed out. White 3M 4000uV was used to caulk the seams. The hull was painted with White and Blue Epifanes two part Poly-U.

I used Epifanes Varnish on my Zip. That required about 17 coats to get it perfect, with sanding between each coat. The varnish is really deep and beautiful when finished, but does not hold up as well as the Poly-U. My finish on the Torpedo still looks good after 4 seasons and is very durable. Do not use Epifanes Vanish on top of System Three epoxy resins. Poly-U is fine, but the Poly-U eats up rollers after about 25 sq. ft. of use. These are the really good Redtree phenolic core rollers. Hot dog rollers and cheap rollers will come apart almost immediately and ruin your finish.

Here is a link to doing the Epifanes Varnish and stains: http://www.vintageraceboatshop.com/Stain-Varnish.htm

The Zip was stained with Chris Craft Red and Dark Walnut on Philippine Mahogany. The Torpedo was done on African Mahogany.

Hope this helps.

Roberta
Attachments
redo done 010.JPG
redo done 007.JPG
redo done 004.JPG
IMG_1782.jpg
IMG_1779.jpg

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:32 pm

:D That's really nice,Roberta.Epifanes won't cure over epoxy shield either.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:11 am

Epifanes products are fantastic to use, but have some crazy solvents that eat up rollers and react to certain other products. Best to follow successful practices or do tests before using on large surfaces. This advice is true of any product line.

Roberta

TomB

Post by TomB » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:00 am

I'm using the Interlux version of the same products...basically nasty solvents with a little finish mixed in. Roberta mentioned using these hot dog rollers a while back www.jamestowndistributors.com/userporta ... ller+Cover . They are expensive, but you can get a coat out of one roller before they start to dissolve. The solvents dissolve foam brushes too. These hold up much better than the cheap ones at the home center https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/u ... am+Brushes

Tom

Bill W

Post by Bill W » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:31 pm

Roberta : Thanks for the info on the stains. I'm going to take a look at those Chris Craft colors.