Never owned a boat and I'm thinking of building the Malahini

Outboard designs up to 14'

Moderator: ttownshaw

Aldo B

Never owned a boat and I'm thinking of building the Malahini

Post by Aldo B » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:01 pm

Hello Everyone,
I make furniture as a hobby and have always dreamed of owning a wood boat. After seeing what can be done on youtube, I'm starting to consider building one for myself. I have a 2 car garage (22' deep) and I have a family of 5, so I narrowed down on the Malahini design. I live in the Cincinnati area, so I have the Ohio river close by and a few small lakes near by.

I would like to ask the community what I should consider when selecting a boat design and if you have any advise for an aspiring boat owner/builder that would be new to boating.

Thank you!

I have attached some of the sketches I have been doing while thinking of this build.
Attachments
BoatSketches.jpeg
Design Ideas

BarnacleMike

Re: Never owned a boat and I'm thinking of building the Malahini

Post by BarnacleMike » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:28 pm

Aldo,

You should come to the boatbuilders gathering in September, and see and ride in some of the boats there... especially a Malahini. I’m sure someone will have one there. There are usually 1 or 2, at least.

The Malahini, in my opinion, is a superb boat for a small family. I’ve ridden in a few, and it’s a comfortable, roomy boat to be only 16 feet long.

My other recommendations to you would be to buy & read Glen L. Witt’s book Boatbuilding With Plywood and read Bob Brandenstein’s Malahini build blog in its entirety.

Seriously. Come to the Gathering. It’s maybe 2-1/2 hours south of Nashville, right off I-24.
-Michael

"How long does it take to build a boat? Until it's finished" — yours truly

Blog (Utility & Zip): http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:33 pm

Aldo, I'll second coming to the gathering. I'm sure there will be at least one malahini there. From you its pretty much a straight shot down 75.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:40 pm

The Malahini is a great choice. Riding in one at the gathering will definitely give you motivation for your build.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:14 pm

I’ll be at The Gathering with a Malahini, take it out on the river a few miles and give her hell, see what you think. Time to build, cost, simplicity of construction, speed, head turner factor, versatility, etc...it’s hard to beat. I have about $12,000 in mine.
Don’t get me wrong, this Barrelback I’m building now has way more sex appeal but it costs twice as much to build, twice as long to build and will be terrible for family fun water sports.
Matt B

TAB

Post by TAB » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:52 pm

no better way to figure out if a boat suits your needs then to take a ride in one.

you said you have a family of 5, if you don't mind me asking how old are the kids? the reason I ask is if they are on the smaller size, a 60hp would be more then enough power to pull them on pretty much any water sports device they want. if they are older you may want to look for a 75 or 90hp. as it will give you more then enough to pull even a large teen out of the water on a single with ease.

Moeregaard

Post by Moeregaard » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:07 am

The Malahini would be a great first build. I built a Zip and it's a fun boat, but with a family of your size I'd stay in the 15--16-ft. range. Another great choice would be the Geronimo. Kirk Bellamy built a very nice one and you can see it in the Customer Photos page. It seems to have worked well for his family as his kids grew, so there's little chance of "growing out" of the boat. I think he has a 75-horse Merc on it.

Since you're used to doing fine woodwork as a cabinetmaker, I'm going to offer some advice. I'm a machinist by profession and tend to agonize over getting everything perfect, right down to the smallest detail. A boat has very few right angles and there are many aspects of building one that don't require that sort of attention. Obviously, joints should be tight and gap-free, but lying awake at night thinking about some minor asymmetry between one side of the boat and the other will drive you nuts. As one forum member mentioned in one thread, "Accuracy tends to be a moving target when building a boat."

-Mark Shipley
One Zip, two Can-yaks, what's next?
A boat is just a wooden box with no right angles.

Return to “Small outboards”