Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:36 am
http://www.marineind.net/index.htm

Try these folks.

Bill

perfect...just asked for a price. Thanks so much Bill

Bill Edmundson

Re: The Fletchers Malahini

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:00 am

They make it for most of the other companies.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:45 pm

Wow, lots done! Looks great! About moving deck beams that form part of the frames, I don't recommend it because of structural concerns. The frame 1 deck beam supports the sides of the boat as well as the deck, the best way to do that structurally is to connect the tops of the frame 1 sides together with the deck beam per plan. Otherwise you might see the sides flexing and deck joints opening up. The Malahini is pretty roomy as designed, not sure you'd gain much more space without a lot of extra work and added weight of compensating structure. Same goes for the frame 4 deck beam, that one for sure should be installed per plan. The dash board could be moved a little forward from plan location.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:15 pm

Nice work on the side rails. I think these lend an air of elegance to wooden boats. Your's certainly do.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

bstrong

Post by bstrong » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:07 am

Thanks, I have reconsidered moving the back deck beam, I will stick to the original plans maybe push the dash beam a little.

bstrong

Post by bstrong » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:10 pm

I was busy admiring biss handywork, I started working on the dash, and side boxes. Been doing a lot of thinking about the hatch in the back, I was thinking on going with one hatch across the back from motor well frame to motor well frame like Matts.
Attachments
IMG_20190710_193453461.jpg
IMG_20190710_193442376.jpg

footer

Post by footer » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:06 am

Just a thought as it probably isn't in your plan, but there is another option and that's building it like mine. There is ample leg room in my boat. Although you loose the storage box's, there is more than enough room to move around in (don't mind the battery in the pic, its just sitting there).
It also gives the versatility of spinning the seats backwards. I even moved my dash back 2.5" to get a little longer front deck.
Attachments
Leg room
Leg room

bstrong

Post by bstrong » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:43 pm

Not much progress lately been so hot in the shop. My gas tank finally came (took 7 weeks ) so I got that in and put the lights in to see how they would look. I cant seem to add the video of the lights, but they look cool you can control with your phone and are mounted underneath for accent. I also purchased a 2016 60 mercury 4 stroke so waiting on that to come.
gas tank.jpg

CarlM

Post by CarlM » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:06 pm

Your build is looking great and i love the dash! What wood is the lighter inlaid portion? I plan on doing the same as you but in reverse. I have a beautiful quilted maple board for the dash and plan to have mahogany inlaid in the same fashion as you. Keep it up she is looking awesome!.......Carl

bstrong

Post by bstrong » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:09 pm

Thanks for the reply, the white inlay is pine that I had laying around the shop. If this heat breaks I will get back to work but the shop is like a greenhouse.

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:44 pm

Looks great! And a great choice for power, you'll be happy with it. I saw a Malahini at this year's Woodenboat Show in Mystic CT and it had an Evinrude 60 which the owner said is a great match to the boat.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:51 am

Nice initial work on the interior. That dash is gorgeous, but so are those side panels with the cup holders. I hear you on the heat. It's like a blast furnace in my garage on most days. Limits me to no more than an hour before retreating to air conditioning for a break.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Biss

Post by Biss » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:29 am

Looking really good. The dash is great, with a real classic look. I think you will really like the 60hp merc. I have absolutely no complaints with mine, and it is a really good match for the Malahini. It starts right up everytime and only sips gas! Super quiet too. Are you installing the motor yourself?

bstrong

Post by bstrong » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:27 am

Yea, the motor is being shipped to my home it is a 2016 so no factory warranty but a 1 year from the seller. It is a rebuild from Blackbird motors on ebay. I have no controls yet so am shopping for that, if you have any advise on installing let me know, I was looking at this for a control https://www.ebay.com/itm/Binnacle-Outbo ... 3397642344

Biss

Post by Biss » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:31 pm

Looks like the same controls I'm using. Seems to work fine and it connected right to the mercury harness. I purachased the harness from ebay as well (used). Ill try to hunt down the part number for the harness and ignition switch that i used.

Return to “Power Boats”