Boat Selection Advice Please

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Keelkicker

Boat Selection Advice Please

Post by Keelkicker » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:26 pm

Hi

Apologies, you have probably been asked this a gazillion times, but....

I am trying to decide on the right boat to build and have narrowed it down to either the Squirt or the Dyno Mite or maybe the TNT (unless there is something else you can recommend ??). So many choices !

I have built a small stitch and glue dinghy and a mini max sea flea in the past, with mixed success: - they both float but they were certainly learning experiences !

My brief for the next build was for 2 seats, (I would like to take the wife out with me), and if possible fit on the tray of my Ute (8ft) rather than having to go on a trailer, maybe with a bit of an over hang. At 120lbs my thinking was that i could man-handle the squirt up onto tray - it wont be much heavier if at all than my over engineered mini max... I have a 15hp mercury short shaft 2 stroke to power it.

I’m about 6’4” and light and was thinking that i would fit in any of them

From what I can gather,the squirt is built around frames, but the dyno mite / TNT is not - just stitch and glue ?? Maybe I haven’t researched enough.

I’m a little concerned that the frame construction may be beyond my skill set and i should sacrifice shorter length fora simpler quicker build. ?

So, I guess my question is, is the dyno mite / tnt an easier build than the squirt ??

Grateful for any guidance

Kk

Denon Osterman

Re: Boat Selection Advice Please

Post by Denon Osterman » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:16 pm

Hey Kk,

Welcome to the forum! Hopefully I can give some guidance without turning into a long, rambling rant...

First and foremost, the Squirt and TNT are both "plywood on frame" construction, and I believe the dynomite is stitch and glue. The TNT was my first boat and an amazing boat to cut my teeth on - the squirt serves the same purpose, but for obvious reasons they appeal to different demographics. I believe they are the two most popular plans Glen-L sells, at least in that size range, and for good reason!

Personally, I actually think "plywood on frame" construction is easier to wrap my head around than stitch and glue. Folding a boat like origami just doesn't make sense to me...whereas piecing it together sort of like a lego, does. Either way, I wouldn't worry about the construction techniques - you'll be fine, and the forum will help when you'll need.

I don't know where you boat but my main issue with the TNT was it was just too damn small once I grew up a bit (I was like 14 when I first built it), and I hated the flat bottom after a few summers as my lake just doesn't seem to stay flat as often as it should. I know this isn't in any way what you wanted to hear, but your wife (and you) will likely be happier - longer term - with something just a bit bigger. The 14-16' range is where they start becoming a "real" boat IMO. A trailer doesn't cost much, especially not compared to the rest of the boat, and especially not if bought used or built yourself. Plans to look at if you're remotely open to going bigger are the Tuffy (almost as small, but just bigger enough to make a difference), Zip (classic looks, flat bottom, the smallest "big boat"), Rebel (medium size with a V), Geronimo (will feel the "biggest" due to the V and higher freeboard), and Malahini (classic look, hugely popular, big enough to likely never want more). Another critical point is that you can change a lot of the boat! The overall deck design, look, feel, etc are all very open to customization. My TNT had a "mustang fast back" style rear, and my rampage (18 foot deep fee speed boat) has a drastically increased freeboard and more "classic" feel to it, than the all out racer the design intended. the shape of the hull is very important, particularly below the waterline...but once you flip it upright you get a lot more freedom to make it look and feel how you want.

All of that being said, if you're set on keeping it small, all three are great designs - I would personally go for the dynomite with a jet drive in it, because the dynomite is a "V" hull and jet drives are badass, unique, cheap, and tons of fun. An outboard works too, of course...but I like jets :D

I suspect that didn't help at all so, as we like to say up here in Canada, sorry!

-Denon

denbrlr

Re: Boat Selection Advice Please

Post by denbrlr » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:22 am

Hi Kk. I also built a TNT back in 2010-2011 and it is an awesome boat. I can fit in it fine but I am only 5' 9''. My son grew up (6' and much bigger than me) and it is a little small for him. I recommend considering the Bullet. It is a similar size boat but is a little deeper and is a little more of a V bottom. Have fun! :)

Return to “Power Boats”