Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:51 pm

Thanks for the responses Bill, Footer, and Denon

I've been pondering several ideas trying to find the right mix that maximizes space. When I get enough working ideas, I'll start mocking up to see how it looks.

One of the challenges with my particular boat, likely because I lowered the aft cabin floor, is that there is no room underneath for a fuel tank of any decent size. The plan had been to put it under a cabinet on the port side across from the helm station, but after my last posting, I've decided that will take up too much room in the cabin.

So I am currently thinking about a wrap around bench running from the port side cabin to the back. I am not sure this is going to work, but so far it offer's a decent amount of floor space while providing for additional storage and seating in the aft cabin. I am thinking something approximately 12 -13 inches deep, about 17 - 18 inches high (including the cushion thickness - though perhaps this could go taller) and the length of the aft cabin (at least on the port side). It would then wrap around and run across the back with the same approximate dimensions.

Here's the quandary I am currently facing. This arrangement leaves a space on the port side for a fuel tank but so far the largest I can find that fits in this area is 19 gallons. Assuming an average of 3 gallons per hour usage on the motor , that leaves enough fuel for about 6 hours if used continuously. Since I am unlikely to be running the boat all the time on any given day at the lake, I expect that actual time would be closer to 8 10 hours.

Do these estimates sound reasonable? Having no previous experience with boats, I do not know if a 19 gallon tank is sufficient.

My truck has a 22 gallon tank and that lasts all week, but it averages about 16 MPG.

Of course a custom tank could be had, but at a much higher cost. Any way, thoughts are appreciated here.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:10 pm

What size engine?
Matt B

TomB

Post by TomB » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:43 pm

Carl,

My fuel tank is from https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/motor ... -29-gallon (Not much of a return policy, so be sure its what you want.) They have all sorts of odd sizes and shapes, maybe one of those would work for you. I sketched five or six and found an odd ball that worked for me.

Tom

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:51 am

The motor will be an Evinrude 115 , possibly a 150. From what I have researched so far the 3 gallons per hour is an average. WOT is obviously much higher consumption. Something like 10 GPH. But I see myself cruising more than zooming.

I looked at Great Lake skipper's site as well as Moeller and another called Ocean Link. The real challenge for me is trying to find something that will hide in the side bench seat. The 19 gallon I found will fit, but I am not sure if it's big enough.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:05 am

:roll: Is that moeller tank one of those 19 gal side tanks? Maybe you could get a port and starboard setup.I thought of those for "Chug" but my frames were to close to fit. :D Jamestown site has the two tanks.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:26 am

Tim,
The tanks are the rectangular short height . Approx 47" long by 11 " high by 11" wide if I recall correctly. The taller 19 gallons you mentioned are too tall for my applications. If I was to use 2 of the 19 gallons as you mentioned, then I need to figure out dual tanking plumbing which I may do if it becomes necessary for a larger tank.

I am also exploring different interior options that would allow for a lager tank on the port side. One of the reasons I am trying to limit to the port side only is to offset the weight of the helm and myself . There's also less room available so a second tank would have to be shorter in length.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:48 am

Carl: Sorry, I can't be much help on the fuel tanks. I'm sure you will figure it out though. I was researching bilge vents and blowers yesterday and came across your discussion on another forum about what you are planning. Have you come up with any thoughts or solutions?
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:25 am

Carl

I have a Yamaha 115 on the 24' Bartender. It will do about 34 mph. 2-22 gal. tanks. I've not run one tank completely down in one weekend.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:33 am

Sounds stupid but, The size of the tank depends how far you want to go. I have a 15 gallon in the Malahini, good for a day of water sports. However, running long distances at high speed can be a stretch for the tank.
Matt

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:34 am

Bill Edmundson wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:25 am
Carl

I have a Yamaha 115 on the 24' Bartender. It will do about 34 mph. 2-22 gal. tanks. I've not run one tank completely down in one weekend.

Bill
Thanks Bill, this is the kind of answer I was looking for. :D :D
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:36 am

Hercdrvr wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:33 am
Sounds stupid but, The size of the tank depends how far you want to go. I have a 15 gallon in the Malahini, good for a day of water sports. However, running long distances at high speed can be a stretch for the tank.
Matt
Thanks Matt, Lake Travis here in Austin is not a huge lake and we don't have long river runs. Long distance runs for me will likely be very rare. If it comes to that, I guess I would have to carry extra gas to get me to the nearest fill up point. But I think that for the average weekend, that 19 gallons may be enough.

However, I am still open to other comments on this subject
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:32 am

Sorry, Carl.The tank I installed in "Chug-A-Lug is a 20 gallon moeller tank-26 inches long,11.5 inches wide,19 inches tall.mounted for'ward of helm.Am planning on water tank on port side. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:46 pm

Carl,
19 gallons sounds about right for a 115 Hp 4 stroke on Lake Travis. 4 strokes are very efficient at cruise speeds. We’ve never met, but I have a hunch your not going to be a WOT wave bashing kind of of boater in your Vera Cruise.
Matt B

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:48 am

Hercdrvr wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:46 pm
Carl,
19 gallons sounds about right for a 115 Hp 4 stroke on Lake Travis. 4 strokes are very efficient at cruise speeds. We’ve never met, but I have a hunch your not going to be a WOT wave bashing kind of of boater in your Vera Cruise.
Matt B
Matt, this is what I am thinking as well. It's actually a two stroke, but is supposed to get the mileage I mentioned earlier. Depending on how I design my interior, I may be able to go up to 22 gallons so I'll have more information after I start mocking up things.

IN other things, I am starting on the process of making the roof beams. More accurately, I am working on the laminating jig. From what I have read, there is no accurate way to allow for spring back of curved laminations but that using more laminations and thinner ones minimizes the spring back. I'll do the first one and see how it goes. If it's too much I'll adjust. The plan is to use blocks screwed into a flat surface to set the curves and then wrap the laminations around them and hold in place with clamps.

It'll be another week before I can start on making them because I have not bought the lumber yet, but I am off from work the week following July 4th, so hoping to make some good progress on these.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:16 am

2 stroke huh? Let me share my experience with a 90hp Yamaha 2 stroke and fuel economy.....it’s a gas sucking machine at WOT and pulling it back to 4000 rpm doesn’t help much. Not bad mouthing my 2 smoker, it’s a screaming little engine and runs like a champ but she is thirsty. In the big scheme of boating costs, the extra $50 a year in oil and extra gas a 2 stroke cost me isn’t much.
Matt B

Return to “Power Boats”