Roberta's Torpedo

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Steve S

Re: Roberta's Torpedo

Post by Steve S » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:22 am

You don't do good work, Roberta, you do great work. WOW!
Steve S
Squirt build

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:26 pm

:D :D :D :D

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Kodyboat88

Post by Kodyboat88 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:55 am

Hello Roberta,

I just wanted to say I've been wanting to build a boat for quite some time now, and as I read through this entire monster of a thread and seeing all the processes and detail you put into your torpedo I'm very impressed. At first when I clicked the thread an saw the initial design I didnt think it would turn out as good as you masterfully proved me wrong. I tip my hat and want to thank you for all the details you've explained along the way. Truly an inspiration to future boat builders. That includes me as I decide on what boat style I want to make. Any tips you mind giving someone who is first starting out that you've learned during your boat builds?

Regards,
Kody

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:38 am

Hi Kody,

Welcome to the Forum. What ever design you decide on, there will be many willing to offer help and advice. Post pictures and ask away.

The Torpedo is similar in many ways to any of the larger cold molded boats. It was challenging being the first as I had no idea of what it would look like and no examples to follow. The hull is very much like any other inboard in Glen's catalog. The difference is where the shear line changes to form the "boat tail" shape. I had the benefit of being able to consult Glen and Gayle on some of the changes I incorporated, like the large hatch. Mostly I followed Glen's design and the resulting shape is what Glen had in mind.

Gayle put together a lot of the construction in the revised plans and the book she put together about my build. As with any other boat, once the hull is completed, it becomes the canvas for the builder to create their own boat.

Glen L has several books about building with plywood and inboard engine installation that are very helpful. The Forum is invaluable. Having an adequately sized space is necessary and heated is a plus if you live in colder climates. A good saber saw, power driver, belt sander, drill press, hand power planer, and a good band saw, especially if you want to resaw wood. Look over any detailed build and check out the types of tools used. There are many and many ways to accomplish the same tasks. Buy as many good tools as you can afford. Borrow or rent what you can't afford and look for sales, especially things like clamps.

Hope this helps you get started,

Roberta :D :D :D

Kodyboat88

Post by Kodyboat88 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:28 pm

Plenty of help, I'll definatly look into some of the tooling. I have some basics such as jig saw, skills saw and a good power portable drill. Only things I need so far is if I can find a good priced one, band saw, belt sander, and a power planer. Also plenty of clamps lol as everyone i see on here says you can never have enough. I'll be starting my own thread tonight with the details I've got planned in my head. Thank you very much and I do hope to glean as much info along the way from you and many other amazing builders on this forum.

Regards,
Kody

HurricaneDR

Post by HurricaneDR » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:46 pm

Roberta wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:05 am
Thanks, Proto!! Yes, the plans and instructions have been corrected. Changes I made that were necessary to build the boat were forwarded to Gayle and Glen and they have since incorporated them into the design and have republished the plans. There is also an instruction book that can be purchased to additionally help in construction. It basically organizes the forum thread I made during construction and removes much of the chatter and commentary, making the thread easier to follow.

The boat is very much fun and is a real crowd pleaser wherever we show it. If you decide to build it, I recommend the book Gayle put together along with Building with Plywood and Inboard Engine Installation. They are very helpful references. Feel free to ask any questions regarding the construction of this boat.

All the best,

Roberta :D
I am starting the planning phase of a torpedo now and will hopefully start construction this fall or spring. Can’t wait start the build

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:01 am

Sounds Great!! I can't wait to see another Torpedo.

Where are you located?

Roberta :D :D :D :D

HurricaneDR

Post by HurricaneDR » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:44 pm

Southern Indiana but I work up in Madison allot, home office is there

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:09 am

I assume you mean Madison, WI? Feel free to give me a PM and you are welcome to stop by to look at my Torpedo on your way through the area.

Roberta :D :D

HurricaneDR

Post by HurricaneDR » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:24 pm

I will do that for sure

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:26 pm

After 5 boating seasons, it's time to give the Glen L some attention and maintenance. Fuel filters, oil and filter, water pump impeller were number one. And flushed out the seawater side of the cooling system. Next year I will be changing the engine side coolant. I will also be repacking the rudder port and prop shaft.

With the hatch removed for engine and other maintenance, I decided to replace the cracked hood scoop. It was always vulnerable to damage as it was built with thinner leftover wood. The new version will be sturdy enough to be able to walk on, making it easier to climb on the aft portions of the boat.

Over the past week I cleaned and repacked wheel bearings and replaced all the brake components, including the backing plates. I also rotated the tires and left the whole rig on jack stands to keep the tires round.

I will be buffing the decking and refreshing the caulk seams. And giving her a proper cleaning and touch up.

Got a chance to use the Laguna 14 SUV today to rip and resaw some 4/4 African Mahogany for the new hood scoop. The 1" Resaw King Blade is awesome with 3 hp. Here's some pictures of work in progress. I will be using 6mm Okoume plywood substrate and 3/8" mahogany on top. That will be as strong as the rest of the decking.

Roberta :D
Attachments
20191031_145934.jpg
20191031_145947.jpg
20191031_150131.jpg

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:04 pm

Wow, five seasons already!!

I am sure the new cowling will be just as beautiful as the old one was.

It's funny, I've spent so long on building my boat and really haven't thought too much on what comes after it's done and several seasons have passed. I have planned for maintenance access, just haven't given a lot of thought to the future. I guess it's because my boat is never going to wear out! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:02 am

The sun gets to the best of finishes. Boat will look nice all freshened up for next spring.
Matt B

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:01 pm

:D Looking good,Roberta.Have you added on to the trophy room yet? :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Return to “Power Boats”