Considering the purchase of a Zip

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Sammy

Considering the purchase of a Zip

Post by Sammy »

I'm considering the purchase of a Zip. I've confined myself to antique aluminum boats because I live in the the north east and don't have covered storage. I keep the snow and rain out of my aluminum boats with a primitive tent arrangement made out of plastic. It wouldn't matter if I didn't because there isn't much that can damage aluminum. It is close to indestructible. Can a boat like a Zip survive permanent outdoor storage? I ordered a car port but had to cancel because my wife decided it was ugly. I love the look of wood boats but have never owned because I'm concerned about the development of rot.

vupilot

Re: Considering the purchase of a Zip

Post by vupilot »

Stored in an attached garage when not in use these boats can go 10-15 years without any maintenance of the wood. Stored outdoors under one of those enclosed tents in a shady area or a carport with no sun reaching it and a good cover would not be terrible. Stored with just covers and tarps beside the house where the sun beats on the tarp all day and I feel you are asking for headaches. Temperature swings under the cover can have about as much effect as the elements. It can also depend on how the boat is finished, is it all painted or is it mostly varnished. Is the deck two different types of wood inlayed or is it one type with caulked seams, or is it a plywood deck, is it near the humid coast of the gulf or inland in the midwest. Lots of factors can effect how long it will hold up. Do the best you can and enjoy it!

Sammy

Re: Considering the purchase of a Zip

Post by Sammy »

There is an open area under my deck that is quite spacious (about 9 feet high) but about a foot and a half of bow would protrude. Even with some of the bow exposed, the decking would mean I wouldn't have to be concerned with snow load. My thinking is to use a boat covering system that would consist of a pair of vertical supports placed in each cockpit over which I would lay a tarp of breathable material. The deck flooring isn't solid but it still provides protection. I would add vents through the canvas at the top of the vertical supports. If that would be sufficient, I would give serious consideration to buying the boat. The idea of buying a beautiful boat and having it rot away because I didn't provide it with proper storage troubles me. That is why I have confined myself to aluminum boats.

Return to “Miscellaneous”