Neel's Palm Beach 22 build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

hoodman

Re: Neel's Palm Beach 22 build

Post by hoodman »

That's too bad Neel. I know that was a tough decision. Someone is getting an awesome deal on that hull though!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

I am soooo kicking myself for not adding that 3rd garage bay when we built our home! My kids are almost out of the house and I could use a new project. My wife didn't say "absolutely not" last night at dinner, but she is not going to park outside in the Michigan winters. Love only goes so far! :D

I hope you are able to find some way to move your build to Florida and continue it. Having scoured and admired your Gentry build, no one should have any reservations on picking up this build.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Thanks Jim.... My wife's car has not been in the garage in years. And believe me, I have heard about that many, many times. We have two garage bays as well. Scooter is in one and the PB is in the other. I also occasionally hear about the red dust that coats every piece of furniture in the house. This boatbuilding thing is a sickness and they have to understand that !! Take Care

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

So after having a wonderful time at G-13, I have decided to restart my PB 22 build. I love this hobby so much and have met so many great people along the way that, after rethinking things, I need to finish this project. We may have to postpone downsizing our house for a while, but having a finished mahogany to take to shows and Glen-L Gatherings will be my goal for now. So today I started to glue more pieces on the sides of the hull. The bottom has two layers of 6mm Okoume and the sides and transom will have two layers as well. I have enough plywood to finish the sides, transom, and plank the bottom about 2/3 of the way toward the bow. Then it will be ready for mahogany planking. My plastic boat will be headed to Florida in a week or so, never to be seen at another G. Thanks to everyone who made it to G-13 for making it another memorable event.... Neel
Attachments
20190922_103402.jpg
20190922_103336.jpg

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Great news, glad to hear it.
Matt B

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Happy to hear Neel. I missed the REAL Scooter. :lol: :lol:
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

TomB

Post by TomB »

Good that you came to your senses Neel.

Imagining not following your build or you following your wife around the downsized house saying "What should I do now?" was almost too much to bare. :D :D

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

kens

Post by kens »

Thats great news Neel,
Do you think it might be at G-14, by chance?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.... I really don't think it will be ready for G-14 Ken. Possibly G-15. My goal is to finish it before Carl finishes his Vera Cruise. Maybe Carl and I will both be taking our recently completed boats to G-15.

CarlM

Post by CarlM »

That's wonderful news Neel!! I was unable to attend the gathering due to me having to fly to Connecticut for work. Was John able to attend with his Gentry? I would live to see some pictures if anyone took some.

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Neel, glad you are continuing the Palm Beach. A lot more fun than moving to Florida and making canes. That is going to be one special boat.

Carlm, sadly there were no Gentry's at the G this year.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

CarlM

Post by CarlM »

Thanks for the info Matt. Seems like someone could have brought their Gentry :wink: :wink:

Ibrew2be

Post by Ibrew2be »

Neel, this is the best news I've heard all month. So glad you'll be back at it with your build.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched.

Currently building Ken Bassett's Rascal

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

I missed the fact you stopped the PB22 build Neel but glad to hear that it is back on! And Thank You for all that you do for the Glen-L Gathering and this community. Missed seeing you a Craig and everyone else this year.

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Neel,

Good to see you're back on the PB22. Have greatly enjoyed following your progress... this project is definitely destined to end up as world class eye candy!

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

Return to “Power Boats”