OKOUME PLYWOOD VS MARINE GRADE PLYWOOD

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Shawn K

OKOUME PLYWOOD VS MARINE GRADE PLYWOOD

Post by Shawn K »

In building my stem and breasthook as well as the transom how imperative is it that I use the okoume plywood 1088 grade because I have seen a marine grade plywood that they sell at Menards? Now I know that theres going to be a difference in appearance between the two woods, but how much of a difference and are these areas even going to be seen once the boat is completed? I would think they would be the same as far as strength and longevity goes. looking at the transom on the barrelback it seems as though the plywood that is used won't even be seen that it lays between several layers towards the middle of the transom. Now my concern isn't based on price, my problem is finding a way to purchase a few pieces of okoume plywood and get it to my home, where I need it, the closest place to me that sells it, is a good 1 1/2 hrs. from me and I have no access to a pick up truck or vehicle to pick it up in. unfortunately I now have a small sub compact car that I can tie lumber to the top and drag it home when its only a short journey, but going an 1 1/2 how. with expensive sheets of plywood on top of a Prius doesn't sound like a wise decision. I could have it delivered if I purchased a large amount of the wood, but im neither ready for that right yet.

JimmY

Re: OKOUME PLYWOOD VS MARINE GRADE PLYWOOD

Post by JimmY »

If it is really "marine" grade plywood, there should be no problem using it for the stem and transom. It should have no voids and exterior grade glue. The main reason for using marine grade plywood is the no voids when bending it.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D Now if you had the boat trailer for the boat you're building,you could use that.might be handy to have when you flip hull.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

TomB

Post by TomB »

"Marine" and 1088 are not the same. The underlying standard used for the Menard's marine plywood is a structural standard. The glue is used for marine applications. The number of plys per thickness is probably different which would be significant when bending a panel. You already mention the appearance difference between the fir at Menard's and the Okoume.

All that said, it is probably ok to use.

Cold molding and a lot more plywood is just around the corner.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

My advice is to use Okoume for everything. It is great to work with and has been proven to hold up in the marine environment. I would buy a big load of it to make the delivery expense worthwhile and then figure a way to store the sheets you don't need right away. There must be a way !!

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

I agree with Neel. The few areas where cheaper wood is okay, aren't worth the savings. If you are building a larger boat and investing a lot of time and energy, spend the extra money to protect your investment. Ordering all the wood at once covers shipping cost.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Oyster

Post by Oyster »

If you are talking about doing your stem and transom and surely going to paint it, I would personally use Meranti 1088 plywood. Its a bit more rigid and depending on where the Okoume originated from, more weather resistant unless you glass the transom in particular. Is it possible to ask about the origins of the Okoume from the dealer?

I also like to do my inner cores of my transom with AB Fir plywood. You can check with a local cabinet shop and see if they buy any for their projects. If so maybe they can get some smaller amounts of sheets put on their order locally. Then just use the higher end faces of the okoume or meranti for skins. I use 3mm or even 4mm after I glue up my inner layers. The fir is also great for the inner stems and in most cases less expensive.

galamb

Post by galamb »

You asked about the stem, breasthook and transom in particular.

On my 26 footer and my 16 footer both of those got built with BB-Marine because they are straight and laminated so didn't figure the cost of going with 1088 Okoume would provide any advantage. Yes, similar thickness marine has less plies than 1088, but the stem, breasthook and transom has no bends and is made up of laminations.

I did use 1088 Okoume (Gaboon) for the sides/bottom panels and (skinned over) the visible wood on the transom with a piece of 3mm 1088 purely for asthetics.
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

acflynn

Post by acflynn »

Building a 18' Mist Miss - I'm using A/A or A/B Douglas Fir marine plywood in framing - transom, stem, breasthook, gussets. It's specified in the plans as acceptable for framing, and it's the only marine plywood in the state that I could find thinner than 1/2". I'll be ordering Okume marine ply and having it delivered from out-of-state when I get to that stage. As mentioned above by others, I'm planning to order all I need plus a few extra sheets as "bad day insurance" for the one [large] delivery fee.
Slowly building a Mist Miss in the Arizona desert

kens

Post by kens »

Here is a link to the Menards PS1-09 (marine) spec
https://apawood-europe.org/wp-content/u ... emarks.pdf

Basically it says that (page 22) it is allowed as much as 1/8" gaps in the core layers.
Core gaps is the single biggest factor in marine vs other grades specs

The 1088 grades (I believe) state 0.00 gaps, someone correct me if I am wrong

Here is a copy of APA Marine grade basic specs, this also states the 1/8" gap in cores:
http://www.pacificwoodlaminates.com/img ... neSPEC.pdf

If you want to use the Menards panels, then I would look at the edges to inspect for any gaps in the cores, if it is solid, then go with it
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

BS1088 has 0 gaps and always an odd number of layers.

With marine grade, rough cut the parts. The fill any gaps with slightly thickened epoxy. It will by fine for flat parts or slightly curved part like the deck.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Oyster

Post by Oyster »

The AB Fir plywood that we use is considered marine plywood and has no voids. Most of the AB Fir plywood has solid face on one side and some footballs on the face on the other side. So far its always consistent and good quality. Also in the past outlets that sells Georgia Pacific plywood provides AB Fir even though sometimes they do not stock it but can get in an order if its from a local lumberyard. Roseburg is another favorite brand name that's been sold for a lot of years.

https://www.capitolcitylumber.com/produ ... e-plywood/
Marine grade unfinished AB Fir plywood. Marine grade plywood has solid plys with no voids and a pholic exterior glue. This plywood is not treated.

TomB

Post by TomB »

Sorry, but we are starting to mix our vegetables.

Shawn wrote about the marine ply at Menards.

The stuff at Menards is spec'd to a structural standard with a marine glue. https://hw.menardc.com/main/items/media ... -DS918.pdf It is supposed to meet this APA standard https://apawood-europe.org/wp-content/u ... emarks.pdf. Scroll down to page 17 to see the section on cross band gaps. An 1/8" cross band gap may not hurt anything if you can see it and repair to keep water out. An 1/8" gap used to hold a screw...not so good.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

Oyster

Post by Oyster »

TomB wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:35 pm
Sorry, but we are starting to mix our vegetables.

Shawn wrote about the marine ply at Menards.

The stuff at Menards is spec'd to a structural standard with a marine glue. https://hw.menardc.com/main/items/media ... -DS918.pdf It is supposed to meet this APA standard https://apawood-europe.org/wp-content/u ... emarks.pdf. Scroll down to page 17 to see the section on cross band gaps. An 1/8" cross band gap may not hurt anything if you can see it and repair to keep water out. An 1/8" gap used to hold a screw...not so good.

Tom
Sometimes there are better options for certain jobs, of course from ones personal experience. But access was one of the issues that he brought up beside the type of wood and it being a long distance with nothing to haul it back home. . So in all fairness I think others offered up some other ideas for consideration.

And yes there are numerous grades of what is considered Okoume , with several manufacturer and countries of origin too. There are some down sides in that its soft and has some issues with dampness attacking the surface in a similar manner as fir checks, even with sealer on it. Up in rope lockers in particular that area is prong to gathering moisture too. Just my observation and experiences...

Oyster

Post by Oyster »

This is the go to plywood brand that the high end boat builders uses. Its sold by several vendors.
But this outlet describes it best. The cores are the key, which can set other purveyors of the 1088 brand apart. Unfortunately the 1088 stamp does not carry as much weight these days. So you do see outlets speaking about small voids as standard operating procedure.
https://www.merrittsupply.com/product/b ... e-plywood/
Description

BRUYNZEEL OKOUME PLYWOOD – Our Bruynzeel Okoume Gaboon (Aucoumea klaineana) plywood is rated as BS 1088 and is the best product to be used for boat building and extreme environments. Okoume Gaboon is an African species that is very similar to Mahogany that has a very consistent appearance with a tight grain and is very light. Of course it is also highly weather resistant. When used as a plywood that is treated with WBP phenolic glue and laminated with a 100% Okoume Gaboon core, it is very durable, weighs little, and finishes like glass. This is the product to choose for decking and exterior surfaces that need to be veneered with an attractive wood, painted, fiberglassed, or epoxied. Our Bruynzeel plywood is of a very high quality and is sought after by the best boat builders in the world. Our Bruynzeel Okoume is rated both as BS 1088 and is Lloyd’s Registered (the highest standard for marine grade products). Sold by the 4′ x 8′ (32 sq.ft.) sheet.

Return to “Wood and Plywood”