Travels and Adventures of "Curt's Dream" a True Grit design-The Great Loop

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Oyster

Re: Travels and Adventures of "Curt's Dream" a True Grit design-The Great Loop

Post by Oyster » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:18 pm

What speed and fuel burn do you get on your normal cruising rpm with the 150?? Do you happen to have the rigged weight of your boat?

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:54 am

Are you using a power prop on your 150 (less pitch)? fuel might suffer somewhat but might raise rpm's and actually go faster.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:21 pm

Yes, I check active captain. Some of the reviews are getting a little old but still good info.

The boat with full fuel and water is nearly 12000 lbs. I had hoped to be under 10000. Owe well but we are comfortable. I generally don't add any more than 50 gallons of water as we are staying most nights at Marina.

I like to run at 2100 rpm making 7 mph burning 1.7 gph. The prop is 15.5 X 10 pitch SS. I had to have this special made in this low of a pitch. The first prop that I used when the motor was new was a 15.5 X 11 aluminum that I had repitched to a 9 with the cup removed. This gave me about 700 more rpms at WOT but lowered my top speed by 2 mph. I think too much prop slip. Bottom line, I just need a few more ponies back there. I will live with what I have.

Curt

kens

Post by kens » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:27 pm

12,000lbs @ 1.7gph is pretty good.
at your weight and speed you into the bigger prop diameter/gear ratio area. can't very well get there with a outboard.
But, Suzuki offers the deepest gear & biggest prop of any outboard I know of.
they have one with a 2.29 gear and 16 dia prop
Our local Sea Tow operator swears by the Suzuki over all the others.

...BTW. you mentioned a Bahama crossing...once you make the crossing, and, your retired, you can easily go island hopping and make your way down to Antiqua, Turks, Caicos islands....Did you bring your passport???? :D :lol:
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:39 am

I agree about the Suzuki engines. Personally I have been using them since they came out with the four strokes. I still have a 40 hp year 2000 that's still going. Just flush them out really good and service them accordingly .

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:02 pm

We left the Wharf marina in Orange Beach Alabama on Nov 29th heading East along the panhandle of Florida with a destination of Pensacola.
IMG_5867.JPG
Shortly after entering Florida, sand dunes were along the waterway.
sand dunes
sand dunes
Before reaching Pensacola, some one had a bad day of boating.
sunken wooden boat
sunken wooden boat
con't

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:09 pm

Bad Day Indeed! I hope he is a local.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:36 pm

We stopped in Pensacola at Palafox marina near the downtown. We walked around the downtown and visited the historic St. Michael's cemetery.One of the early residents of Pensacola was a lumber baron Daniel Sullivan whose monument is the largest in the cemetery.
Sullivan monument
Sullivan monument
Continuing on Eastward, we travel through several large bays where the waves were kicking up rocking us badly. I had to hand steer into the waves with several breaking over the bow. We reached Apalachicola on Dec. 3rd. and passed thru the open Apalachicola Northern Railroad antique swing bridge.
IMG_5872.JPG
Apalachicola is a town with many older building with gift shops so Noreen had lots a shopping to do. She even found something for the boat if I can figure out how to attach it to the boat.
mermaid
mermaid
con't

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:50 pm

Before heading back to the boat for the evening, Noreen had to check out one last store.
IMG_5874.JPG
The inside of the store had an antique tin ceiling that was interesting.
tin ceiling in store
tin ceiling in store
We only stayed one night before moving on to Carrabelle. Upon arriving a C-Quarters marina in Carrabelle, I fueled up the boat to prepare for crossing the Gulf.
fueling boat from high dock
fueling boat from high dock
con't

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:26 pm

The winds were predicted to be 10-15 mph with waves 1-2 feet for the next 3 days so we took off early the next morning Dec 5th for Steinhatchee. We would be over 50 miles off shore and out of sight of land for most all of the day.
leaving Carrabelle at sunrise
leaving Carrabelle at sunrise
We were getting some spray on the windshield and moderate rocking but the auto pilot was able to handle the steering. As the day progressed the rocking became less with no more spray on the windshield. We arrived at dusk in Steinhatchee where we docked at boat launch dock. We were up the next morning before dawn following our tracks on the chart plotter out the river and long channel back to the Gulf of Mexico.The water was like glass so we had a very smooth day going to Crystal River. The only thing to worry about was avoiding the occasional crab pot float. Once again we left early from Crystal River heading to Tarpon Springs. There was a ten mile channel from the Gulf into the town of Crystal River so boats we lined up leaving town in the morning.
Crystal River channel
Crystal River channel
We turned South about 10 miles off shore in about 8 foot of water heading to Tarpon Springs. The water had only a slight roll with a little chop that flattened out as we headed South. We got into the city marina in downtown Tarpon Springs at 3:30 having crossed the Gulf of Mexico safely with no portage required. Tarpon Springs is a Greek community that was founded around sponge diving. There are several Greek bakeries and restaurants close to where we are docked so we hit the bakery.
bakery goodies
bakery goodies
con't

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:34 pm

The city was having a Christmas tree lighting ceremony that featured live music. I can't believe we are on the boat in Florida. Life is good with 75+ degree temperatures. We plan on staying in Tarpon Springs for a few days before moving on further South.
IMG_20191208_180649.jpg
Curt

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:51 pm

What an adventure! Thank you for keeping us updated on your travels.
Matt B

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:13 am

If your wife insists on a mermaid,maybe one of these would make her happy instead of the figurehead
IMG_0759[1].JPG
a little more useful too. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:01 am

Very interesting Curt. I always have to open goggle maps to follow your progress. Sometimes the distance you've traveled that day amazes me.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

Barrett

Post by Barrett » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:07 am

One day I want to do the Great Loop, but until then, I will follow along with you. :D :D :D :D

Return to “Miscellaneous”