Barrelback-20 Louisville Kentucky

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

monitor

Re: Barrelback-20 Louisville Kentucky

Post by monitor »

Great!
This 454 might be a good start...I'll throw in the boat and trailer!
Jim Kinsella

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

CarlM wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:47 am
Yeah I suck at doing updates. I will take some photos this weekend and do an update. I have all the plywood on and just starting to layout how i want the mahogany to look. I still need to figure out where I want to get the engine from. I have been procrastinating. 🥴
It happens to all of us. At some point, you just find it difficult to go out there and work on it, especially if it's either a long term chore or dare I say it "Sanding".

I've found what really helps me to keep motivated is to watch You Tube videos of other builders. Every time I watch one of these, I'm heading outside shortly after, regardless of how tired I am or how late it is in the evening.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

monitor

Post by monitor »

Hi all. I am glassing the bottom with Poxy-shield and it's looking ok but I'm having problems with the foam paint roller putting fine bubbles in the epoxy when applying. (See close-up) They are leaving streaks and cloudy areas. When applied with a brush, no bubbles.
Anyone have a solution?
Thanks much!
Attachments
20200105_111633.jpg
20200105_112506_Burst01.jpg
Jim Kinsella

monitor

Post by monitor »

By the way, I am using glen-l's thin foam rollers for epoxy.
Jim Kinsella

kens

Post by kens »

I have trouble with rollers putting in air bubbles.
I think rollers are the worst, followed by brushes, then bondo spreaders.
For wide areas like you have there, I prefer the plastic bondo spreaders, but even then, if you go too fast, or move around too much resin at one spot, you can get that foamy air in it.
....use plastic spreaders,,,and go slower

OH, did you encapsulate the wood before applying the cloth? glassing over bare wood is trouble for me, I always encapsulate the wood with clear resin first, then apply the cloth dry, and wet it out with plastic spreaders
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

I had bubbles when I applied the epoxy with a foam roller. I "tipped" them with a foam brush. Only took a few minutes to knock them down.

I assume you are painting the bottom? If so, the cloudiness should not be an issue.

Mick

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I agree with Ken's assessment. Pre-coating the plywood and letting it cure, then sand before applying the fiberglass cloth. Then use thin film rollers for wetting out the cloth. Subsequent fill coats can be also be applied with rollers, but it is necessary to tip as you go. Don't wait until you've covered the entire surface (or even a large surface) before tipping as the tipping will only make it worse.

Regardless, epoxy is only going to get so flat as it does not work the same as paint. TomB (Tahoe build) has had some success with scraping the epoxy after cure and then over coating with (I believe) clear coat, however on the bottom, the final finish will very much depend upon if you are keeping the boat in the water or on a trailer. If you are painting, then surface prep of the final epoxy coat using primer will get you close.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

TomB

Post by TomB »

+ one for Ken's comment on squeegees. On horizontal-ish surfaces I pour the epoxy straight from the mix cup and then spread it around with a squeegee held at a low angle to push into the cloth while gliding over it so as not to push the cloth around. Care has to be taken when pouring and spreading, the cloth will float on a big puddle.

Tom

monitor

Post by monitor »

Thanks everyone! Sounds like squeegee's on horrizontal surfaces.
Next concern is the virtical sides. I plan to encapsulate but no glass. I'm thinking I will have to brush that on?
BTW, to clarify, the bubbles are not from gassing off, in this case. The roller itself is causing them as Ken said.
Jim Kinsella

TomB

Post by TomB »

Jim,

There are lots of foam rollers. I"ve managed to find wide range of quality. :lol: :lol:

Worst - FH yellow rollers, they quickly load up, foam and dissolve, but they are cheap.

Best - Epiphane white rollers, slower to load up and dissolve, and much less foam/orange peel, but they are $4 each. One source https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/u ... pid=336322

I have a Menards close by that sells a yellow roller which is slightly better than the FH version, still too many bubbles. They also sell fine texture white rollers ($1 each) that are better, but still not Epiphanes.

For varnish, I use the Epiphane rollers and tip. For epoxy, I use the fine white rollers and tip. I had the best luck, rolling up and down the sides of the hull and then tipping with the grain. Runs, drips, curtains are words to describe my results when I got a little thick, so just go thin and use a light hand on the roller. Pressing down causes bubbles.

Good luck,

Tom

monitor

Post by monitor »

Tom. Have you tried glen-l's wooster tiz yellow rollers?
Not familiar with FH?
Does tipping help get rid of the really fine bubbles, almost like blushing, but not on the surface?
I really appreciate the advice!
Jim Kinsella

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

I read somewhere that working a blow torch over the bubbles gets rid of them. I used a heat gun instead. It works.
Tipping gets rid of most of them.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

TomB

Post by TomB »

Jim,

Sorry for the short hand, FH ---> Harbor Freight.

I haven't try the Wooster TIZ. I've been using the 4" "hot dog" rollers.

"Bubbles" isn't descriptive enough. I get bubbles, BB sized, that usually pop and leave an orange peel texture. If I roll too hard, compressing the roller and squeezing epoxy out the ends of the hot dog roller, I get a white/opaque fluid. I think those are micro-bubbles.

Tipping is lightly brushing to knock down the texture (orange peel, bubbles, roller edge tracks). The roller is for spreading an even layer and the brush is for flattening.

I haven't had much luck working with the white/opaque stuff. Sometimes I can get it to behave by using the roller to smear it (not roll it) in a circular motion. If that doesn't work, use a squeegee to pick it up and scrape it into a cup.

Tom

monitor

Post by monitor »

There you go! White opaque fluid, micro bubbles...perfect description! Hard to deal with once you have it. So, I need to keep them from forming. I'll try rolling an even layer on a small area and brushing any white stuff away. If that doesn't work I will brush it all on since brushing it did not cause the problem on any of my samples.
Thanks so much you guys.
Jim Kinsella

kens

Post by kens »

I even tried the expensive rollers from West System, I not impressed even by the roller from the so-called professionals!!
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Return to “Hankinson designs”