Head Placement

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

curtgard

Re: Head Placement

Post by curtgard »

Baron
Ray built his True Grit with a composting head and was a mentor when I was building my True Grit. His is 27' while mine is 30' so we both have a lot more room to work with than what you are looking at building. Ray has his head in a smaller space with a shower located in a separate space. No matter what system you decide to install, sitting down for everyone is probably a better thing in case a wave comes and rocks the boat.

Curt

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Baron

Those are the float switches for the pumps. I can also switch them from the helm. The large hose is the bilge blower. The fuel tanks and batteries are also down there. Also room down there for my Yeti Cooler. Most of the time the a cooler sits on the platform over the head.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Baron

Post by Baron »

You folks are so fortunate realizing you had this love of building early enough in life to get some builds under your belts. I've been dancing around the perimeter and never really committed to a substantial boat.....just little things.
Anyway I drew a close to scale version of what I had in mind and now I know more accurately why Designers rarely put a head on a small boat. The thought was to put it immediately behind the helm so the helmsman has very little obstructed view. I forgot that the Little Hunks floor is only 4.5' wide. By the time I was done playing I only had 4' od deck left. Furthermore that much cabin on a little bitty Dory is not very attractive.
If I can't figure out a better solution then I have to move to a longer and wider model. I really wanted a smaller 19-21' boat but I may have mis-judged this.
here is the rough draft:
Attachments
Doc - Feb 10 2020 - 3-54 PM.jpg

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Baron

I had to turn the head at an angle to have a little leg room.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Baron

Post by Baron »

I believe it but it does look like nice and neat install. I can no longer live without these devices.

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

I had a homemade composting toilet installed in "Chug" made from square kittykat litter bucket.But read later that Canada requires a holding tank(not being able to dump without pumpout)Cat litter would be purrfect as it works for stinkykat stuff.Just buy bucket of cat litter,dump into ziplock bags,use bucket and cover with cat litter,bucket full discard or dump out and get new bucket of cat litter.I've tried whizzing in coffee cans with wood pellets when I'm working on boat and noticed no odor after a few days.Just don't fill with pellets as they expand quite a bit :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Baron

Post by Baron »

Chugalug, you've been out in the woods tooooo long. Its time to come home now. Leave your cat litter out there though, lol, lol.
I like the theory of Compost toilet and suspected that Canada wouldn't like them much. My wife on the other hand would not do well with Cat Litter and coffee cans......I barely believe I could get her to consider the slick looking Nature's Head product but I'd try. I am now thinking to go the product below with the built in 9 gallon tank. It has a small footprint and would last several days longer than my Porta-Potti. Some time back one of the famous 80's authors (probably Parker or Bolger but not sure) wrote that they felt a built in tanks, heavily glassed right into the build, would work well as composting toilets and should be fitted with a 3" vent. I wish I could find that article for I may be mixing it up a bit.
Attachments
IMG_1072[1].jpg
IMG_1072[1].jpg (19 KiB) Viewed 3053 times

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D I got mine from Jamestown distributors.Was 100 bucks cheaper than listed.Has vent hook-up as well as hook-up for water system.I'm going to try to build thin water tank from ply and epoxy for gravity feed water. :D

Baron

Post by Baron »

Chugalug,
Have you used this toilet yet?
Does it have a clean-out vent to the gunnels?

Nice Boat. I've often admired aspects of the Bo-Jest Design.

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

I haven't used yet.There is a 1-1/2 inch fitting that hooks up to hose that needs to be glued in, but after reading a sailboat site that used all pvc pipe,I'm going with that.My plumbing fitting threads may not match up but this spring,I'm going to build a pumpout tank hooked up to pump(not sure if I'll use a manual pump or macerator pump.the only elbow on toilet tank is a 45 glued to tank and pipe is run at a 45 degree out througth the pilothouse side.We got snow out now and -35 wind chill so don't think I'll do much boating for awhile :lol:

Return to “Miscellaneous”