Working on starting a jet driven Squirt

About using jet ski motors to power small boats

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

wingridr

Working on starting a jet driven Squirt

Post by wingridr »

Hey All,

I am slowly gathering info on building a jet drive Squirt. My BIL is Otter, who is busy building his Ski Bass, and I have the plans to build a Monte Carlo...have the engine for that one, but no room (yet) to build it. Which then brings up the Squirt. I had gotten Otter the plans to build one for the niece and nephew, but with him starting his own build, he really doesn't have the room for another build. He wanted to do a traditional outboard, but I thought a jet ski powered one would be more fun! I know I will have to extend the length a bit to accommodate the engine/pump.

So, I have been busy reading about the Jet Squirts, and it seems a twin cylinder engine is more beneficial, due to their size. Looking at used Ski's around my area, you typically find Kawasaki stand ups, Polaris from the mid 90's, and Sea doo's in the same vintage. I found a couple of different options, but not sold on any yet. One is a 94 Sea Doo GTX, which has a 650 twin in it, the other are part of a package deal...a two place trailer with a 97 Polaris SLT 700 twin, and a 95 ish SL 650 Triple. Both of them need a bit of work. The one benefit to that package is I could modify the trailer to be a trailer for the Squirt.

I have also found a 96 Polaris SL650 that is very cheap, and would fit my needs quite well. Seems perhaps my Squirt will have a triple....

If anyone is reading this, which route of a ski would you take?

Thanks for any help!
Have plans for a Monte Carlo build, and have a Mopar stroker engine that I am building for it.

Also now have Squirt plans, and an old Polaris PWC with a triple for the power plant.

Andy Garrett

Re: Working on starting a jet driven Squirt

Post by Andy Garrett »

2-stroke PWC engines are incredibly powerful for their size and weight.
It's all about having the room for it. If you can go triple, well..., that's pretty cool.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Sounds like a great project. One thing to do some research on is the power plant. Some lakes and states are getting fussy about two stroke engines. I don't know what the rules are, but I would look into it or consider a four stroke engine.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

wingridr

Post by wingridr »

Andy Garrett wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:37 pm
2-stroke PWC engines are incredibly powerful for their size and weight.
It's all about having the room for it. If you can go triple, well..., that's pretty cool.
I imagine they are very similar to snowmobiles, which I have a had my fair share of. It appears that a triple will work, and they sound a bit cooler than a twin. My current sled has a triple in it. :D

I know MN is looking at changing two stroke rules on the water, but to my understanding it won’t affect the engines before 2006.
Have plans for a Monte Carlo build, and have a Mopar stroker engine that I am building for it.

Also now have Squirt plans, and an old Polaris PWC with a triple for the power plant.

wingridr

Post by wingridr »

Well, I picked up the start of my Squirt project...
2B9A0A8A-0737-401F-800E-DC60D988850E.jpeg
B1F3E685-677A-4910-BCDD-DB1C4153F142.jpeg
It is a 1996 Polaris SL650. Cylinder 3 needs a rebuild, but it is all there, and was $150. Supposedly floats too!

cepjr

Post by cepjr »

I installed a polaris 750 in my dyno jet just waiting on some warmer weather to try it out! I ended up with some spare parts if you need anything that fits both the 650 and 750. Can't wait for some pics!!!
Attachments
IMG_20200416_183009.jpg
IMG_20200416_182838.jpg
IMG_20200416_183248.jpg

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

She is sweet!
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

wingridr

Post by wingridr »

That is a very nice looking boat! Appreciate the offer on parts, but I don’t have a clue what I will need for it yet.

We are in the midst of starting our house building project, so most other projects will have to hold on til I get to them.

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Hi Wingridr,

I wish you luck with your Jet Squirt. I looked at that option for a long time, but I saw nothing but problems with jetski engines. They are getting a lot of HP out of a very small package, and things are on the edge engineering wise. If you are doing a full rebuild on the engine, you should be ok,
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

wingridr

Post by wingridr »

Yes, pwc engines can be finicky, just like snowmobile engines. This build is really just to get a fun little toy out of the mix, and get me more familiar with the building process before I start the big boat project.

cepjr

Post by cepjr »

DrBryanJ wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:40 am
She is sweet!
We have too mak e sure it floats!!!!!!!!

cepjr

Post by cepjr »

DrBryanJ wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:40 am
She is sweet!
Thanks! Your work speaks for itself!!!!!! :D

Return to “Jet Ski Power”