Wood choice Aquacat

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Kgumby30

Wood choice Aquacat

Post by Kgumby30 »

Hello everyone. My name is Kevin, I live in New Jersey, and I am finally getting started on my boat. I've been lurking on this site for at least a decade, now I'm ready. I received my Aqua cat plans about a week ago. Made my cut list and am researching wood and plywood.
My question to the collective is wood choice. I am trying to keep expenditures as reasonable as possible while keeping the boat as light as possible. I can get White oak for $4.50 bf, African Mahogany for $5.40 bf, and Sapele for $5.70. The Oak being least expensive but heavier and harder to work with. Need help choosing. Also can get Hydrotek 1/4 plywood for $59. Never used it, and it is reasonably priced. Would like to have a natural finish on the cabin and transom. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Kevin

Kgumby30

Re: Wood choice Aquacat

Post by Kgumby30 »

Sorry. Wanted to get that posted I forgot to mention the Oak is rift/quarter sawn and the Mahoganies are ribbon cut.
Thank you
Kevin

TomB

Post by TomB »

Kevin,

Okoume for natural finish plywood would be my choice, it weighs less than hydrotek, splinters less, has a sheet finish similar to birch v. hydrotek finish similar to luan. On the other hand its almost double the price. I used white oak for frames on my boat, next time I will use mahogany.

my 2 cents,

Tom

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

There's a lot of variation on the same species of wood. If you can sift through lumber, look for lighter boards with straighter grain. Flat sawn wood is fine for most applications and can be resawn and laminated to add to stability. Look at African or Philippine mahogany for framing and longitudinal things like chines and sheers. Joubert Okoume will be the best plywood for strength and light weight. White oak and Merante tend to be heavy and Merante likes to splinter when cutting.

Good luck with the building. Have fun and post pictures.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

I’m in line with the other replies. Meranti plywood splitters too much and White Oak is such a beast to work with. Okoume is my choice for plywood and $5.40 for Mahogany is reasonable, that would be my choice for frames. Best of luck.
Matt B

Kgumby30

Post by Kgumby30 »

Thank you everyone for your reponses.
Do think I will go with the African. I was planning on using ribbon cut. But if flat would work that would be nice. Where would Flat be a good choice over ribbon and vice versa.
Thanks again
Kevin

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Flat cut is just a fast way of cutting lumber out of logs and results in less waste but less straight grain. Characteristic flame pattern wood grain. Ribbon will be more straight grained and less prone to warpage. Used when more stability is desired.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Kevin where are you in NJ. The locale yard by me only has sapele in various dimensions and African mahogany in 8/4. I don’t have the tools to resaw so I’ve used sapele. Also where are you getting hydrotek from. I ordered mine from outside Boston. Shipping is a killer
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

Kgumby30

Post by Kgumby30 »

Hello Brian
I am near Philadelphia. The lumber is in Marcus Hook, Pa.https://alanmcilvain.com/,and the Hydrotek is in Port Republic. https://southjersey.craigslist.org/boa/ ... 06127.html
Where are you located?
Kevin

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

I'm in Pompton Plains which is Northern Morris County about 20 miles west of Manhattan
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

kens

Post by kens »

Ray Macke trimmed his interior with oak, it looks very nice.
Aside from trim, I have no use for oak.
If you can get oak for $4.50bf, that is a waste of $4.50.
Get something else, anything else.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Kgumby30

Post by Kgumby30 »

Picking up my African Mahogany and Okoume plywood on Tuesday.👍🏻 Can't wait to get building.
Thank you
Kevin

kens

Post by kens »

You're a sensible man,
The cost of the basic wood is but a fraction of the cost of the total build.
The saving of perhaps $2 bf to oak is nonsense.
Mahogany is the 'good grade' wood in ALL categories, strength, glueing, bending, longevity, weight, good looks, screw holding, etc.
Oak is only good for strength, and good looks (while it is still new)
Oak ages like an old woman,
Mahogany ages like fine wine.

think about that...........
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Return to “Wood and Plywood”