Help with staining sides of boat

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

DavO

Help with staining sides of boat

Post by DavO »

I have finished the sides of my 20' barrelback, and just finished putting on a MinWax Prestain conditioner and a MinWax Red Mahogany gel stain. The sides are very blotchy. I have built and stained a lot of furniture in my life, and have always enjoyed the MinWax products, but to be fair, I never used mahogany in the furniture so I don't have experience there. Can you help?

I like staining the woods because I like the look. However, I am not married to MinWax, or to Red Mahogany. I know that there are some chemists out there who have very specific formulas with dyes, shellac, and other complicated techniques - I was hoping for someone who had similar issues and found a more-simple solution or stain product. And, I know that I have some sanding in my future!

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
boat.jpg

Roberta

Re: Help with staining sides of boat

Post by Roberta »

To get the correct color and best results on mahogany, use filler stains from Interlux or Sandusky. Follow their directions or check out builders threads on the forum. Always good to test on scrap first.

Roberta
Attachments
20200514_151348.jpg
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

I used Behlan's Solar-Lux dyes. They are alcohol based and don't raise the grain, so you can sand, apply the dye, and go right to encapsulation with epoxy. I ordered a few different colors and mixed up several samples to get something I liked. Their Mahogany was too red for me, and I toned it down with some browns and black. I like dyes since they don't muddy the grain of the wood (the woodworker in me), but you can't argue with Roberta's results.

I agree with Roberta, test on some samples before applying to your boat. Hopefully you can sand some of that off if you need to redo it. When you make samples, go all the way through your chosen finishing process (stain, epoxy, glass cloth if you are going to glass, etc...) since the color may look different under a glossy finish, and take it out in natural light. Also, make a "natural" test, you might like the color. Even after all the testing, I got my deck stained and was not happy with the color once it was in a large area. The dies sanded off pretty easily and I could correct it before sealing it in epoxy.

20170901_172630.jpg
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Might have been the pre stain conditioner. I used interlux Chris craft mahogany, easy, no blotches.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

DavO

Post by DavO »

Thanks everyone. I ended up with a solution that really worked well. I used some heavily-thinned Sandusky filler/stain and went directly over the MinWax stained sides. It evened up the color very well, and gave it some redness, which I like.

I like the dye idea - I need to just give it a try. The Sandusky stain really raised the grain in some areas, which I will address.

Also, and the frustrating part here, is that I did try out the first stain (and the second) on some scrap wood first, and really liked the results. It just didn't translate well to the actual boat surface.

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Let the stain dry a few days and then just scotch brite to get rid of raised grain.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Sounds like you solved your problem. I wanted to make those who follow aware of an issue I had...
I applied Sandusky "red" mahogany (Chris Craft stain) over sanded sapele. I applied two coats of Petit sealer, epoxy, glass, epoxy (several coats)then about five coats of Captain's varnish, before I flipped.

When I started work on the sheer area to mount the cover board, it was clear that the glass was not adhered as well as I expected. It seemed to peel easily, so I cut a line about two inches below the sheer, figuring I'd blend them after the cover board was installed.

It did not blend well. The two inch area was crystal clear, but where the now feathered-edge of the glass started, it looked muddy. It was somewhat better down the hull, but the clarity contrast combined with the poor adherence...caused me to peel off the glass (I did not use sealer or stain on the hull bottom--whew) and start over. The glass peeled off easily, in sheets, down to the cut line.

On the topsides, I've been using CPES first (one day to cure), then turp-thinned Sandusky red (five days to dry), CPES, then varnish. Seems like a much better bond and I will use that process to redo the sides, sans fiberglass. Boise Brit had the same problem after using a similar process, but he did not fiberglass above the water line. I believe he plans to sand down to bare wood and start over.

Return to “Hankinson designs”