Ready for glass work

Fiberglassing over plywood and one-off fiberglass methods. See: "Boatbuilding Methods", in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: ttownshaw

Bluesman

Ready for glass work

Post by Bluesman »

This is weekend where I glass this hull..... Any last words of wisdom before I begin. The surface is cleaned / ready to go and I have all the materials I think I need. I'm gonna try the dry fit method and wet out the material and the hull in the same go. I'm planning on cutting all the cloth to a rough fit then finish one panel at a time. I think I can lay it all on in a day? Then start the build up layers on the following days. I'm using System Three Silver Tip with a slow hardener.

Tips, thoughts or a discouraging word?
Attachments
20200522_183831.jpg
20200522_183817.jpg
20200522_183804.jpg
Tahoe - 21' under construction

LeClaire, IA - Birthplace of "Buffalo" Bill Cody and home of the American Pickers on The History Channel

Otter

Re: Ready for glass work

Post by Otter »

there are a lot of people on this forum that have had WAY more expeience than me with fiberglassing, but since this process is fresh in my mind (my layup was only 2 weeks ago) I'll give my thoughts:
1. I personally think it's easier to to all three or four coats of epoxy in one section in one day, rather doing one coat over the whole boat. Then you don't have to worry about amine blush, sanding, etc. I did a half of my boat at a time, and it was a BIG hectic effort doing it myself. You really gave to keep moving in order keep working the wet edge, and be careful not to work areas that are starting to set, or inadvertently mis your old epoxy with fresh epoxy via your tools. it may be doable to-do the whole boat if you have some help...but that could cause a lot of unneeded atress.
2. Everybody has their own preference on whether to do dry method or wet method. I have done the dry method on all of my layups...its worked great for me.
3..As I alluded to above, be careful not to overwork any old epoxy. Get your epoxy down, get it squeegee'd out, then leave it alone.
4. Be prepared to use multiple ways to spread.your epoxy and fill the weave. I used a squeegee in some areas, and roller in others. after you get started, you will figure out what works best.
5. if I could do one thing differently, I would have cut a straight edge on my overlapping areas while the epoxy was still "green". My overlaps didnt end up as nice as i would have hoped.

Have fun! You will do a great job. Make sure to have a celebratory beverage ready for when you're done!
Chris
Chris Otterness
Whitewater 16, Guillemot

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

Thanks for the tips and the beer is readily cold for the end of any day. I also plan to brew a new batch of Spotted Cow clone some time this weekend.

LeClaire, IA - Birthplace of "Buffalo" Bill Cody and home of the American Pickers on The History Channel

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Definitely cut the edges while still green. Also, if you cut your cloth then let it stay in place on hull for a day. It will relax and lay down better. It will take the bend at transom better and even take the corner at the transom and chine without having to be cut
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

Laying the cloth on for tomorrow.
Attachments
20200523_192846.jpg
20200523_192839.jpg
20200523_192825.jpg

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Go Ted Go!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

brockj

Post by brockj »

Good luck! I am getting very close to this stage as well on my squirt. From the outset of the build fiberglassing has been the part I was most nervous about. Let us know how it goes, I am considering doing it very much the same way you are going about it.

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

Bill Edmundson wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:33 pm
Go Ted Go!

Bill
You're making me laugh and I think I owe you a case of "natty light"....... Wouldn't be here without you!

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

:)

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

Worked out pretty well but I've got a curtain in the middle that will need to be addressed. Build it up and sand it back later? System Three says don't sand in between coats or you'll end up with white flecks in the finish.
Attachments
20200524_192142.jpg
20200524_192124.jpg
20200524_192116.jpg

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Go ahead and get the weave filled and sand it all fair afterwards.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I fill the weave as quickly as I can. Usually the wet-out and two filler coats. I leave the overlap with just the wet-out coat.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

The starboard side seemed to go a little better with some experience under our belts... The tail of the dragon goes tomorrow.
Attachments
20200525_151839.jpg
20200525_151825.jpg
20200525_151813.jpg

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I wetted out the transom and let it get tacky. That will let the cloth stick to the reverse slope!

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

Thanks Bill, I've considered that and we may try to tack it across the bottom, then pull the cloth down and wrap it up inside the hull with tacks first before we do anything. Provided that looks like it might hold it tight to the transom we may just proceed with a dry fit method in that way. We'll see.

Return to “Fiberglass”