Tom's Tahoe

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

TomB

Re: Tom's Tahoe

Post by TomB »

I'm definitely on the mend, spent about an hour laying in the boat attaching trim to the underside of the carling, then it was time for a break. Wimp!

I went a little "overboard" on the float foam. The polyethylene foam blocks (pool noodle foam) are 24x108x1 and at 1.2 lb density provide about 90lbs of buoyancy. The foam came from www.foambymail.com/PE12-_1/polyethylene ... green.html
Two sheets of foam come rolled in a box, lot of boxes. I have about 1300 lbs of buoyancy with just about every vacant space outboard of the stringers and behind the ceilings filled.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Awesome...Yeah, I'm getting a little old to be crawling around in a boat. but I manage.
Did you glue or fasten the foam or just rely on the ceilings to hold in place?

Mick

TomB

Post by TomB »

Mick,

The foam is 24"+ wide and most of the frame to frame gaps are 23 1/4" so I cut to 23 1/4"+ and wedged the pieces in. Battens run fore and aft for ceiling attachment between frames and the foam is tucked behind the battens and carling. Three 1" layers of foam fill the sides. I had planned to glue the layers together until I got done wrestling the third layer in place and then had trouble pulling them back out. A 3" thick glue-up would be very difficult to flex enough to weave behind the obstruction. Almost all the side pieces would stay in place without ceilings. The sole, on the other hand, has lots of screws to keep the foam from floating away. :D

Tom

TomB

Post by TomB »

The plan was to use finish washers to hold the upholstered ceilings in place. A couple of the finish washers cut the fabric when I put the first panel :x (A nice crescent on the left side)
IMG_0666.jpeg
I stopped before buggering up all the panels and thought about a fix and how to avoid starting over. The backside edge of the finish washer is sharp, not much of a washer at all. Snap studs have a washer back which would help, maybe.
IMG_0667.jpeg
Here is the before and after, a finish washer (without cut fabric) on the right and an upholstery snap button on the left.
IMG_0668.jpeg
Lots of upholstery buttons in my future.

Tom

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Go to Aircraft Spruce and search on Tinnerman. There are some countersunk washers there that may work for you.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

TomB

Post by TomB »

Thanks Roberta, it looks like the G-8 washer would be a good option. I'm going to finish upholstery buttoning the offending panel and see if I like the result. Tom

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

The snap buttons look good. A lot of work, though.

Roberta :D

TomB

Post by TomB »

Roberta wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:23 pm
The snap buttons look good. A lot of work, though.

Snap or washer, work is the same. Making buttons is definitely extra and the trick is to get a good straight line squeeze on the button parts. After thinking about it too much, I put the press part of my drill press to work making buttons, straight line squeeze with good leverage. Then the casting broke where the press table attaches to the column of the drill press giving me something to fix. :x :x :x (I feel like Bullwinkle- "I don't know my own strength". Making buttons is a lot of work.

The dash and controls have been installed. The fuse panel is mounted on the far side of the bulkhead. The cutout at the bottom will be covered by a footrest. There is a similar cutout at the top (behind the dash) providing access and wire routing space.
IMG_0669.jpeg
IMG_0670.jpeg
Now to finish the electrical.

Tom

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Such a beautiful boat Tom. One of the things that intrigued me when I first started was the idea that a dedicated homebuilder could build a boat better than anything that could be bought (at least for a reasonable amount of money). I think you're proving that with this gorgeous project. Just fabulous!
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

TomB

Post by TomB »

Thanks Carl.

The instruments are wired, still have a couple of wires to tuck away and the speaker wires need connecting. Steering hydraulics and single handed line bleeding is next. Hope it goes better than I think it will. I'm expecting major oil spills.

Tom

TomB

Post by TomB »

Bleeding the steering system is a two person job. It took some time to get on my spouses calendar but we got it done. Anticipating major oil spills was on the mark. The bleeder valves on the cylinder have a bit of a nipple and I used a short length of hose going to a pint container. Getting the air bubbles out blew oil under pressure into the hose. It would have sprayed all over. It took 1 1/2 pint of fluid with nearly a pint going through twice. I'll check it again before the steering wheel is permanently mounted to confirm the system is full.

Everything behind the dash is done! The bulkhead and door access to the "V birth" (out of sight storage) is in too.
IMG_0671.jpeg
IMG_0672.jpeg
I used pressed cane to provide through the door ventilation. The door slides to port and stows behind the bulkhead. I would like to find some sort of latch to hold it open and closed.

Tom

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Looking great!! You're gonna love the hydraulic steering

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Hi Tom,

A lot of cool, personal touches in this boat. I love seeing it all come together.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Tom,

Things are looking great! I love that steering wheel. Is that a GPS speedometer?

Lee

Kyle T

Post by Kyle T »

Damn Tom, I'm about to begin a malahini in Sydney and you are an inspiration for ambitious design, patience of process and execution that sees it through. Really nice work!

Kyle
Kyle

Return to “Hankinson designs”